1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Plasma, unsure what to do

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by John John, Apr 4, 2005.

1. John John

John John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to purchase a new TV (Plasma or LCD), I don't want to spend more than £1800 inc an extended warranty. I've had a Panasonic 32" already but wasn't happy, so sent it back. I'm now looking at a plasma as you seem to get so much more for your money (42" for same £). However, with my budget I'm restricted on choice.

Do I purchase an LG, Phillips, Samsung etc etc now, or is it best to wait a few month and see if any new products come out that will bring down the cost of Panasonics, Toshibas, Sony's etc.....? I'm happy to wait a few months but would prefer not to - can't wait!!.

Appreciate that prices are continually dropping and that you have to bite the bullet at some point, I just don't want to make a hasty decision now, that I will regret in a few weeks.

Plus ...the resolution on all of the cheaper models appears to be 840 x 460. If I wait to purchase am I likely to get a higher definition (1024x) plasma, and would it give a much better PQ anyway?

Or should I forget the whole thing a get an 32" LCD......again.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. John John

John John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my untrained eye, what difference is the panny over an LG PX11, resolution is the same, doesn't appear to offer anything else much. Why would I pay the additional £400.

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delve into the site and you will realise that 400 quid is a small price to pay! :)

5. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Do NOT get a samung, I very much lived to regret it and sold it on very cheap very quickly and replaced it with a Panasonic PWD6 which is far superior.

6. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    John John - for an extra £400 quid you don't gain anything in picture quality over the LGPX11. Go for the LG and save a few quid and put that towards a decent surround system. :D

7. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ross-P, in the interests of a balanced opinion, would you like to back up this advice with any kind of reasoning or comparison. I'm just curious you understand.

8. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi JohnCCFC - My balanced opinion is that I have seen both with my own eyes and I can't see the difference ( my brother has a Panny which has been properley set up ). The other thing is if you look at the LG bashing no need thread near the end an owner of both the LGPX11 and the Panny says both are as good as each other. Hope this answers your question :) .

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    abs is not refering to the PE30 but the PW6...........

10. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Maybe I'm confusing myself here ! :confused: , I'm refering to the PW6, at least I think thats what my brothers got ! will check sometime.

11. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comparisons between the old Panasonic and the LG are useless, seen as the new Panasonic PE50 is a league above the old PE30, and the difference in price is now very small... I'd pay the extra £300 for the better performance alone.

I think you'd be mad to choose the LG over the Panasonic PE50 seen as the PE50 is already on sale for well within your budget. IMO you get better performance, a better product, better customer support and all from a much more reputable manufacturer. Come to think of it, I'd pay the extra £300 even if performance was identical.

I'm not brand bashing, just brand preferencing - if you can afford it, surely you go with Panasonic? Anybody could tell you that one!

Edit: Oh, and am I right in thinking that the Panasonic can accept 720p on component whereas the LG can't? (useful for upscaling, and potentially for HD-DVD and maybe even Sky).

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Old one couldn't PE30, but perhaps the new one can (better be able too)

13. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the LG can accept 720p on Component...

Temporary mental lapse - what is the PE30 equivalent to - PW7?

(From what I've seen, I preferred the PW6 to the PW7 - but that could just as easily have been the configuration).

And from what I've seen, I wouldn't pay an additional £400 for the PE50 vs. the PX11 - although I haven't actually seen the PE50, and I have no particular need for a built-in tuner (if I had, that might sway me more towards the PE50).

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PE30 is based on 6 series glass, PW7 is 6 series glass and 7 series electronics, PWD7 is 7 series glass and electronics, strange but true...................

15. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Im thinking of either lg rz42px11 or panasonic th37pw7b. Would i be better to go for the panasonic and if so what is a resonable price for component input board. Ive read on this site the tuner is no good is it just that it disables a few functions or is it picture quality

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £85 for component (BNC) board.........£150 for the RCA one :eek:

17. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Do you know if the picture quality will be much different to my old panasonic 28"crt

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well it will be a hell of a lot bigger and should be better if set-up properly with good sources................(see www.homecinemaengineering.com for how to set it up properly)

19. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I went and got the 37pw7. Very impressed. Better than the LG i looked at not sure what firmware it was. Just need component cables now

20. superk

superk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [EDITED BY MODERATOR: codlord
    No offers of sale except in classified forums please.]

21. John John

John John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just this second ordered the PX11 from John Lewis in Bluewater - they price matched the model that I had seen in Beales of Bournmouth, £1299 !!

From what I can see there is no real difference in PQ, there were several plasmas running, including the Panny PE50. Price is great, I have free delivery and a 5yr guarantee!

22. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    hi john john...did you get a 5 year warranty included for £1299 ???

also..will they price match if you order over the phone as my nearest john lewis is about 60 miles away

23. John John

John John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, 5 yr warranty included. I purchased over the phone with my credit card, it took just 5 minutes. I didn't visit a John Lewis store at all.

Delivery is next Thursday, brilliant.

24. John John

John John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I did do was to get John Lewis at Southampton to price match the Beales of Bournmouth offer (the nearest JL Branch). Once they had agreed the price match, I had to get my local John Lewis at Bluewater to match the price of the JL Southampton branch.

This didn't take long and it was all completed over the phone.

25. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    cheers for that mate, just one more thing john, did you mention the 5 year warranty..haggle for it, or did they mention it ? ... just need to get my ammo ready before i ring..

as im really interested in the LG plasma, what happens if its the older firmware version, is it upgradeable or is it a risk you take ? thanks again

26. John John

John John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just confirmed with JL that the cost still included the 5yr warranty, there was no haggle for it. All their TV come with a 5yr warranty.

As JL have such a high turnover of stock it is unlikely that they would have sets with the old firmware still around (various threads talk about this very subject).

They were very polite and understanding, the staff appeared to want to get me the best deal. It was a very simple process.

Good luck

27. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    cheers john, are you wall mounting yours ?..if so can i ask which mount you'll go for ? thanks again

28. John John

John John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to wall mount it, but haven't decided on which one just yet. The one I did see the LG mounted on ended up bringing the TV about 6" from the wall. I want one as flush with the wall as possible.

I think I'll keep my eye on them in a few shops over the weekend, try and gauage which one keep is as flat to the wall as possible. Its all very well buying over the internet, but you'll never know exactly how it fits and looks until you get it mounted.

Unless of course someone knows the best mount at the best price.

Cheers