• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What Pioneer 7.1 reciever should I get?

ScaryFatKidGT

Standard Member
Hey guys first post on here, but anyway I need an AV receiver. I have always had my eye on the Pioneer 1019 and 1020-k's and now there is the 1021-k and after reading the cnet reviews thats what I was set on. The 1121 had extra stuff I didn't need. But now I see the Pioneer Elite stuff and it lists 3D pass through where there VSX line does not. Will I need "3D pass through to run 3D properly? I'm not that big in to 3D but my PS3 will do it and I'm getting a new TV that will probably do it and I would hate to have my receiver be the broken link. Besides 3D pass through what does the Elite stuff offer over the 1021 and 1121?

So I want Multi-room capability, 3D capability, 7.1, 1080/24 handling (I will be getting a TV to match), at least 4 HDMI ins, Airplay would be nice, and I obviously want it to sound good so whats the cheapest one of these I could get that will do every thing I want?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Every HDMI v1.4 is guaranteed to be 3D compatible including VSX models. They will also be 1080p/24fps compatible. Therefore you're left with your other requirements for 4HDMI inputs, Airplay and multi-room.

VSX-921 would be the obvious choice. How do you propose to use multi-room? Do you have another amplifier for this second zone? Remember multi-room (zone2) only works with analogue sources. I've never used zone 2/3 on a receiver and opted for a wireless solution (Squeezebox).

Remember that the higher up the range you go, you will theoretically get better sound quality as well as a host of features, some of which you won't need. More power never goes amiss, particularly with certain speakers.

ScaryFatKidGT

Standard Member
Every HDMI v1.4 is guaranteed to be 3D compatible including VSX models. They will also be 1080p/24fps compatible. Therefore you're left with your other requirements for 4HDMI inputs, Airplay and multi-room.

VSX-921 would be the obvious choice. How do you propose to use multi-room? Do you have another amplifier for this second zone? Remember multi-room (zone2) only works with analogue sources. I've never used zone 2/3 on a receiver and opted for a wireless solution (Squeezebox).
I have a pair of active speakers. What do you mean it only works with analogue sources?

Remember that the higher up the range you go, you will theoretically get better sound quality as well as a host of features, some of which you won't need. More power never goes amiss, particularly with certain speakers.
Are u proposing the 1021 will have better SQ than the 921 or do you mean by going to the Elite stuff?

So besides air play what does the 1021 have over the 921? There about the same price on amazon right now. Also what does the 1121 have over the 1021 the only thing I see is the 1121 says something about 1080/24 conversion and it has 20 more watts per channel.

I will be using these with some form of pioneers SP-PK21BS System for speakers.

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I have a pair of active speakers. What do you mean it only works with analogue sources?

Exactly what I wrote. If you connect a digital source via spdif (optical/coax) or HDMI, you won't hear anything. Zone 2/3 etc. requires analogue as the AV Receiver only has one DAC on board for the main zone. Therefore if you want any of your sources to be used in zone 2/3, you will need to connect up a phono cable.

Are u propsing the 1021 will have better SQ than the 921 or do you mean by going to the Elite stull

Theoretically yes but in the end, you should demo and use your own ears to decide.

So besides air play what does the 1021 have over the 921? There about the same price on amazon right now. Also what does the 1121 have over the 1012 the only thing see is the 1121 says something about 1080/24 conversion and it has 15 LESS watts per channel.

I will be using these with some form of pioneers SP-PK21BS System for speakers.

The 921 also has Airplay. Go to the Pioneer site and use the comparison feature but in the end, specs only tell you half the story and you really need to listen to them. Only then will you be able to decide if moving up a model is worth it. The VSX-1121 isn't sold over here.

Pioneer AV Amplifiers & Receivers: Compare & Choose - Pioneer UK

ScaryFatKidGT

Standard Member
Exactly what I wrote. If you connect a digital source via spdif (optical/coax) or HDMI, you won't hear anything. Zone 2/3 etc. requires analogue as the AV Receiver only has one DAC on board for the main zone. Therefore if you want any of your sources to be used in zone 2/3, you will need to connect up a phono cable.
Oh ok only 1 DAC I get it.

Theoretically yes but in the end, you should demo and use your own ears to decide.
No real way to do this I would need to sit down for about an hour with each receiver to tell and the only place I know that has them is Best Buy and they only have the 521, 821 and 1021.

The 921 also has Airplay. Go to the Pioneer site and use the comparison feature but in the end, specs only tell you half the story and you really need to listen to them. Only then will you be able to decide if moving up a model is worth it. The VSX-1121 isn't sold over here.

