What Plasma would you buy?

HCarvalho

Established Member
Reaction score
If money wasn't a problem what plasma would you buy? Panasonic Professional screens? I remember a few years ago reading that fujitsu made the best plasmas but they were very expensive. So, is there any plasma brand that is only acsessible to the wealthy?

Don't know what pro panels are about but if I had the money the Panasonic ZT65 I guess would be the set Id be looking at. I'd certainly not go for a huge LCD as some may, maybe look at OLED.

Don't know what pro panels are about but if I had the money the Panasonic ZT65 I guess would be the set Id be looking at. I'd certainly not go for a huge LCD as some may, maybe look at OLED.

Yeah this for me, im kinda regretting getting the vt65 knowing now that panasonic arnt putting money into r&d plasma anymore.

Wouldn't like the job of mounting that on my wall :laugh:
Yeah this for me, im kinda regretting getting the vt65 knowing now that panasonic arnt putting money into r&d plasma anymore.
I think all of this year's range will be worth a lot in the second hand market in a few years time, but the ZT60 in particular will likely be selling for crazy numbers. Either that, or with OLED coming along we'll have to give them away like old CRTs ;)

Last edited:

what difference does that make? you buy a tv for what it can do not what future models can do.

i bought a GT50 because it was really cheap imo for the quality and that i knew plasma was being phased out, so i wanted to get a decent set that lasted me 5-10 years until OLED had matured, came down in price and was refined.

If it had to be plasma, I'd go for the ZT or a professional monitor.

To be honest, if money was no object, I'd have a dedicated theatre room and a high end projector.

even for people where money is not a problem, does not mean they will go out and buy the "best of the best".

e.g. i know people earning 10 times what i earn, yet i have a better tv, etc. even though i do not even buy the best.

imo bang for buck is the best way to decide.

e.g. you have a choice of 5 tv's let's say they are all the same size 50".

one is £400 and is rated 7/10 in terms of PQ (ut50)
one is £600 and is rated 8/10 (st50)
one is £800 and is rated 9/10 (gt50)
one is £1500 and is rated 9.5/10 (gt60)
one is £4000 and is rated 10/10 (zt65)

imo the £800 (gt50) is the best to buy due to the law of diminishing returns, the more you pay the less you get for your money.

(the prices above are slightly inaccurate, i can't be bothered checking them all thoroughly but they are roughly right)

therefore even if i was earning say £200K a year, i would still buy the GT50.

i would then purchase a av receiver and floor standing speakers using similar analysis as to the one used for the tv, bang per buck. e.g. a onkyo 616 for £300 is amazing imo for the money and you would need to spend a lot more to improve on that. so that is what i would get currently unless there is something else around £300 that is better.

Don't know what pro panels are about ....

Professional panels were the forerunners of plasma TVs around 10 years ago. They were aimed at businesses, had no TV tuner and speakers were optional.

All the money was invested in the screen and they produced (and still produce) superb image quality especially when calibrated by a pro.

My 42" PH9 will be 7 years old in October and although the screen res is only 1024*768 don't be fooled into thinking it's a lesser quality picture than Full HD.

Because it's only a screen there's far less to go wrong. Mine has performed faltlessly since purchase and will do for many more years. It has none of those picture artifacts present in the TV range.

Professional panels were the forerunners of plasma TVs around 10 years ago. They were aimed at businesses, had no TV tuner and speakers were optional.

All the money was invested in the screen and they produced (and still produce) superb image quality especially when calibrated by a pro.

My 42" PH9 will be 7 years old in October and although the screen res is only 1024*768 don't be fooled into thinking it's a lesser quality picture than Full HD.

Because it's only a screen there's far less to go wrong. Mine has performed faltlessly since purchase and will do for many more years. It has none of those picture artifacts present in the TV range.

Sorry lol I know what they are but don't know what new models are available.;)
Used to be a lot of chat on here about pro panels but the consumer units seem to have caught up to a point people don't need a pro panel now and little gets posted.

Sorry lol I know what they are but don't know what new models are available.;)
Used to be a lot of chat on here about pro panels but the consumer units seem to have caught up to a point people don't need a pro panel now and little gets posted.

Ah, sorry Scooby. Maybe lots of former owners have dumped them in favour of Full HD models. I see no point until I can actually use 1080P or the panel fails. Blu-ray disks seem overpriced and my panel is built like the proverbial brick latrine so no change any time soon. ;)

imo those pro panels are far too expensive, you could buy a decent second hand car for the cost of one of them.

how much difference is there really between say a GT50 at £800 compared to a £8K pro panel? is it enough to justify spending 10 times as much?

also surely the ZT65 is going to effectively kill the pro panel market?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom