1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What PJ to replace Sony VPL VW 10HT?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dealmaker, Jul 15, 2005.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I'm a little out of touch with all the latest equipment so bear with me!

I've decided it's time to replace my trusty Sony VW10HT with a new PJ and am thinking of going down the latest DLP route.

When I last looked I was considering the Marantz VP12S3 - but it was a little expensive and I was hoping it would have reduced in price by now - cheapest I can see it currently is £6500 and I'm not sure if I wanted to spend quite that much - I was also waiting for the SAMSUNG (demo'd at some shows in the USA) which looked really good - but that doesnt seem to have materialised!

My problem is that I need a PJ with quite a wide throw due to the length of the room and my 8ft screen. All of the SIM range are too "long throw" so wont fit the bill.

So the question is whats the best DLP PJ around at the £4-5k mark with a decent throw ratio, quiet operation, good optics, reliability, and with a good "rainbow" control system?

Thanks for any pointers.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I wouldn't say it's the best, but the Optoma H78 might be OK for you. Try to get a demo and see what you think.

Gary

3. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Can you wait a couple more months? There'll be new, better projectors coming up. And the existing ones will drop in price.

4. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will look into it?

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably! ...though I've been looking to "upgrade" for the last 18 months!

I probably need to get off the fence ..BUT in saying that if there is a raft of new PJ's rond the corner...or NEW technology, then I will wait again - (though this "strategy" is why I'm typing this reply on my Sinclair ZX81 ! :D )

6. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    The advertised specs on projectors often look good. :)

The real specs are: 550 lumens in high lamp, and 425 in low. Contrast is 2400:1 out of the box. If you compare them with other real world specs of other projectors that's not too bad. £3500 seems to be the going price but things can change, especially after Cedia and when new products are due out.

Gary.

8. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gary,

Thanks for that ! - How does that compare to my Sony's VW10HT "out of the box" specs?

Also anything else I could consider (particularly from the Action range) as I can't source the H78 locally.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Sorry, but I don't have those figures to hand. I did look on Widescreen Reviews website but they didn't take those readings.

If you want a brighter, less contrasty image, the Infocus 7205 might be worth a look. I haven't seen the Action range of pjs but Gordon probably has, so he will have a better idea of its performance.

Gary.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,071
    You mentioned, quite rightly, rainbows. Before you embark down the single chip DLP route, do be sure this technology suits you (and your family etc.) There's no such thing as a rainbow-free single chip DLP. It's fundamental to the way they all work, that some people will detect the sequence of colours and may find it uncomfortable in prolonged viewing.

You've been used to a good (but greyish, maybe) completely flicker free image. You don't get this with sequential colour DLPs. Only 3-chip DLP fully resolves the issue. Too expensive, perhaps (at GBP25k or so).

The imminent Sony Qualia (4?) is reputedly the canine's genitals when it comes to projectors. But it, too, is going to cost.......

11. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Seeing any form of demos is particularly difficult in this part of the world - but I'm going to try!

The H78 debate has me intrigued - dont know whether to wait for the "next generation" with the DC3 chip ?

Also been offered a deal on a Marantz VP12S4 - so lots to consider.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I've seen PJ's that have been updated from HD2+ to the HD2+DC3 spec. I wouldn't get worried about waiting for that....... The Projection Design units have better optics in my opinion compared to the Optomas. This shows when you put on a high average picture level image and on the Optoma I found that some of the mid level detail seemed to be lost in comparison to the Projection Design. The Optoma is astoundingly silent nad has the best image I've seen for that money. I like it....alot. After having a Sony LCD you will be trying to work out if the thing is actually on when you hear it....or not....

As Nigel says you need to go see one of these things to work out whether Rainbows or other artefacts annoy you. Posterisation when there is movement is the other major sized artefact that afflicts DLP's. Often though there are service menu option sthat can be adjusted to alleviate it.

If you need quotes on any of these things there are plenty of forum sponsors who can help.....some might even be able to do you a demo.

Gordon

13. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gordon,

Thank for that.

As an aside from the issue of Rainbows (which I will have to establish) - how will I find the "BRIGHTNESS" and punchiness of say the Action/H78/Marantz compared to the Sony (which I run in "Cinema Black" mode - low power) - as I can't totally contol the ambient light in my cinema room.

Thanks.

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I think they will all be obviously superior and more punchy than your Sony.
    Gordon

15. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    ALso have a demo of the new Runco cl 410 D L P projector all i can say is words cant explain how great the picture is you have to see it yourself and the price is not to bad £3,499

16. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will do.

Anyone know the throw ratio of the Marantz VP12 S4 - reading mixed messages??

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Hi Gordon,

That's a very interesting comment - I think the optics are a very understated component of a projector, as it's the part that the image has to get through before getting onto the screen! The effect it has is obviously visible (as you plainly noted them) so it shows just how important it is, yet we rarely hear a mention of the quality or capability of the lense on a pj.

Jeff (RTFM) has often mentioned how the SIM2 optics tend to be pretty good yet not many of us even think of them as part of the package.

Any tips for how we can rate the optics when viewing a pj, i.e what to look for?

Thanks.

Gary.