1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What PAL progressive DVD players work with *wh36p

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cjking, May 10, 2004.

1. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've documented in a couple of other threads that I am having compatibility problems between my Toshiba 51wh36p TV and my Toshiba SD330 DVD player, when I use an Iscan Pro between them to generate a PAL progressive signal.

Toshiba technical support refuse to answer my questions because they are adamant that the *wh36p sets do not support PAL progressive scan, only NTSC. Despite me telling them that it does work when I use a different player.

So what PAL progressive players has anyone seen working properly with a *wh36p Toshiba TV?

2. jeje

jeje

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there ! my limit 900 work fine pal/ntsc progessive

3. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cjking,

I currently use a Denon 2200 and the picture in both PAL and NTSC progressive is amazing. This is about the 5th dvd player ive bought for my 42wh36 and i've now finally got one im happy with.

I did try the sony 730 but the PAL prog scan kept really flickering so i demoted that one to the bedroom !

Get a 2200 you won't be disapointed !

Cheers

Mart..

4. toadie

toadie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cjking,

I currently use a Denon 2200 and the picture in both PAL and NTSC progressive is amazing. This is about the 5th dvd player ive bought for my 42wh36 and i've now finally got one im happy with.

I did try the sony 730 bought the PAL prog scan kept really flickering so i demoted that one to the bedroom !

Get a 2200 you won't be disapointed !

Cheers

Mart..

MODS - Please delete this double post. My Connection froze up and so thought my post didnt go through ! Ta !

5. Mikeg247

Mikeg247

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I currently use a Yamaha S540 and have no problems with that.
    Mike

6. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I too am interested in this. Looking to replace my Tosh SD220e.

Anyone recommend a DVD Recorder to go with this TV?

If anyone is using one with it at present please let me know which one and what the performance is like.

Importantly must have component, RGB input, coaxial digital out and progressive scan.

Cheers

Paul

7. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just thought I'd update this with the result of my latest experiment. I bought a Toshiba SD530E at the Richer sounds open box sale yesterday. This gave the same problem as the SD330 when connected via the Iscan, so it will be going back later today. At least it proves my SD330 is not faulty.

The SD530E has it's own built in progressive scan, this did a much better job than the TVs built in progress mode, but on DVDs other than the ones I usually use for testing deinterlacing I noticed artifacts in places where the Iscan produces none. So the built-in progressive scan is not good enough to make me consider ditching the Iscan. The good news is that the built-in progressive scan did work without causing the original problem when connected directly to the TV, so there is hope for getting a decent progressive scan picture.

The bad news is that for the first time last night while watching a rented DVD I noticed the original defect being produced from the Wharfedale, though it was very much reduced. So it's beginning to look like the problem won't be easily solved by trying different DVD players.

It looks like my best choice is to stick with the wharfedale for now, which has only shown the defect on one out of ten movies and then it was so small that if I hadn't been on the lookout for it I wouldn't have noticed.

I've considered buying a Denon, but apart from the expense, at some stage I want a DVD recorder, and it seems wasteful to have a player and a recorder. Also I feel a lot of what I'm paying for with the Denon is the deinterlacer chip, and I already have that in my Iscan, which I would then have all the hassle of selling to justify the Denon purchase.

I'm sure there must be some cheap Chinese made DVD player out there that will let me disable macrovision and send as good a picture as is encoded on the disk via component to the Iscan.