1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Plasma to buy from Curry's??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by cyberbob69, Jan 1, 2005.

1. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I know another post asking which Plasma to buy, I know you guys must be getting sick of people asking the same question, but it is my first post here so be kind, please?

Any way I've been looking at

Techwood TWP4210 £1,199
    LG RZ42PX11 £1,499
    Samsung PS42D4SXX £1,699
    Philips 42PF9946 £1,899
    Panasonic TH42PE30B £2,392

I would like to keep in the £2000 budget. I've been reading alot about the Panasonic PW6 and the PW7 and I know I can get both of those well within my budget range.

I'll be using it mainly for DVD's my player at the moment is a toshiba one, it has component output and RGB. But I might be looking into getting one with progressive scan, is progressive scan a lot better than component or RGB?

I'm not to bothered about speakers with the T.V or poor sound from it, since have a surround setup.

I'll also be using Sky digital with the T.V and my X-box.

My aging sony 42" rear projection is now showing it's age, And I've finally talked my wife into letting me have a plasma.

Thanks in advance guys for any info.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for replying so quick,

Wow! Your right their is plenty of info there. Just reading it now, So a lot of people say the PW6 is better than the PW7. only £1,500 for the PW6 not bad at all, some left over for boards.

To be honest I don't know much about Plasma's. too much to take in.
    So if I wanted to use my DVD with RGB in and Sky with RGB in and my Xbox. So I would need either 2 scarts and a component in(For DVD instead of RGB). what board would I need, Also i would like to be able to connect my computer too.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Xbox will ouput component too mate (do you have an AV amp?) can connect PC via VGA (one is built in to all panny panels) or via an optional DVi board for digital goodness.

5. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a sony STR-DB2000.
    So what will I need to connect all these up, I think I'd rarther connect my PC up via DVI. depends how much more it is. Just had to pop out, Brought what Plasma magizine going to read through that later.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well a JS RGB>VGA box for sky and DVi card for PC add component board for DVD/Xbox (if AMP has component switching need just one component input board) if not 2 which will push price up £1961 for a PW7 (silver) with JS RGB>VGA box DVI board BNC component board and mount from AV-sales Add cables (dont know what length you need) so £2k ish all in mate

7. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So you should think I should go for the PW7? Going out now, I will have to look into what my AV Receiver has, tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help. I'm not going to rush into it, going to have a good look around on these forums.

One more question at the moment I've got a sony STR-DB2000 and I'm using a B&W center speaker, B&W fronts and Teac rear, are the KEF eggs any good? at the moment I haven't got a sub, but the eggs do come with one. that might be a later upgrade. The spearkers I've got are a bit big and bulky, just wondering if it were worth upgrading?

8. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There is some issue with Panasonic not having a DVI / HDCP. HDCP is what sky will use in 2006 - please check

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny has DVI with HDCP and 7 series should have HDMI the issue is that they dont support the 720p @ 50Hz and 1080i 50 Hz (25Hz) that sky have said they will use............ there is no issue with HDCP but connecting Sky HD set top Box
    to Panny pw6/7 screens is not possible without adding a scaler or other solution.....Which we wont know about for a while yet

10. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the correct info, I was not 100% sure of what the exact problem was, only that there was one.. Are the Pioneers ok in this regard with no gotchas ?

Like most people, I think it is hard to stump the extra cash for the scaler/converter boxes etc

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    only the Poneer FDE/XDE TV range are as for a PANEL NEC may be fime MAW will find out soon...... LG is also compatible but is an SD plasma PX11 (well i have been told it is) there is an HD unit PY10 but not easy to find...

12. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    think currys are doing the the pio 435 for £2800 witha dvd recorder thrown in.

13. cyberbob69

cyberbob69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Right, I think I'm getting there.

Just been looking at AV sales and they have the

Panasonic TH-42PWD7BK for a £100 more than

Panasonic TH-42PW7B is it worh going for that or not?
    anyway been looking at my gear, my sony has 2 component inputs so one for my DVD player and one for my Xbox.
    going for the free stand and the DVI-D TY-42TM6DB or is best to go for the free Component Video (BNC)?

If I go for the free DVI-D TY-42TM6DB i need to add Component Video BNC
    +£66.49

Will I also need to add a Additional PC slot for £66.49 if I want to connect my PC up?

And I need a JS RGB>VGA £126.99. Is that all I need or Am i missing something. So what leads do I need for my sky? I guess a RGB scart from sky to JS RGB>VGA, so what lead do I need from my JS RGB>VGA box to my plasma.

And what about my Video. whould I need a Quintro+ RGB Scart Switch Box £91.06.
    I think I've covered everything, let me know if I've missed anything?