1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What power amp for DSP-A2?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Cambo, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Completely skint after converting my front room into a 'proper' home cinema, and as a result i cannot afford a new AV amp at the moment!
    However, I could afford a power amp to help my ageing DSP-A2 along. Any recommendations, or even better, any for sale?

2. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a rule I would upgrade the weakest link first. It could well be your amp !

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Well, yes it is. But I think Cambo is going the right way. I still think the Yamaha is a fine sounding decoder, let down by poor amplification. If you were to add a Rotel, NAD or Arcam power amp to the A2, it would sound fantastic. The NAD 216, Rotel THX badged amps, or even an older Arcam Alpha 9 (or contemporary equivalent - not familiar with the new Diva range) would revitalise the A2.

Russell

4. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't you want to save your pennys and get something with 6.1 on it ? Then you would have your extra amp, if you know what I mean.

5. Raveun2

Raveun2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My next upgrade will be the speakers and then I too will start on the path of power amps and separate processor.

Your system is only as good as the weakest part. You have to decide weather now is the time you choose to take that route. The purchase of a power amp should be equal to or better than your other equipment. It might be false economy to purchase a cheap power amp now instead of waiting a while and buying a better one. Also can you live without 6.1 and PL2 till you buy a processor with this on.

The alternative is what I did and traded in my A1 for the AX1, because I wanted 6.1 sound. The AX1 was £1000 and I had a 50% buyback guarantee with Richer sounds, 50% of £1600 is £800. So I upgraded for only £200 !