What package is best value at around £700-£1k

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sunbedted, May 1, 2007.

1. sunbedted

sunbedted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As the title suggests I'm looking for some speakers in this price range to compliment and take full advantage of my new Sony 5200ES receiver. I have a demo tommorow for the kef 3005's and possibly some others if they are recommended. I've also been looking at aego t's but so far am yet to find a stockist in Manchester. If anyone can point me i the direction of one i'd be very grateful, and any great deals you know of feel free to point these out too!:D

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on whther these are well suited to the 5200 as they will be used for games/tv/blu-ray & HD movies.

Am i missing out any glaringly brilliant speakers? Are these any good?
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3240
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2088
    I'm only in an apartment at the moment so space may be an issue but would it be worth cramping up if the speakers are great value?

This will be my first home cinema setup so i'm extremely new to all this and just want the best my money can buy me!

Many Thanks

2. ChristianBeccy

ChristianBeccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I can't comment on how good they are yet, but I have just bought the Tannoy Arena for what I believe is far and away the cheapest price in the UK.

£699 inc VAT.

Including 2 pairs of Sat Stands which usually retail for £150 per pair.:rotfl:

Early signs are good though, the kit is incredibly well presented and I cannot believe how heavy the speakers are!! I just hope that is a sign of how well they will perform. They were certainly impressive in the demo.

Oh, by the way, it was Hughes that did this price.:smashin:

3. sunbedted

sunbedted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Was this an instore deal? I'm not familiar with hughes at the moment, googled them and found hughesdirect.com but they list the speakers as £999. Do you have any contact details for them and maybe i can call to negotiate a price:D

4. ChristianBeccy

ChristianBeccy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well, I don't know to be honest. I went into the store for a demo of the Aego-T's and the Kef 3005's, but ended up having a demo of the Tannoy's with the intention of eliminating them due to their cost being over my budget. However, I really like them and when the Sales guy went to check stock on the Computer, he told me that they had come up at £699 with the stands!! Bargain.

On Hughes Direct, if you go to the Store Locator, perhaps you can call one of the stores. On the list, I dealt with White Lion Street in Norwich and a chap called Martin, so if all else fails, I'm sure he could help, though Wednesday is his day off.

By the way, see my thread further down in this forum for my thoughts on the 3 systems I was interested in.:smashin:

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello sunbedted

'Cramping up' may be an option if you believe your next room is significantly bigger than your current room and there is some advantage in larger cabinets.

Have a look at the Anthony Gallo Micro 'Theatre in a Box' 5.1 system - very compact and on offer at 850.00 GBP in the UK; these will work in small or relatively large rooms - see http://www.roundsound.com/micro-home-theater.htm

If you want to spend a bit more Gallo have other offerings with the Micro Ti and A'Diva loudspeakers.

Joe