1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what plasma would you buy today

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andrew constant, Jun 7, 2003.

1. andrew constant

andrew constant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i know youall probably all got a plasma , but if you was to go and buy one today what 42" plasma would u go for

2. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you can run to it then I would go for the Panny although I expect someone else will recomend another make.
    But definately stick out for plasma not RPTV/LCD. cya

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In 42" it's got to be Panasonic. Seen them all, mostly in front of me for hours, it's the best. In 42" that is... had 2 50" go wrong.

4. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    But....

Watch out for flicker (and noise!) from the panny. Some people see it some don't. Sadly I do and had to rule it out.

Cheers

Dave

5. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pioneer 43mxe with a 5002 card

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    MXE is no use with a hcpc, rectangular pixels and all that.

7. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW

I don't understand the rectangular pixel problem - can you explain please?

Thanks
    Taimur

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isn't it the Fujitsu 1024x1024 panels that have the rectangular pixels? I've not heard of the Pio having retangular pixels??

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi,

Yes, the Pioneer 43" plasmas (as do the 42" HD Panasonic and HD NEC models) have rectangular pixels as they are 1024x768 resolution on a 16:9 screen. Unfortunately the manufacturers have yet to develop 1366x768 or 1280x720 panels in 42" or 43" sizes but hopes were raised recently when the specs for the new Panasonic 6 series commercial screens in the States were incorrectly stated in press releases as having a resolution of 1366x768. D'oh! Nearly...

Steve

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That rectangle prob is a fujitsu prob too, they are actually 1024x768 with software interpolation to 1024 sq, to coincide with jap. HDTV format that never happened. They're a PC nightmare, the DVI is not industry standard, and BTW those 1366x768 screens are a nightmare too, can never get them pixel perfect, and again Fuji DVI is a worry. Don't get me wrong though, they're great if no PC or iScan ultra is involved. Any PC users wanting hi-res should consider the Pio. 503MXE, they'll spend their time watching not fiddling.

11. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The 1366x768 Fuji 50" screens can accept a 1360x768 DVI signal which leaves 3 columns of unused pixels on either side of the screen. The procedure is detailed somewhere on the US forums (after much debate about whether it was possible) and is quite simple to follow and works well.

Cheers,
    Ian.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Read the thread, seen the film, tried the pie. Simple to follow yes, but I've got a life to lead and about 25 other plasmas to interface with. I need plug and play, and it should be that, no procedures, no nothing. You can't do it without the screen scaling the picture with VGA either, except with 1280x768, obviously leaving more border. That's the good bit with the panny 42", they leave you to do as you like. Flicker is more evident with say, a JS VGA box than it is with s-video to my eyes, and with a progressive signal, ie PC or dvd prog, it's not a problem, but I do agree it can be irritating to some, and in very quiet environments sometimes you can hear a buzz on very bright screens. They all have upsides and downsides, in the end you have to decide your own priorities. I use s-video on the panasonics herefor TV and always recommend it to clients who want to show TV, and am prepared to demonstrate why. As to why it should be so, I have no idea, maybe I don't notice so much when the picture's not as good!

13. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can see that someone who sets up 25 plasmas at once might find it a pain to spend 10 minutes on each one to get a pixel perfect 1360x768 DVI fed display. However it's a one-off procedure that is a very small price to pay for an end user.

If you are thinking of using an hcpc, then it's ideal. The pixels are rectangular and there are very few other plasmas with the ability to display such a high resolution through DVI.

I've spent MUCH longer trying to find a us proxy to allow me to play Terminator 2 in WM9 format...

Cheers,
    Ian.