1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What portables do queuing?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Cardiff Irons, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

Slight variation on an earlier thread. For those of you who own (or know of) hard disk portables (5GB plus), which ones allow you to queue tracks directly from the player (not via PC)?

The way I foresee using a portable would be to listen to a track and then, whilst listening to that track, I would want to start queuing subsequent tracks. This would be as the whim takes me, so a pre-loaded playlist would certainly NOT be the answer.

I gather that iPods allow you to do this, but would appreciate feedback about other players, particularly Sony, iriver (I gather the H320 can't, but not sure about the H10) and Archos.

Any feedback very much appreciated. :smashin:

2. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please guys, I'm resorting to bumping now. :lease:

I've spent a whole afternoon searching the web and these forums to see if the HD5 can queue tracks.

I know there's a few HD5 owners on this forum - can you queue up tracks whilst you're listening to music?

3. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ummm not sure..i dont think so.
    as you said you can make pre-made playlists which i use or just stick it on shuffle!
    if there are any songs that you skip shouldnt you delete them!?

Irons - its been a lovely hot day in cardiff mun! what you been doing inside ive been out all day and i got the uber tanline to show for it mate.

4. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply wilto - In answer to your question I've been pretending to work mate. :D

I've never used pre-made lists, mainly because I'm very random about music selection (and get a bit bored with sameness).

My portable "heaven" would be something akin to itunes, where you can scroll through your selection and just add tracks as your fancy takes you. So, I might be listening to "Let it Be" and be able to queue up "Two Little Boys" by Rolf Harris next...and after that "No Surprises" by Radiohead.

Now, I know iPods can do this, I also suspect that the iriver H10 can do it......but can the HD5? Thus far, it seems not. :rolleyes:

5. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ah i see..I've been outside "Revising" all day.

hmmm just on the HD5 now tryna figure out if i can do on the go playlists....not looking good.

6. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks wilto. Let me know if you find an answer. I'm prepared to put up with SS3.1 (a massive hurdle for me), but if you can't queue tracks on the player itself, then it's a deal breaker for me.

I do like the iriver h10, but it's only 5GB (there is a 20GB due out, but it's bigger and bulkier) and is about the same price as the HD5 (15GB of extra storage for free :eek: ).

7. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm really sorry to say that you can't queue up tracks on the go on the HD5. You can make a playlist on the HD5 on the go, but you have to listen to each track in turn to add it to the playlist - a little bit pointless and time consuming.

It annoys me a bit because I belive they could have added queing quite easily (says me, the expert, right...). To add a track to a playlist, while playing the track (and viewing it on the now playing screen) you hold the 'up' arrow, this takes you to a menu where you choose which playlist to add it to.

When listening to a track and scrolling through the rest of your music, (with a different track highlighted) pressing the 'right' button does absolutely nothing it all. Now why couldn't that take you to a similar menu to the playlist selection, and add it to a play-next list? Does that make sense? Makes sense to me and would be very useful.

8. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. It's pretty much as I suspected, but I'm (like you) quite staggered that it's not included as a feature.

Oh well, it looks like iriver H10 or Archos (can anyone confirm for definite that these DO allow queuing on the go?

9. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I too am very annoyed that this queing feature hasn't been included , i got my nw-hd5h afew weeks ago now(other than this problem i'm very happy with it , no cracked buttons so far!!!!) i "upgraded" from my brick like creative zen which could que up tracks , the zen was my first mp3 player and i assumed that queing tracks would be a common feature on most mp3 players , it is the main thing i miss about using my zen although it is worth putting up with lack of queing for a much less brick like player ............don't know if there was really a point to that , just a rant :suicide:

10. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Irons - don't know if you got decisive...I have the H10 20Gb and it has a thing called "quicklist", which would be perfect for you. Whilst listening to any song you look through all others on the player and add them to the quick list. You then have to play the quick list, but you can then keep adding to it. NS

11. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have discovered a very crude way of queueing songs to be played next on my HD3.

Whilst your song is playing, browse the player so you are ready to play the next one of your choice, ie. have it lined up so if you pressed the play button it would start playing.

Then, press "Menu", and the player will switch to the menu screen. But it will now stay on this screen, and when you press menu again it will switch back to the song you have lined up.

So it is very crude, and only allows one song at a time to be queued, but still an effective workaround.

12. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    These do proper on-the-go playlists, in comparison to the laughable way to achieve it in the HDx.

iAudio M3/X5/M5 (select to add to DPL when navigating tracks)
    Creative HDD players (menu structures vary but full on-the-go playlist generation)
    All 3G+ iPods (Hold down the centre button on any Artist, Album or Track to put them into an on-the-go playlist)
    Rio HDD players (full on-the go playlist generation. Create, Save, Edit)

etc

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe Archos players can be added to dodgy's list, as these support dynamic playlists (if memory serves correctly ...)

Very impressed with the way the iPod handles this, though - arguably the most effortless method, and one of the player's best features.

And yes, the rather feeble way to ... is 'achieve' an appropriate word? ... on-the-go playlisting with Sony's HDx series is, as stated above, 'laughable'.

14. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hey, whats the problem guys? It works ok.

It is hardly appreciative if people going to refer to my comments (or rather my advice) as "laughable", is it?

Yeh it might not be quite as smart or easy as with the iPod etc, but at least I have suggested a way to do it.

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy fella - our comments aren't directed at you, honest! :hiya: We're referring to the fact that a major corporation like Sony has reduced folk like you and us to such workarounds, when they could've achieved so much more.

Friends? :thumbsup:

16. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    :smashin: :cool:

17. ak47wong

ak47wong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unfortunately, even this crude workaround doesn't seem to work on the HD5.

Here's what happens when I follow your instructions:

Whilst my song is playing, I browse the player so I am ready to play the next one of my choice.

Then, I hold down "MENU" and the player switches to the top-level menu screen and stays there. But when I hold down "MENU" again, it returns to the playback screen. I cannot get back to the song I had lined up.

The only way to do it on the HD5 seems to be to leave the player on the screen that shows the next song to be played. But it automatically reverts to the playback screen in 30 seconds if you don't touch any of the controls. So you either have to do it during the last 30 seconds of the song, or keep pressing buttons every 20 seconds or so to keep it on the "next song" screen.

Gotta love the HD5 :)

Andrew

18. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same experience from this HD5H owner ...

19. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The Creative range of players allow you to do this - at least, both my DAP Jukebox and my Zen Sleek allow it. You just navigate to the track you want and hit "add to selected" ("queue" on the DAP)

I had an iPod for a while and the inability to do this was one of the most frustrating things about it (apart from the fact that the HDDs kept dying - I sent it back for a refund after the third one).

20. iamtreebeard

iamtreebeard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the hd3 you have to hold down the menu for about 3 seconds, i think that is what is meant in the previous post, might be worth a try on the hd5

21. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And all this is easily fixable if Sony would just release new firmware for the damn thing! Why don't we all email them nicely and ask them.

When I first got my Vaio Pocket it couldn't do gapless playback. After phoning Sony and emailing them they released new firmware 3 months after my first call. The new firmware addressed the issue and mp3's can now be played perfectly seamlessly.

I don't for a second think that they wrote new firmware just for me, but if enough people complain and threaten to deter future buyers on forums like these you might just be surprised at what might happen... :)