1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what pixel resolution is needed for HD television?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by shoestring25, Nov 28, 2004.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    i am thinking of getting a Sony KF42SX300 but i am unsure as to its readyness for HD television.

if not this tele if i brought a different tele what sort pixel resolution should i be looking for?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi- Def can be either 1280x720 or 1920x1080

That said a display can be said to be Hi-Def ready if it will accept those signals & scale them to it's native resolution whatever it may be. But 1:1 mapping would require either of the above matching a source of the same res of course.

3. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DO NOT BUY IN TO THE HDTV 'READY' thing on from ANY manufacture.

MOST will down convert to it's native resolution of the screen. A lot of people say downconverted images look better on it then it's native.

BUT to 'truely' see HDTV you will need 1280x720 or 1920x1080 pixels at least.

Koing

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    miller25,

I'm afraid that set is not suitable for HDTV, due to the fact it doesn't have an HDMI or DVI-HDCP input. Shame on Sony. :suicide:

Steve

5. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *frown* My TV supports 1080i and I use component cables, none of that fancy ones you mentioned.

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    From the content of other threads on here it seems that Sky may be going down the "copy protected" HDMI / HDCP route for HD in the UK (at least on some material) - which may mean analogue component inputs aren't suitable?

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Personally (unless your loaded and can buy a new set every 2/3 years) I wouldn't buy a hi-def panel untill it has a minimum resolution of 1920 by 1080p and at least 2, possibly 3 hdmi inputs. Otherwise you could face a costly upgrade when all lcd's/plama's are eventually 1920 by 1080p and you have Sky digital, Blu-Ray and possibly PS3 or XBox 2. You'll also save a fortune what with prices coming down. Plus plasma/lcd displays are still yet to match crts. If you have a decent size crt or whatever, I'd stick with that for now. What's the point having a hi-def tv if there won't be a source for 2 years? Wait til 2006/7.

Though just my opinion. Got my fingers burned buying a 26" lcd set I thought was reasonably future proof (2 component, both 720p/1080i) only to find it's not because you will now need hdmi for Sky's hi-def come 2006. :(