1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what other uk plasma is better than the panasonic pv500??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gunsnroses76, Aug 11, 2005.

1. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im interested in uk models of plasmas that are better than the panasonic pv500 altho that plasma had lots of awards it also had lots of complaints on av forums, so im looking for a plasma thats better than the panasonic pv500 and also one that dosent suffer from what the panasonic pv500 suffered from.

thanks in advance. just looking for uk 42inch models that u know are better in the specs, connectivity and reliability department.

2. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    new pio 6 series coming out soon, sept - oct, better (more convenient) conectivity than the panny. will be worth a look if you are in no great hurry

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Yeah, if you are not desperate, the Pioneer look a bit special on paper and from the first reports coming through.

4. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks i always thought that the pioneer makes are better as over in america these pioneer plasmas get the best reviews over all other makes, so sounds good, is there a review of the american version of this tv that i can read before it comes out in uk, or aint it out anywhere yet.

5. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone know if our Pioneer models are the Elite, non-Elite or some other equivalent?

6. bkny

bkny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aren't the new pioneer's likely to be more expensive than the PV500, perhaps £500+ more expensive (v. approximately)? thats the reason i went with the PV500 and didn't wait for the new pioneers, i just assumedd (maybe wrongly) the pioneers would be out of my price range. i got pv500 for 2249 with free dvd recorder. i guess that the new pioneers will be £2500+ and maybe even in the region of £3K.

but yes, if the price were roughly the same i would have waited to see what the new pioneers were like

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The UK panels are not Elite.

The current XDE's have superior video processing to the PV500. However they do not have the contrast range of the Panasonics....and even although they have superior processing to the PV500 it's still not great....

Gordon

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    There is always debate on the www.avsforum.com whether the elite model is any better or just a fancier design anyway.

And on there, I think the general opinion is, if you are going to spend that money get a Fujitsu not a Pioneer.

The 4360HD (equivelent to our 436XDE) will be out around september/October time, and the US RRP is $4500 with an expected street price of around $3500 before xmas and maybe a little less after the holidays, if current versions are anything to go by.
    I think we will see the 436XDE at under £3k before xmas if we get the new screens in sept/oct too, and around £2600 after xmas.

If you read the US forum you would think the Panny TH42PX50U and TH42PX500U are the only plasmas on the market right now! so pretty much the same as over here.

A few months ago it was the same with the new NEC models and everyone who didn't have a 42VR5 was moaning that it was an NEC forum. When the PW8 and HD8 come out it will be the same, and then we will have the new Pioneer range for everyone to harp on about.

At the moment I would say the PV500 is the best all in one unit available, it is a good all rounder, give it another few weeks and thing could change.
    You haven't said if you have a budget?
    For £3k you coould get a really, really good panel and scaler?

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To my mind the PV500s have moved the bar as far as plasmas are concerned. No longer are you looking at which plasma produces the least artifacts (at least with SD sources like SKY), but at which produces the most natural picture. With the PV500s already here, and the PHD8s, the new Pioneers and even (at last) new HDMI Sonys in the wings, owning a plasma needn't be a compromise any more.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Gizalroc: I've seen technical docs about the processing routes inside the standard and elite range. They are not the same....at least the current XDE is not the same as the Elite counterparts in USA....

Gordon

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I know they are different, but it is interesting when someone moves up to an Elite from a non Elite and starts to question if it is different.

I have obviously never seen an Elite, but I would hope it was better.

12. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my budget would be around 2000 to 2300. oh well looks as if i will have to go for the pv500 if u say the pioneer 6 is gonna be like 3000 thats just stupid, well even 2000 for the pv500 is a stupid over the top price but 3000 is even more outrageous.

13. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't expect anyone to believe me, but having seen the HD LG plasmas properly set up for the first time - I think the RZ42PY10 can produce similar contrast to the PV500, and with much cleaner processing.

A different beast to the SD version altogether. Whether it's a good bet for avoiding problems and customer service I'm not so sure though!

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    It may be cheaper?

The 4350HD was $6000 in the states and the new one, the 4360HD is $4500, which is a 25% drop.
    If we work on the same pricing for the UK launch the old model was £3499, so a 25% drop would make it £2600.

It is a similar percentage drop in Japan too, maybe they had enough time to see Panasonics pricing and priced it to compete, or maybe we will get buggered senseless like we always do in the UK!?

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607

I saw the PY10 a few months ago and commeted on it, very nice looking image, it was running windows HD clips off a pc, and the picture from regular TV looked good too. How much is that now? it was £3k when I saw it.

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Gizalroc: i've seen the Elite's plenty of times. Never side by side with a normal domestic unit. I did always think they looked good though. The only one that looks a bit strange is the MXE in a fancy bezel one....it has part gloss part matt black bezel that just looks stupid and cheap.

Gordon

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607

So that will be the USA's best seller then? :D

18. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Do you have some more details about that? Maybe even a link or a pdf of the technical docs? In the US forum nobody knows for sure what the technical differences in the processing routes are. So it would be quite welcome information to spread. Thanks!

19. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    it was confidential stuff that I was not supposed to see. I don't have it now ...sorry.

Gordon

20. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Are there any details you remember? E.g. does the Elite have a better scaler/deinterlacer?

Don't worry, if you can't answer. I'm just trying to squeeze something out of you... :D