1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what plasma for approx 3K pioneer, pany pw6,phillips

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mikeham, Sep 12, 2004.

1. mikeham

mikeham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help me !!

I have ben reading this forum and cannot decide if the panasonic PW6, pioneer 434 or the phillips matchline.

Originally i liked the Hitachi however have been put off by buzzing, ALis and warranty support.

one sofa will be approx 6ft away from the screen, the other will be 15ft away.

I want to wall mount on an articulating wall mount so the panel is flush to the wall in a corner or out accross the corner.

42 inch seems to be the preferred choice.

At present I have Sky and a Sony Davs 500 DVD however I am prepared to invest in a new DVD if advised.

Cash is important but I want a panel that will provide a fantastic DVD picture and still be good to pass the eagle eyed test of the wife. when watching the soaps....

what connections should I use and is a separate tuner box better if I am wall mounting ( one wire to the panel? )

Any other technical advice would be welcome. I feel I need to make a decision and buy one or the other.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    3 very different plasmas there. Personally I wouldn't cros the road to p*** on a burning Philips, well not if it was still connected to the mains! The choice at your price range could be the PHD6 panasonic, the 434 and MXe-1 panels. As you have sky a separate tuner box is not needed, and there are many ways of achieving a single cable connection to the screen, a media box is far from the only choice, and they all use proprietary cables which will need to be buried in the wall I presume? This will mean getting the cable in advance of the rest possibly. The plugs are on the large side, difficult to thread. The best route to this is an AV amp as a hub, and most custom installers use multi purpose video cable, for me it's 5 core for video, + twisted pair for IR control, this gives component and s-video connections down 1 outer sheath, good for picture in picture with the Panasonic panel.

3. mikeham

mikeham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW
    thanks - forget the phillips

Excuse the ignorance, what is the difference tween the 434 and mxe-1

I do intend to 'bury' the connection cable to the panel as I will the decorate, ie get carpet up for speaker wires etc....
    Any advice on a set up and why?

I am in the midlands and would need help with set up and connections. Any advice on installers?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hmm, bit out of my operating range, you could try asking at your local Richer souns, but they don't stock either of those panels, so might be reluctant. Loads do it all themselves with a bit of support from here and their retailer. 434 HDE is a TV, with media box, 43MXE1 is a monitor panel, seems more complicated, but quite straightforward really, nothing to worry about. They are a bit cheaper too, which always helps! Drop me an email if you like, it's on my user info, we can have a chat. No axe to grind here, I just like talking about it!

5. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    mikeham - have you actually found an articulating wall mount as this is also my preferred mounting solution - or across a corner if that's possible? I also wondered how you were going to allow the cables to move if the sreen moves - is the idea just to leave enough slack to allow the movement or allow the whole cable movement?

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The Panny guys will disagree, but IMHO it has to be the 43MXE1.

Go to Joe Fernand for a good deal. you get a High def panel and the extra inch, and which of us don't want an extra inch? :D

7. mikeham

mikeham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wall mount i was looking at was by Vogel's - a dutch company they have a website and a UK distributor.

8. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks mikeham - did a bit of searching and the cheapest supplier in the UK I have found for the one to support a 42" plasma is QED (whose CS sucks) but are significantly cheaper than most.