Pioneer AV Amplifiers & Receivers: Compare & Choose - Pioneer UK
Well acordding to the US sight the 921 DOES NOT have air play and the 1121 say it has a "Advanced Direct Energy" amp where all the others only say "Direct Energy". Aslo whats 192kHz/24bit VS. 96kHz/24bit cuz the 1121 only does the 96 but the 1021 does both does that matter? I know what the numbers mean but what media formats use those?

Also it says the 1121 doesn't have HDMI standby pass through but the 1021 does? Thats if I wanted to play xbox and like use my regular TV speakers with the receiver off right? Why does the lower end model have features there flagship doesn't?

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Well acordding to the US sight the 921 DOES NOT have air play and the 1121 say it has a "Advanced Direct Energy" amp where all the others only say "Direct Energy". Aslo whats 192kHz/24bit VS. 96kHz/24bit cuz the 1121 only does the 96 but the 1021 does both does that matter? I know what the numbers mean but what media formats use those?

It looks like the 1121 and the VSX51 are similar in spec. Both share the advanced design and have THX2 Select Plus certification. I have no idea what that the advanced design is but it is more than likely a different internal layout design, better components, better sound absorption etc. I seem to recall one of last year's VSX models was identical to one of the LX models other than a couple of things, none of which were worth the premium price. Therefore the VSX model was considered to be the better buy.

We don't have the 1121 in the EU. I wonder if the VSX2021 is the equivalent model over here. Plenty of discussion HERE. There might be more discussion on the Pioneer receivers in the Pioneer owners forum but it was a bit quiet the last time I looked there!!

I don't understand why there are differences between the streaming capabilities of the 1121 and 1021. Have you contacted Pioneer to ask? There should be plenty of light reading on these higher bitrate downloads and files in the music streamers forum. It's probably irrelevant to be honest, unless you're chasing audio perfection. If you're an audiophile, you wouldn't be using a mid level AV Receiver in the first place! There are plenty of discussion on computer audiophile kit inc. DACs, high end sound cards etc. elsewhere.

Also it says the 1121 doesn't have HDMI standby pass through but the 1021 does? Thats if I wanted to play xbox and like use my regular TV speakers with the receiver off right? Why does the lower end model have features there flagship doesn't?

I very much doubt that the 1121 doesn't have HDMI passthrough in standby. I'm afraid I couldn't get the drop down menus to work half the time on the 1121 webpage. That Pioneer USA site is woeful by the way! Try downloading the online manuals to confirm.

As it appears that you are in the US, I would suggest you also sign up to AVSForum.com as it is based on your side of the pond and the good folks there would be better placed to comment on US models. As you can see the spec's differ over here in EU land. The 921 has airplay but it appears the US model doesn't.

ScaryFatKidGT

Standard Member
It looks like the 1121 and the VSX51 are similar in spec. Both share the advanced design and have THX2 Select Plus certification. I have no idea what that the advanced design is but it is more than likely a different internal layout design, better components, better sound absorption etc. I seem to recall one of last year's VSX models was identical to one of the LX models other than a couple of things, none of which were worth the premium price. Therefore the VSX model was considered to be the better buy.
Where did you here that? That is the sorta thing I am interested in although here the VSX 50 and 51 are cheaper than the 1121 then the 52 is a lot more.

We don't have the 1121 in the EU. I wonder if the VSX2021 is the equivalent model over here. Plenty of discussion HERE. There might be more discussion on the Pioneer receivers in the Pioneer owners forum but it was a bit quiet the last time I looked there!!
I think the 2021 has extra outputs idk why they don't offer that here?

I don't understand why there are differences between the streaming capabilities of the 1121 and 1021. Have you contacted Pioneer to ask? There should be plenty of light reading on these higher bitrate downloads and files in the music streamers forum. It's probably irrelevant to be honest, unless you're chasing audio perfection. If you're an audiophile, you wouldn't be using a mid level AV Receiver in the first place! There are plenty of discussion on computer audiophile kit inc. DACs, high end sound cards etc. elsewhere.
I'm sort of a broke audiophile. I listen to music way more closely than 90% of people but I don't have thousands to spend on each component. I sorta end up getting called crazy by most people and I get lumped in to the average consumer type by most audiophiles.

I very much doubt that the 1121 doesn't have HDMI passthrough in standby. I'm afraid I couldn't get the drop down menus to work half the time on the 1121 webpage. That Pioneer USA site is woeful by the way! Try downloading the online manuals to confirm.
K il try that. I know it is horrible! haha

As it appears that you are in the US, I would suggest you also sign up to AVSForum.com as it is based on your side of the pond and the good folks there would be better placed to comment on US models. As you can see the spec's differ over here in EU land. The 921 has airplay but it appears the US model doesn't.
oh ok il check that out every time I googled something this forum always came up with answers.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom