1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What now for ITVDigital ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dUnKle, Apr 26, 2002.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    According to the headlines of my local paper ITVDigital has now gone, and so have all the pay per view channels, the story also hints at possible repossesions of ALL set tip boxes.

Well Sky 1 and all the rest are still coming out of my box and theres no sign of any big burly blokes in a dodgy white van outside the house ( yet )

So whats going on ?

Will the company be purchased by somebody else, some say BBC have actually already put a bid in !

The reason I ask is that if its going to go belly up and the channels will get turned off ( even if for a limited period ) then I am considering getting a 2nd Sky installation ?

Apparantly for about £200 you can get a 2nd sky box running off your existing Sattelite dish which allows independant viewing of all channels that the main box is subscribed to ( this is with a £13 a month charge ) which I think is not that bad a deal, has anybody tried it ?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    ITV D have enough cash for this weekend then if nothing is sorted they will go off air next week.
    FTA channels will continue and it was mentioned SKY might leave their channels running as a "goodwill" PR gesture.
    I would guess any buyer/liquidator will definetly consider the digiboxes as theirs, so they will remain with existing/new subscribers or sold off as FTA recievers.

SKY's "mirror" subscription costs £12 a month and the extra hardware can be bought from SKY or picked up second hand or from an independent dealer.

SKY's offer of a new digibox and installation is not a bad deal.
    £215 buys the box and another £50 for the replacement LNB and installation, SKY were offering the digibox for £169 as a special dealer the last month:)
    Note....Both digiboxes have to be connected to the same phone line as a requirment for the "mirror" subscription.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Not wanting to take the risk of loosing any of the channels I watch I have decided to take the plunge and get rid of my Nokia TVDigital box.

Called Sky yesterday and paid them about £200 ( the wallet hurts ) and somebody is coming out next Sunday to install a second Sky box running off the existing sat dish outside the house.

For £12 a month I will now have access to ALL the channels which my Dad subscribes too, which is in fact ALL of them :)

Just in case anyone wanders, there is a thing on the news this morning saying that Microsoft are considering buying the network