What on Earth is the Point...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alan_W, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    So this 14 that's FOURTEEN year old girl on her SECOND drunk driving offense is in court. Story is HERE

She shouts abuse at everyone, punches the prosecutor, throws eggs at the press and swears at the magistrates.

The magistrates ban her from driving for 36 months :confused: Its her second drunk driving charge, it is illegal for her to drive until she is seventeen, she was driving while disqualified anyway so why bother banning her for longer :confused:

The only decision the court should be having to make is injection or gas :devil:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    She should be sterilised at it won't be long before she starts breeding

3. Singh400

Singh400
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,370
    Shoulda been banned for life. Stupid <insert your chosen word here>.

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    perfect example of an oxygen thief

5. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sterilised and euthanized? I just bet the magistrates bought the 'she is from a deprived background, has attention deficit disorder' crap. If it was you or I, we would be looking at five years in prison.

6. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There was a quality comment read-out sent in from a listener on the Radio 2 debate this afternoon -

"Scum like this, that give birth to scum like that, should be put down!" :rotfl:

I swear I was laughing for a minute after it was read out :D

Seriously though, a lot of people reckon she needs shipping to a boot camp. We need a new law, one that makes it an offence to behave like Vicky Pollard in public, punishable by chain gangs that pick the litter up in our streets!

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    ...But seriously though, what is the solution to these types of problems?

Prison?

Costs the taxpayer a fortune, isn't a deterrant to people like this, and other inmates only teach each other toolsets for different types of criminal activity.

Community Service?

Again, costs the taxpayer a lot, arguably we see some return in terms of menial tasks and environmental maintainance carried out by people we would otherwise have to pay. Does it alter people's attitude to their criminal behaviour?

I really have little idea how we can rectify the situation other than to make pregnant women attend parenting skills classes. Perhaps remove some benefit from those who refuse to attend?

8. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'd seriously put a vote in for sterilisation :lesson:

9. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I think the sterilisation is 15yrs too late :suicide:

"On arrival she pelted waiting photographers with eggs and her mother, Nora, turned her bottom towards the cameras and said: "Go on. Film this". She repeatedly shouted that she was "proud" of her daughter."

I am sure that this family will soon feature on their own documentary series with the delightful Nora guesting on "Celebrity Fit Club" and "Stars in their Eyes" :(

10. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    people like this are protected more then the law abiding good citizens

something really needs to be done to punish them

and scum breed scum when they cant afford to pay for them so take money off the state. and this is why this country is going down

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    As a trainee teacher I would be up for including a parenting module along with the general PSHE and Citizenship curriculum.

You will never deter teenagers from experimenting, especially sexually, and all we can do is make them more aware of the risks and responsibility involved in sex.

12. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I used to think that he was a far fetched fictional sitcom character.

I now realise I AM TURNING INTO VICTOR MELDREW

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    For a start I think that parents should be legally responsible for their children until they reach a certain age and when a brat like this one is bought before the court both her and the parents should be punished jointly.

14. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hell yes, couldn't agree more. Can you imagine a government who would this though?

15. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    but then again theres so many laws protecting kids now, parents would probably be scared of discipling kids, you cant even good a little smack to a kid now with out getting in trouble . i was smacked and so was everyone else i know and we grew up fine, this kid hardly sounds like the type you can reason with,

16. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    but what you could do you as a parent to enusre the kid doesnt do this again besides hide the keys?

17. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +938
    I love this from the article...

"I know what I have done to my dad and stuff. I'm working with people. They are trying to help me. I am working with groups and stuff, trying to make my own decisions."

Yeah but no but, yeah.....

Vikki come on down.

Have to agree with the earlier comment re parents being legally responsible for their children's actions until a certain age. Could help to solve most instances of this nature, however I fear not all.

KH

18. M-C-P-M

M-C-P-M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The whole family should be:
    1. steralised
    2. Sent to a boot camp
    3. euthanised

a poll should be started i think?

19. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    The problem starts with the parents, when the "mother" is acting this way what can you expect of the children, they only know that kind of behaviour.

With laws forbidding parents to do anything more than ask a child to go to his room and hope he'll do it if you say please, you can't really punish parents.
    Also I'm thinking about otherwise good parents who love their kids and themselves respect society but whose child has taken a wrong turn (it happens too). They can't lock the kids up !

Prison as said before is more like holiday camp coupled with crime school.

So it seems "boot camp" is the only way. First of all you get the kid out of his "normal" environment and they can finally learn the hard way about respect and responsibilities without having an idiot of parent around, swearing away and telling them it's "88**ing great to break the law".

