What? - only PCM output when using simultaneous speaker and optical output

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by alibabababa, Feb 27, 2018.

1. alibabababa

alibabababa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Can anyone provide an answer why this is an "intended change" when LG developed webos 3.5? I have waited over a month for LG to finally come up with thus response. I have had this LGOLEDB7 since Jan 2018. Thanks in advance.

2. Johnnyg37

Johnnyg37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have talked to endless people about this (Richer Sounds, LG rep in JL, LG 'customer service') and no one has an answer.

The only way round this is to feed the optical output from the B7 through an AV amp and connect the HDMI output from the amp to any HDMI input on the B7 and this seems to solve the problem - it certainly has with me - but I couldn't tell you why. It also causes the sound on the TV to mute when the amp is switched on which is what I wanted. Also make sure that the SYNCLINK is switched on. If you haven't got an amp, there is no solution I could find.

I've no idea why LG have decided in their wisdom to do this but I wish they could fix it. Trying to get an answer from anyone at LG is impossible.

3. alibabababa

alibabababa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    That won't work for me as I have no HDMI on my amp I have asked why PCM output is the default, not Auto. My amp does not handle PCM. TV and sound works ok on optical only, when I can change it to Auto. I then have to fiddle around afterwards to turn TV sound on. I suspect this was an oversight when they tested the new OS and are not inclined to change it for a limited number of users. Nevertheless, to say they have no intention of changing it in future updates beggars belief. This is the reply I received from LG - they got this wrong too.

Thanks for your response.

"Good morning Alex,

I can see that this had been raised with our technicians and they have advised that the option to switch to PCM when using built in speakers and optical out has been removed from WEB-OS 3.5 TV’s. From what we have been told this is an intentions change and is very unlikely to be changed.

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, however the option for PCM is still available on Optical only.

If you do wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on 0344 847 5454 or alternatively you can also reply to this email by clicking on the wish to reply to this email.

Thank you in advance."

4. Johnnyg37

Johnnyg37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Unfortunately, it looks like you'll have to buy a new amp! I'm considering the Pioneer VSX531 (£179 from Richer Sounds) which will, hopefully, resolve all the problems.

It would be interesting to know why LG changed it, but I suspect that will never happen. Good luck!

5. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,532
    It could be to make this uniform across all models.

6. Rameses3

Rameses3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't believe this - tried setting my E7 up to my old Onkyo thinking that I would be able to get digital over the optical connection only to get PCM (2 channel)! Thought it was my receiver but then saw this thread.

If LG are saying that they aren't going to change it is there any other option to get digital to my receiver? HDMI Arc doesn't seem to work on my SR608.

7. Johnnyg37

Johnnyg37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You can get digital out from the optical socket on the TV if you go to the sound out menu and select audio out (single sound out). You can then select PCM or auto. However, with that option, the TV speakers do not work.

If you choose the internal TV sound and audio out option, the PCM/auto choice is not there and only PCM is output.

The only work around I could find is as my previous post. Good luck!

8. Rameses3

Rameses3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the sticking point. I bought the E7 so I could use the tv's speakers for front sound and just add a couple of rears and a sub through the Onkyo with digital from the tv.

How are you going to set up the Pioneer?

9. Johnnyg37

Johnnyg37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Haven’t decided on the Pioneer yet. My current Yamaha amp does not do 4K HDR pass through but, although it’s not perfect, everything seems to work OK with my current configuration.

It’s a bit cumbersome, but I’ll probably stick with what I’ve got for the time being.

10. Rameses3

Rameses3
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asked LG what was going on and had a reply effectively saying they're not aware of it and they are passing it to a senior technician :)

Beggars belief a company like LG can sell a £3.5K (rrp) tv with a Soundbar (LG's description) attached and take away the ability to output digital audio at the same time :facepalm: