what plasma? or go for LCD? or 1080p?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by acerick22, Dec 30, 2006.

1. acerick22

acerick22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

Been a long time since I been on here. But I am thinking of diving into the world of plasma's again and this time actually buy one.

I have not been keeping up to date with the market in terms of technology over the last couple of months but here is what i am thinking so far....

ok, overall i think the panny 42px600 is probably the best screen to go for???but what is the best price for a 3 or 5 year warranty? however, the px60 has taken such a massive drop in price? but why???
    also the px60B is out now, what is the difference?
    then there is talk on the street that LCD's are leading the way again? if so which one? price?

finally, its that time of year or will be come jan that panny will deliver news of new models coming out 2007, does anyone know of these?

and not too forget im thinking of a 1080p panel also as is that not true HD and give it a year everyone will be wanting it?

so if anyone could shed some light that would be fantastic!!!

2. acerick22

acerick22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi all, shame that no one could shed some light on my queries above?

anyone?

3. Loobster

Loobster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    If you weren't asking questions that are discussed every day on this forum, and which are easily found by the search function, you would perhaps get a response.

4. acerick22

acerick22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yes fair enough, however, i have particular questions. i would have to search through a lot of threads to get my exact answers.

hence the reason why i created a new thread hoping to get some help from someone! after all this forum is for helping one another in whatever manner regarding plasma's.

geez!

5. misae

misae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Fromy our questions you need to research more on the topic independently instead of expecting someone to give you the perfect answer.

I will have a go, but the perfect answer lies in your head not someone elses as your circumstances are different to others.

The Panasonic's have dropped in price because

a) they have been a blockbuster hit and Panasonic has probably made its money for its fab plants and is raking it in. Unusually they have passed on this benefit to the consumer.
    or
    b) there was a slowdown on expected sales and projections and Panasonic produced too many of the panels and have dumped them onto the market which has affected their prices. What it means for the consumer is cheaper goods.

1080p Plasma's are not going to be cheap at all so if you want one of them expect to pay £2500+ when they debut sometime later this year. I also would not buy a first generation screen of anything.... would wait til the dust settled on the 1080p Plasma's.

If you want the best 1080p screen right now go grab a Sony X series. They is lovely and only £2500+.

6. acerick22

acerick22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thank-you very much for that info. That is much appreciated!!!

i will look into the sony x series but it seems clear that i should wait for a decent priced 1080p plasma I guess. What about the pioneer 5000ex or the 50xd, are they true native 1080p screens or not? there is a big price difference between the two?

7. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +362
    Yes the pioneer 5000ex is a true 1080p plasma....plus panny has there 50" true 1080p plasma out now as well..

The panny 1080p plasma is about £500 cheaper then the pioneer one..

sony 1080p LCD is very good for a LCD TV,if you can get hold of one without a cloudly backlight...(But still a long way from plasma PQ standards ::black level & motion is still far superior on a good plasma. )

8. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    1080p plasmas have already debuted, albeit in small numbers, with the Pioneer 5000EX (£5000) and Panasonic 50PF9 (£4300).

What's your budget and what sort of screen size are you after?

Next you'll need to decide whether LCD or plasma floats your boat - demo, demo, demo ;) Look at as many different sources as you can, compare the two and see which you prefer.

Popular LCDs at the moment are the Sony W and X series (as misae mentioned) - both 1080p. Sharp XDE series may also be worth a look.

The next question you'll need to answer is whether you need 1080p, and can see the difference. Again, demo.

Pioneer 5000EX (£5000) is 1080p, the 507XD (£2099) is not.

9. misae

misae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the info, did not realise they were here in the UK already.

10. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    No worries. I think the Panny only appeared just before Christmas, but the Pioneer has been around for a spell now.

11. acerick22

acerick22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    some interesting facts there.

my budget i would say is about 2k. im thinking a 1080p will be a must soon enough. i've always been more inclined towards a plasma over an lcd, due to the fact i want a 42" screen.

i will have to search into 1080p plasmas and lcds. i dnt know much a out the lcd's at all.

how come the pioneer 507xd is stated as being able to show 1080p ???

12. voodooflux

voodooflux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    If you really want a 42" 1080p screen then you may be forced down the LCD route, as I don't think there are any 1080p 42" plasmas due from any manufacturer?

The 507XD can accept a 1080/24p input, it just downscales it.