I also think it might be a good idea to go back to work camps like in the old days for criminals of all ages. The prospect of laying on your back watching movies and playing on the console while you're fed and clothed isn't as scary as having to work all day in difficult conditions while being screamed at by guards.

20. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    boot camp wouldnt work

They would turn it into a adventure holiday. The workers at the camp wouldnt be able to touch em and the kids know that and they know they have protection so will **** about and will not do as there told, I have seen it in schools I was in school just 4 years ago

if they had the power to use force it would be different

21. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    Absolute rubbish.

A good teacher can command a classroom of kids without resorting to violence. It is precisely the type of person incapable of teaching that has to resort to violence. All it does is erode any respect the pupil had for the teacher and that is not conducive to learning or to teaching.

22. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seconded. Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Sorry if that smacks of a more sinister side to me, but there you have it! :rolleyes:

23. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I would make the sentence two years national service, no ifs or buts. Then if they miss behave there, solitary confinement and national service extended to three years and so on until they hit five years, then death by lethal injection. Sounds harsh but once words got around hopefully no one would ever get to that stage.

24. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    certainly prison needs reforming to make it less of a holiday camp........they should have nothing in the cells bar a bed and a toilet........they should also be single occupancy cells, only allowed to come out 3 times a day for meals, once for a 1 hour recreation break and 3 hours of silent labour........make them wear a skintight bodypiece so its obvious if they hide anything etc.....they are criminals for a reason, make them feel humiliation and loneliness and they will be less likely to commit crimes again......
    its because they can commune too much, get given things etc that they come out of prison and commit more crimes......its a soft life inside nowadays.....

as for the kids, simple, put them in a boarding school type place, but instead of open plan classroms, have cube farm setups so they cant talk.......then for nighttime make them sleep a l&#225; Tokyo coffin hotel rooms......ever seen them? think 5th Element with Bruce Willis, you know when they on their way to the other planet, the shuttle sleeping berth?.....

again, if you make life boring and plain and full of rules, eventually they'll go along with it...
    keep that going long enough (ie dont let them out after 3 months on good behaviour, make them do that till end of A-levels!) and i'd say they'll come out a little more willing to be good, especially when they get told if they commit a crime now they are an adult, the prison version of what they do is even worse.....heh

oh and for those who support Human Rights Act in its entire glory......*shakes his head*...

not even gonna bother with that one....

25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    An admirable sentiment but I wonder how true that is. I'm happy to admit that I've led a fairly sheltered life in middle class suburbia and have no first hand experience of inner city deprivation but I watch TV series like Waterloo Road with a sense of disbelief that schoolkids can behave like that - but they obviously do.

26. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Its a real shame that we now have a situation where it is never the fault of the parents,or the "children",but always some failure in the education system or another reason why the blame cannot possibly be laid where it obviously arises.

No-one seems able to discipline these cretins,and that term also includes the parent(s).

27. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,600
    As I live in chav central Blackley of Manchester, I can tell you Mr Guru is spot on. Only teachers who eff'd and blinded their way through lessons, plus the bold headteacher, got trouble. The teachers who remained calm and had authority never got any

I don't really see it at sixth form though, as only the "good" kids go on to do A Levels, if you get what I mean

And contrary to the posts by sentimental middle class folk here, boot camp or national duty ain't gonna work. The only way is to punish the parents. As I've said in past threads, troublemakers always cherp 'whats my mum gonna do about it?'

Infuriatingly, those middle class magistrates got taken for mugs, falling for the sob story. The problem is people have the mentality of until you're 19, "adult punishment" would be too harsh

I reckon a good start would be to force parents off work and watch their kids in school. Anything more embarassing for said child? Before someone says, my parents get tax credit, which I don't agree with. Everyone should pay for their own kids.

28. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Where does this all end?

Are we really all going to let our society crumble away untill some extreme rightwing government takes over and we all lose our freedoms?

I comented to the owner of the sandwich shop near where I work that she had left the shutters on her windows yesterday and she said she always does when the kids are off school!

It time we took our country back. If the government wont protect our way of life its time we took steps to protect it ourselves. (Now where did I put that hockey mask:devil:)

29. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I agree totally that this is the ideal. I don't think respect for the teacher is possible in cases like this where the parents exhibit such a flagrant disregard for authority and presumably the teachers also.

Without parental support, I do not think the school/teachers will be able to civilise the kids. (Not that it is their job anyway).

Not sure there is a liberal civilised answer to people like this.

30. colinwheeler

colinwheeler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    My worry is that kids don't have fully developed moral and ethical framework. This makes them potentially very dangerous. Punish the parents is the only way forward and if the parents can't control them, the kids need to be put into some sort of controlled environment where they can't hurt others.