1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what plsama do i get for 1500??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by 4bp, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 4bp

4bp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i have just stumbled upon this site and am finding it a superb place to get info on plasmas. i have never owned a plasma and want to buy my first one.
    i have about 1500 to spend and looking to get a 37" (or 42") with a table top stand. i dont mind what make i get. i would idealy like (if possible) to get 5.1 surround sound aswell. i will be hooking up my ps2 and sky+ and dvd player.

i have found the Samsung PS42V4SX 42" Plasma TV with 5.1 and a glass stand for £1326. is this model any good?

what should i get??? someone please give me advice!!!!! :lease:

thanks in advance for your help

dan

2. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That screen isnt HDTV compatible if that matters to you?

3. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you have SKY or Freeview. If So get a Panasonic TH37PW7 £1000 from richer sounds with 3 year warranty. add £125 for a RGB to VGA converter.Table top mounts can be had on Ebay for around £50. and a halfway decent All in one Home cinema suround system can be had for around £150.

4. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you have SKY or Freeview. If So get a Panasonic TH37PW7 £1000 from richer sounds with 3 year warranty. add £125 for a RGB to VGA converter and £40 for a Scart switch box.Table top mounts can be had on Ebay for around £50. and a halfway decent Home cinema suround system can be had for around £150. Most furniture shops do AV stands from around £75. Just within your budget for a dam good screen.

5. 4bp

4bp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will getting sky +. does thismake a differnecE?
    would that be all i need to get?

6. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This is all you will need the PW7 does not have a tuner so if you have sky/freeview you will not need one. Please note that this screen is not HD ready, but as HD is in reality a good few years off i would not wory and in my opinion a good SD screen (the pw7 is one of the best) displays SD pictures better than HD screens.

7. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    its all well and good saying HD is a few yrs off but if you can by a screen now that will handle HD it will save you buying another screen in the near future, but if your not interested in HD then a SD panel like the one mentioned will do you just fine.

8. paolo999

paolo999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky HD starts in February.

If you want HD you can pick up a Hitachi 42" PD5200H for about £1500, currently offered with a free portable DVD player too. Not as good contrast as the standard defintion PW7 (i.e. not as good blacks).

Stretch another £500 and you can have an HD panasonic with the great contrast they are known for.

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Where did you get this from? I wasn't aware that an official announcement had been made as yet.

10. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SKY are starting a limited HD service early next year, but it wont be another 3 to 4 years before it a a mainstream service, and with the impending format war over HD discs i think it is a better desision to buy a good SD screen as their will be only SD material available for the forseable future. Why spend around £500 more for fetures that you can not use. Espescialy as SD material will look no better and in many cases a lot worse on a HD screen due to upscaling.

11. 4bp

4bp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the help.
    if i decide to go for a non hd tv, what is the best one with an inbuilt tuner? or is the pw7 the best?
    i am now so unsure whether to invest in an hdtv or not!!!

12. mikeoxsmall

mikeoxsmall
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the samsung ps42v4sx ,and feed it a good signal and the picture is great, buy that and wait for true high definition tv's to come out next year(that is what i am going to do) these so called hdtv's are not high definition at all, they lack the pixels to broadcast hdtv properly, i have seen high definition here in sweden on a pioneer set, and the picture was not as good as would imagine, buy the samsung, you get them for about £1100 on e-bay including the stand, now that is a bargain