Question What old record player? (Turn table)

Smoking Joe

Established Member
Reaction score
Record player?!?!?

- So you like taking pictures then?
- NO! I like photography.
- Oh okay....

:)

I'm putting together a second system in the dining room: Audiolab 8000A amp, Marantz CD-67 Special Edition and Dali Zensor 1 speakers (or maybe Mordaunt Short MS10i Classic...)

Anyway I am toying with the idea of getting an old record player, sorry I mean "turn table" to add to it. I have always said that someday I would get one, "just because".
I haven't played a record since I had a 3 in 1 system back in the '80s/ early '90s. But I still have my records. No a whole heap mind you, but still..... And I always said that someday I'd get one, just to have the option....

Anyway from browsing these came up (mostly from the 1970s and some from the 1990s):

Realistically I will not be listening to records all that often. So I don't mind a bit of a fixer upper project, or even not the last word in sound quality. So does anyone have any comments on the below? Or just don't bother as I'll never use one anyway (as my wife says!).

These are for auction and currently range from 30 quid to 170, but obviously may increase....

Obviously people are going say about condition and the cartridge on them. But that could always be changed later if needed....

So what do you think?

1970s Hitachi PS-8 (70 Euro)
Very basic manual player. But looks stunning with it's walnut base.
af260f7f-c3ca-4050-ba52-786a073a5b2f.jpg

1970s Lenco L78
Fully automatic.

1970s Lenco L75 modified with a tube pre-amp.
No dust cover.

1990s (?) Dual CS435 (45 Euro)
Fully automatic
29169721-554d-4e41-bb8b-a81c19358548.jpg

1970s Marlux MX-66 (75 Euro)
Fully automatic
41455eea-efa7-4be1-912b-6e45c48e364f.jpg

1990s (?) Technics SL1500 (170 Euro)
18daae80-70da-47f9-ade3-92b5713b5ad5.jpg

I wonder how ancient units at the higher end of your price range (that may desperately need servicing) would compare to a brand new unit for 150 or so such as recently reviewed in this sub-forum.

I wonder how ancient units at the higher end of your price range (that may desperately need servicing) would compare to a brand new unit for 150 or so such as recently reviewed in this sub-forum.

Yes I have thought about that too. Probably better in reality. But I like old things, the look, the sturdiness. Normally I would be after perfection in function, but in this case since I will not use it that often, I'm swayed by the old esthetics, engineering....... I think that if I was going get serious into records then I would shell out for a new record deck. But since a turntable will really be a toy to mess with every so often, my idea was cheap and cool looking. But quality if I can get it.
But that said my main Hifi is about 25 years old, apart from new speakers that I bought new last year...

I would add an AR EB101 into the mix. Just sold mine, good sound, was £250 new in 1987 so probably equivalent to a £500 now, full suspension belt drive with nice tone arm. Original gland cartridge is ok, I updated with an AT110e which improved it quite a bit for not a lot of cash. Finding one with a good lid may be the challenge. Usually go around the £100 mark on eBay.

Acoustic Research AR EB101 Vintage Turntable Record Play Deck Two Speed Vinyl | eBay

On the Technics side, if you can get hold of an sl1600/1700/1800 mk2 they have the same internals and arm as the sl1200. They also has the quartz lock as well. But they have shot up in price recently.

The rotel rp3000/2500 is also worth adding aswell, nice direct drive and the tone arm is a copy (ish) of the SME ones of the time. Don’t come up often but are middle of your price range.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
On the Technics side, if you can get hold of an sl1600/1700/1800 mk2 they have the same internals and arm as the sl1200. They also has the quartz lock as well. But they have shot up in price recently.

Agree - the 1500 may be one to avoid unless it is in really good shape and work well. They have been known to suffer issues with drive as they age and not of the kind of quality and longevity you get with the 1200 for eg.

Okay thanks.
There is also a Technics SL 1411 for 160. Fully auto as well.

Just reading there that in 2008 the Dual CS435 cost $749, so what would that be, around 500 Pound? So in todays money it would be a fair few smackers. But obviously age, wear and tear etc...

The sl1410 is just a technics dark bronze version of the silver sl1400 iirc (10 denotes the bronze 00 denotes silver), the 1300 was fully auto, 1400 semi auto and 1500 manual, same for the next gen technics turntables which was the 1600 fully auto, 1700 semi auto and 1800 manual. There was also the 150 which was a 1500 without the arm so you could put your own on it, same for 120 which was an armless 1200. SME or RB300 we’re favourites but there is the odd Jelko one about.

Don’t forget the Dual 505 & Pioneer PL12 as both gave a cracking performance for their time.

Bill

If the Hitachi appeals the suggestion of a PL12D is right on the money. Simple to fettle so if you can find one in nice cosmetic condition it will tick all the boxes.Similar models were made by Trio / Kenwood and Sansui.

No wood finish but the Ariston Q deck can be had for under £100 and great value for money. It has lift off at the end of the side, but otherwise manual. Several on Ebay at present.

If automation appeals, look at Sony PS-T22 or 33 and similar as they will come in less than the Technics mentioned.

Try to buy local and collect in person.It's unusual for TTs as old as these to come with original packaging so shipping is perilous!

Jim

I was looking around and other classics as mentioned were demanding way more money on Fleabay than the Hitachi. Over 300 quid for Pioneer LD12D- not sure if that is good or not?
Anyway I bit the bullet on the PS-8 :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom