1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What now ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mad Max, Nov 17, 2000.

1. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I contracted the virus... What happens to me now ?

I've been waiting for an Onkyo TX-DS787 to arrive for about 2 months. when I finally got the news, it was not good. The full shipment didn't arrive, and I was left out. Well, it didn't really matter, because meanwhile I started to read a lot about the Denon AVR-3801.

So, guess what I decide... Ok, change my order, and get me the Denon. Did you guess what happened ? Out of stock, of course ! (It's the only moment I hate living in Portugal, is when they tell me it's out of stock!).

So, today, (And all this happened Yesterday), I call me local dealer, and get a REL Q100-E. I'll pick it up tonight !

Can anybody tell me what happened ?????????

I still have de Denon on Backorder, of course, and I have an Onkyo Pro-Logic at home.

Now, first, I would like to have your opinion on what happened. How do I set out to buy a receiver, and get home with a sub-woofer ?

Second, I need ideas on how to spend my money: I got B&W's 302 305 and CC3, Onkyo TX-DS646, Micromega DVD, Panasonic S-vhs Video, 32" Phillips Widescreen TV, and tonight, REL Q100-E (Yessssssssssss).

What do I buy next ? I was thinking B&W 603's and LCR6, and a Phillips Pronto to finish up... but after that ??????

Well, most of all, I was just curious about how many of you have set out to buy something, and got home with something completely different [​IMG]

Rui

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

2. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Pronto remote idea, I'd recommend getting that earlier rather than later. I got mine first, before any of my current AV kit. I figured it'd take a while to get to know, and as it's turned out, it has taken me ages to get it programmed up, but only because I keep fiddling with it trying to perfect it! I'm still debugging various options.

You can program it for your current kit, and update it for future kit as it arrives, rather than having everything, and trying to do it all at once.

Just a minor thought.

Stuart

3. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Max, it is a classic case of substitution.....get it SUB-stitution, anyway I do it a lot, you are feeling a little down because this or that didn't come in and to make yourself feel better you go out and buy somthing expensive. I'm glad to see you went for the Dennon, I think you will be happier with it in the long run.
    What I would do on the speakers front is first sell the CC3, then buy 3 LCR6's and use them as just that Left, Center, and Right. Move the DM305's to the surround Left and Right. Then wall mount the DM302's as the surround back channels. Voila....complete tonal matching across the front and the back, and the front to back matching will be pretty close as well.

4. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Re: Pronto.

Someone in another thread says there's a colour version coming soon, so maybe you'd like to wait? Either to get the colour one, or to get the b/w one which will probably drop in price when the new one comes out.

5. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SUB-stitution... [​IMG]
    Nice one Simonsez... Never would have thought of that one [​IMG]
    Good idea, the 3 LCR6's... I am wondering, though, what whould be best ?
    The price should be pretty close to my first choice (1 LCR6 + 2 603's) so the chase is open... Now, I will NEVER find a dealer in Portugal with 3 LCR6's to audition. I couldn't find one with 1 [​IMG].
    So, here I go decomposing my options again (Professional deformation, I guess)

1) Are the LCR6's better than the 603's for Stereo ?
    2) How different is the tone between LCR6 and 603 ?
    3) Which is more important to me ? Tonal matching or Stereo sound ?

As usual, any thought are welcome.

Pronto:Yup, I read the thread too... Was thinking I could wait, especially because it's not my first priority [​IMG] Thanks for the tip anyway. Anybody has a release date ?

------------------

Rui

6. simonsez

simonsez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LCR6 has almost the identical drivers as the 603, so I think the tonal differences would be minimal. In stereo I think the 603's would be slightly superior...but only slightly. Bigger box volume = deeper bass extension. If you watch 60% movies I would opt for the 3 LCR6's....the benefit of having three matching speakers would (for me) outweigh the slight performance gain the 603's would give you. Of course all of this is subjective, the best way to determine what is most important to you is to go audition them.
    I have a question...if it is so difficult to get equipment in Portugal, why not take a day trip to France and get the stuff there, or mail order from the UK. Forgive me if the answer is obvious, but we Americans are a little spoiled....if we can't get it in our town....we jusr drive to the next town over.

7. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I still haven't decided, but thanks for your opinion anyway. It always helps to have a starting point. I listen to more music than HC 70%(First thing I do when I get home is turn on the music).

Now, in the next few years, I'll be building a house, with a big enough garage to make a dedicated cinema room. At that point, I guess I'll buy a dedicated stereo for the living room, mostly for music. This doesn't help, because it tells me that I should concentrate now on HC now, to be able to concentrate later on the other system.

As for the other question, no, the answer isn't that obvious. Actually, there are several answers possible. I'll try to explain:

In Europe, with different countries, it might be pretty difficult to have waranties working when you buy stuff in other countries. Ex: You have a problem with a product bought in France, and the Representative in Portugal might argue that it's bought elsewhere. This, plus the different legislation within countries, makes it hard to know who is responsible for the problems you might have.

Same thing applies to mail-order. In case of conflicting interests, it's hard to attain responsibilities.

Plus, shipping and handling is pretty expensive here.

International flights here are much, much more expensive than internal US flights.

I could drive to France, but one day drive to get there, plus one day to come back is not worth the risk of getting there and not finding what you're looking for.

Ok, these were the bad point. Now for the good [​IMG] (Sort of)

I live in Lisbon, and if a piece of equipment doesn't exist here, is probably doesn't exist anywhere close (Less than 400 miles, into Spain).

And the problem here is not the availability of the equipment. It will arrive eventually (+-2 weeks). The problem is that High End shops are rare, because most people can't afford this kind of equipment. And even those shops have very little to show on their shelves. They can order most stuff from the national importers, and if available, they will get next day delivery, but it is very unliquely to find good equipment you can actually audition.

It's very unliquely for them to get something from the importers just for auditioning, and even less to provide a unit for home testing. Old habits die hard. [​IMG]

Well, now you know a lot more about us "complicated europeans". You guys have it easy compared to us.

I'll be happy to explain any other questions you have [​IMG]

Rui

p.s. wow, this is a huge reply [​IMG]

p.s.2. Forgot this one: The value of the pound compared to the Euro makes buying in the UK very expensive nowadays.

------------------

Rui

[This message has been edited by Mad Max (edited 21-11-2000).]