1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What ohm are Canton CD1?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mevetts, Aug 10, 2004.

1. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Just looking on the website and it states the impedance as '4...8 ohms' :confused:

In the manual I downloaded for the receiver I want to use (Onkyo TX-SR500E) it says not to use speakers below 6 ohms.

Does anyone know what the situation is?

Many thanks,

Mark.

2. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No ideas anyone? Hornydragon?

3. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Canton CD series speakers state 4-8 Ohms because the impedance goes up and down as the frequency changes, this is true of all speakers, manufacturers specify a nominal impedance which is an average! Canton are just truthful and tell it as it is! An average for the CD1 is 6 Ohms it may go down to 4 ohms but is more likely to do this at the bottom end of the frequency range at which point it won't matter because you'll have filtered out the bass at 80Hz when you set your amp to small speakers. Being that they are satellites, or as they call them a mini speakers, they are an easy load for any amp and you won't have any problems. My spare amp at home won't do lower than 6 Ohms and had no problem with these speakers (I took the demo pair), even when I hooked up a pair of Acoustic Energy AE109's (6 Ohms stated) the amp went into protection!!! after checking the impedance I could see why, it was 2 Ohms :eek: which was clarified by AE's technical manager when he tested the reference pair at the factory.

I have been spending a lot of time with the Canton CD series speaker recently as we have got the whole range in our demonstration room 3, I have been testing and experimenting with them throughout the last week, around running them in, which takes a very long time due to the metal drivers. I will be posting my findings later in a relevant thread.

I hope this information is useful to you

Hayes Alkin
    www.av-sales.co.uk
    www.kenthomecinema.co.uk
    hayes@kenthomecinema.co.uk

4. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That has been really helpful, thanks.

It would be great to hear your thoughts, some say that metal drivers can tend to sound slightly bright, so would be good to see what you think.

Any idea on time schedule for a review? How long does it take to run the Cantons in?

Mark.