1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Plasma - Spend My Money Please!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jblandford, Feb 3, 2003.

1. jblandford

jblandford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I really need some advice. I would really like a plasma screen, but I do not know which one to go for. Here are my parameters.

budget - £2500
    needs to be V.good with a PC as I will be using one on the plasma a lot.

I have a reasonable system;
    Toshiba 32WD98B
    Toshiba DVD SD100
    Yamaha A5
    Kef 2005's/sub
    Panasonic Sky Decoder
    Mitubishi 651 VCR
    Pronto

I really need to re-connect all the gear as i am told all should go through the s-video on the amp and into my current TV as a monitor anyway (Toshiba 32"/100hz/digital).

I also never watch the terrestrial signal at all and just use the sky box.

Currently connected as follows

Scart 1 - Sky - Audio into amp
    Scart 2 - VCR - Audio into amp
    Scart 3 - Splitter(Cheap and nasty) X-Box, PS1, N64. X-Box Audio into amp using fibre optic cable.
    S-Vidio on AV3 - DVD Player. Audio into amp via co-axial.
    Front component input - PC. Audio into the front aux on amp cos onlu just got this so need to cable around the back.

Cables - not expensive at the moment, although not your 2.99 from the market either.

Evantually want to get to the stage where the display id only fed by the minimum of cables (1?) and the gear is behind me in the wall behinda stainless steel door using infra-red repeaters.

There - a challenge, you will all agree. Some good basic building blocks, some obvious questions (what plasma for TV&PC) and some implied (any sugestions forimprovement).

Aplogies for the spelling, but i cannot see the display very well as PC signals and TV's DO NOT MIX!!

HEEEEEEEEEEELP

JB

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Get yourself an ex-demo if I were you. Far better a warrantied used than a cheap new. You'll get a fujitsu, panny or pio for that used. Pio has xga res for PC if you can find one.

3. jblandford

jblandford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ideere i would look ne of these exdemo units?

j

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
  5. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jblandford

Try www.ilgroup.co.uk they currently have ex-demo units and the like...for example panny 4 for £2500 9 month old and other good deals.

Good Luck

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Panny 4 would be just the ticket, nobody but you would ever know it wasn't new!

7. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny 4 from Ilgroup is 2500 exc vat but it isn`t 9 months old,it comes with a 9 month warranty.Having spoken to Ilgroup these models come direct from Panasonic with hardly any hours on the clock (less than 100)and in immaculate condition.For pc use the Eizo should also be considered, not popular but a great screen.

See more details in my post in special offers.

8. datanet

datanet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can stretch a little, think about the Hitachi 42PMA400E...£2475 new +vat. 1024 x 1024 res. It doesn't have a tuner...but you have a Sky box and it'll take the S-video from your amp, or RGB direct from the Sky box. Also two VGA's for PC's and component, so you've plenty of upgrade options.

Personally I didn't find the 852 res 32" Panasonic any good for PC, the Pioneer was good and I'd imagine the new Fujitsu is pretty good too (sometimes known as expensive Hitachi... :) )
    The Samsung and LG 'all in ones' looked the part but just didn't really perform...

One point, the Hitachi does have fans...the ones that come with it are very noisy! ;-)
    But if you want good PC and price....

Chris