What other HD channels can we expect in the near future?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by loz, Mar 25, 2006.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Besides those in the Sky HD lineup, and the BBC trial, can we expect to see other channels appearing? Say, over the next year?

For example I wasn't sure whether to interpret this as implying there would be a Disney HD channel, or just that Disney films would be shown on Sky Movies HD - I think perhaps the later

It is hard to think actually where much more HD material is likely to come from besides those channels announced.

Perhaps a C4/E4 HD given they feature US TV series made in HD.
    Hallmark HD?
    QVC HD? :devil:

2. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    You know shows like Lost are already filmed in HD. I want to see Sky Sports News HD, aswell as ITV HD. Plus BB2 HD.

Aswell as Bravo HD mate.

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Yes I do.
    But that was partly my point, we won't be seeing it in HD unless a C4/E4 HD channel appears.

And I "want" to see lots of things in HD too.

My question, is what other channels are likely though? Given it is the channels that have the rights, so it is irrelevant what they are filmed in if that channel isnt in HD.

4. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    QVC HD & Playboy HD!! :)

5. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Hope Sky and Channel 4 are listening.

I want E4/C4 HD to watch Lost and Smallville in HD ASAP

6. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  7. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +900
    channel 5 and UKliving would be nice, just for CSI

8. Attu

Attu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I agree with C4 and E4 then most of the programs i watch will be covered in HD :)

9. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    You know Sky could just buy the rights of showing Lost in the UK guys.

10. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Or the HD rights? Becuause in USA there are seperate packages, one for HD and one for SD I think.

11. youcrazyboy

youcrazyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I read on digital spy hbo are considering launching a channel here, they have a middle east version of hbo and showtime....sopranos 6 on hd anyone?:thumbsup:

Also like to see cricket only broadcast in analogue b/w :boring:

12. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I think that the History channel is launching a HD channel soon and the Disney channel had agreed a tie up with Sky regarding showing HD films etc. MTV are also launching or have launched a HD channel in the US and its thought they may bring it over hear at some stange.

The CEO of Channel4 recently questioned the BBC's push towards HD as he thinks that HD wont be the norm until 2020! Therefore I would not hold your breathe for Channel 4 HD in the near future. Channel 4 and ITV are commercial channels and unlike Sky are unable to charge for HD and therefore they would need to obtain extra revenue from adverts etc to jusity HD.

They will watching the success of Sky HD. I'm sure that if by this time next year between Sky/Cable and FTA HD there are 1-2m HD viewers then Channel 4 and alike will conisder HD. Uf the take up of HD is slow though then you could be waiting for the analogue turn off before you see the likes of ITV and channel 4 in HD.

I think Bravo is owned or part owned by Telewest so if Telewest are serious about HD you may see then going part HD in the near future.

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My mate works for Channel 4 and I can tell you that they won't be going HD any time soon - the equipment in the studios is just not up to it, and there is no talk of re-equipping. Quite a lot of talk of redundancies, though.

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    If there was ever any indication that SKY or the BBC were starting to have an impact on the demographic groups that advertisers love then the commercial broadcasters would soon be looking at investing in HD.
    No surprise they are sitting on the fence and letting other more profitable or better financed concerns take the initial risks:)

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

SKY1 has a decent budget but I don't think they could afford that:)
    The BBC could only go so far with "24" but CH4 have shown they will spend whatever it takes to get content (E4 launch and The Simpsons).

16. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I read recently that Channel 4 were worried about their existance on digital once analogue is turned off. They are lobbying the government for guarantees that it wont cost them a fortune to broadcast on the limited bandwidth of freeview etc and therefore I'm not sure how keen they are on space being freed up for a HD service which will limit SD even more.

17. chubsta

chubsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    interesting point - i would imagaine the people who get hd at the beginning are precisly the people a lot of advertisers target - due to the cost of everything involved we must be the ones with the large disposable incomes, willing to invest in new things, impulse buyers etc......

18. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    No! Don't agree at all... oh wait, I've just got to stop to subscribe to that brilliant new ringtone service I saw somewhere... D'oh! ;)

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'd love to know where you think CH4 is going to get all this money ! It has been struggling for survival since 2002.

20. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    What is worrying the commercial broadcasters is how the spectrum used by analogue tv will be carved up, once analogue is switched off.

