1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What power amp, Tag 60P or ?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by siluro, Apr 11, 2003.

1. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi people

I know theres been loadsa threads on this but just wanted to see if i can get some more help on making up my mind.

At the min im tring to sell my Arcam avr200 to help fund the power amps, but im not sure what i really want. At the mo im looking at either a arcam p85 and p85/3 or 3 tag 60p`s or even a p85/3 and 60p, alough i like to listen to music (my prioritiy) and movies a little loud im really after quality rather than quantity so refrence level isnt really a must.

Ive not hear either of the amps and not really going to get a chance so need opinions of you guys and gals. The chance of finding a parasound 1205a or being able to afford one of the new halo`s is slim so i need a afordable second best.

The room its in is about 2.5m x 3.5m and, the other kit is arcam 88+, tag av32r w/192`s, gallo micros, velo cht-10.

so any help is well apreciated:smashin:

cheers
    lee

2. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi Lee,

You might want to consider Rotel too. I'm using an RMB-1075 with my Tag gear though judging by your budget, an RMB-1095 might be more up your street.

While the Rotel isn't the brace of Brystons I really want (just give me time), I'm very, very happy with it for the money (mine was £600 with a three year warranty).

D.

3. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi david

cheers for that, i did think about rotel but just wasnt sure what they actuly sounded like. If you dont mind me asking where did you find the rotel for 600?

The tag amps were puting me off with their power rating but tag are offering them at £350 (refurb w/w) but once again i havnt heard them.

cheers
    lee

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find the Audiolab/Tag sound preferable - IMO- to Rotel and Arcam for music. For AV I don't think it'll matter that much- it won't be that much noticeable (you just want plenty of power)

A mate upgraded from Arcam to Audiolab poweramps for music, and Rotel for AV.

Since you've got sats I would say Tag 60W poweramps would be plenty.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also having several poweramps (say three Tag 60P's) will be superior to a single Rotel 1075- less shared power supply (three PSU's, not one)

6. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi Lee,

The Rotel was an ex-demo model from Audio-T. I had to use all of my negotiation skills to haggle it down to £620 and then just whined at them until they caved in ;)

As Nathan says, I'm sure the Tags will be enough for your Gallos.

D.

7. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers guys

David, love your method:) i might have to take up residence in their dem room till they give me a good price:D

I think the 60p`s will have to have a bit more of a look in to then, just need to sell my avr200 otherwise ive got to trade it in for arcam or rotel

anymore wisdom is aperciated guys:smashin:

lee