1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What paint for MDF?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Mike Swannick, May 22, 2003.

1. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've followed some of the DIY threads here with great interest and may well undertake a project or 2 when time and £££ permit. Whilst I'm confident in my ability to turn a sheet of MDF into bespoke piece of AV kit (and a small pile of sawdust), how do you regular DIY'ers finish off MDF to give it a presentable finish? I'm thinking specifically about the coloured lacquer type that gives a hard shiny finish and what is the best method of applying it? I don't possess an oil free compressor and/or spraygun kit.

PS I don't much fancy the veneer option.

Cheers.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mason (Taz) will be able to help you here.

He'll probably not be on until tomorrow though.

I leave all my MDF finishing to him. :D :smashin:

3. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you mean the wood effect paint. If so I would imagine you will first need to use MDF primer followed by the primer for the wood effect then finally the laquer which must be brush applied to get the grain look.

4. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking more like the shiny black or black ash type finish. There is a thread containing a link to a bloke across the pond who made a coffee table subwoofer. He had it finished with a lacquer type finish the like I have never seen available in my circles.

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    That effect (AFAIK), can only be reached by spraying a high gloss laquer (several layers of it) over a black paint, Im pretty sure you wont be able to acheive this effect with a brush as the finnish would not be as professional. HSS hire shops will hire you a compressor and a spray gun for quite a minimal charge. Although I wouldn't attempt to spray it yourself unless you have previous spraying experience.

The more layers of laquer you apply the deeper and shinier the colour will appear.

6. wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    prime the mdf (if you are useing a dark colour for the finish. use a dark primer)

to get that sort off finish use gloss paint watered down with white spirit so that it becomes runny and than you could hire a compressor and a spray gun/ take it to you local car body shop and ask them to do it.

7. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers.

With regard to the lacquer, what product is it exactly? and who is likely to retail it.

I've used the hand held spray cans of 'lacquer' from Halfords before (and a few cans of hair lacquer during my New Romantic phase in the 80's). Can this stuff be bought over the counter in car spares shops and does it need thinners etc etc. I seem to recall that some lacquers can react with the base paint? The problem is that I've heard about it, other people mention it during there DIY projects, but I don't know just what it is I'm actually trying to locate. I hope that makes sense. I don't want to go into a shop and ask for a tin of 'lacquer' to have more questions returned back to me that i may not be able to answer.

I will most likely go down the spray gun & compressor route.

Edit: post above landed secionds before this one, hence the answer preceding the question. duh!

8. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thnk to get this sort of finish you will require a HVLP compressor and you will need to "cut back" between coats.

An alternative would be to take it to your local vehicle body refinishers, they will probably be able to do it.......for a price

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Anyone reconmend a good filler for MDF? My mate cant drill straight for toffee:mad:

10. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 part epoxy wood filler, Wickes sell it for around £6 for a big tin.
    Easy to mix up and dries in around 20 mins, you can then sand drill etc. Ronseal do an equivalent but its around twice the price

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cheers mate the first stand we built is lovely then it started raining and we were outside and MDF and rain dont mix so i think we rushed it a bit..........bad idea we should have stopped, and quit while we were ahead!!!!!!!
    Who needs 2 speakerstands anyway???