21. daKlone

daKlone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'd agree that we are unlikely to see ITV/Ch4/Ch5 going HD any time soon. Since they are not funded by a license fee or a monthly subscription, they'd need a clear business case for it, i.e. is going HD going to earn more money?

Certainly for the immediate future, the answer to that is a resounding NO.

The most likely source of new HD is, I think, going to be from Sky's own channels (because Sky's infrastructure is already being upgraded) or those owned by large US networks (who can afford the investment in upgrading and have experience from US HDTV).

I wouldn't expect to see a 100% HD lineup for 10 to 15 years at best though. :(

22. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Well paying £750,000 per episode for The Simpsons may account for that:)

CH4 makes a profit, not a big profit but like any commerical company (and they are despite their PBS stance) there is always money for investment with an eye to a return at a later stage.
    More4 has a £33 million budget, the last DTT channel on offer was leased by CH4 for £10million a year so they have resources.

23. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Or more to the point will avoiding HD lose them money.
    That is why promted ITV to join the rest of the UK broadcasters on digital satellite, pressure from advertisers who were seeing valuable households simply not watching ITV1 adverts.

I agree on the immediate HD plans, HD has to prove itself and perhaps this years WC is too close to make an impact and anyway BBC always wins the audience when they go head to head with ITV.

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Ahh, but the situation now is completely different. It's not a case of viewers not being able to watch CH4 at all, it's a case of not being able to watch CH4 in HD, and what effect (if any) this will have on revenues ? Don't forget that CH4 is funded in part by ITV companies, so advertising revenues are not quite as important as they are to ITV.

25. The_Censor

The_Censor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The most obvious omission for me is a music channel - Would love to get the friends around and spend hours watching Live Music and High Definition Music Videos, High Def VH2 or MTV2 would be the business!! :)

26. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Principle is the same.
    Advertisers believe that HD channels/programming is targetting their intended market so push their partners in the broadcast arena to follow suit or lose their custom. Granted no where near as exterme as the ITV example on Dsat but that is what will eventually force ITV/CH4 and Five to enter the HD market.

ITV have shares in CH4?
    I know they had merged commercial advertising arms in the first decade or so but they have long since been seperated, infact a couple of years ago CH4/Five and SKY were rumoured to be joining forces to sell ad time:)

27. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I disagree about Channel 4 and ITV. Whilt some claim that they will not SD once they get HD I'm sure the novelty will soom wear off.

Also everyone with Sky HD will have Sky+ and does anyone really watch adverts with Sky+. I really doubt HD will have that much effect. I sure though Channel 4 will monitor the effect but I would be really surprised. If anything Channel 4 will up the bitrates first. Lets face it 95% of the publice could not care about HD so are channel 4 going to be that bothered that they have lost maybe 50,000 viewers in 3 years because they are not in HD?

28. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Yeah no doubt peoples opinion on HD will colour their views on how the big three commercial broadcasters will react:)
    I think HD will have a big impact, especially in production and it's a global market and the US in particular will demand more HD, so once you committ to HD production it's then a small step to HD broadcasting.
    Of course the question then has to be asked if the likes of ITV/CH4 and certainly Five will make things worth selling!

Many have already said they can see improvements in PQ when the SD broadcast is from a HD source and even during the last European Championships ITV were criticised for sub-standard quality, will the gap grow even wider over time as more and more BBC content is made in HD?
    Again perhaps I am giving the viewers too much credit and they like sheep will sit there and put up with lower quality pictures, there is precedent:)

Would CH4 be bothered if they lost 500,000 viewers over the next 3 years?
    Impossible to predict the impact of HD but one thing is for certain, once one commercial broadcaster (Five perhaps in tandom with RTL as they come under pressure in their home market) then the others will have to follow suit.

29. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes we will have to wait and see. I'd be surprised if either Channel4/5 or ITV had a HD channel within the next 5 years but I hope I'm wrong as these plus BBC are the channels which would convince me to buy into HD.

30. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Channel4 might not be bothered but in my opinion E4 might lose some viewers over time, and they would only need to broadcast HD. Personally I actually wonder why I just paid £30, (with £10 per month to come), as I mainly watch E4, paramount and ABC1(!).

I would have thought that a lot of E4's programming would have been produced in High-def so it will be dissapointing not to be able to see the programs as they were intended. Does sky take all of the £30+ monthly fee for itself?:confused:

I also suspect that the take up on Sky-HD might surprise everyone, especially with all of the large plasmas/TV's being purchased.

Steve