What non 3D should i buy? Please help me.

Alloneword

Standard Member
I have been looking seriously now for almost a month for a 46" or 47" inch LED LCD TV with a matt screen finish, I was going to get a LG 47LE8900 but only richer sound have them and there ex display so I'm not going down that route.

On top of what i have mentioned i'd like some form of internet connection just to watch stuff like iPlayer/itv player/ 4OD etc not worried about apps/facebook or browser just catch up TV (ok maybe youtube), min 1 scart a couple of USB sockets that will allow me to playback avi/mkv's etc 4 HDMI's, PC input socket.

I know sound tends to be next to useless on most sets nowadays so something with decent audio connections but having said that i'm not an audio nut, I want to buy from Richer Sounds or John Lewis as i want a 5 year warranty with it, everytime i find something of intrest there either out of stock or having various "issues" there was one I was looking at the other day that had problems with banding, all i want is a TV that won't give me any hassles, I'm even thinking of holding onto my CRT for a bit longer as this search is doing my head in.

Budget well like most folks nowadays funds are tight but I have somewhere in the region of £500 to £800 but would go up to a grand if there was something amazing out there but given i'd be happy with a non 3D set i suspect i should spend about 6 to 700, plus i'd like to buy some speakers or soundbar as well if i can.

Do you have any suggestions? Right now i'm looking at the Samsung UE46D5520 from JL for £750, I want to make a decision soon on what model/models to get so i can keep an eye on the prices to see if they come down before Christmas.

All1

vickster

Distinguished Member

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member

Alloneword

Standard Member
Its the way sets are going, do you have a bright environment? why do you need a matt screen?
Hi Scooby, i do have a bright living room and looking at some of the glossy sets in the shops they give of a great deal of reflection, but this is proving a nightmare so next week i'm off to local Currys/PC World too look at there ones then i might take a walk up Tottenham Cuort Road to see what the deal is up there.

All1

vickster

Distinguished Member
Just as well you didn't get the 47LE8900, as reflective as they come!

I don't know that you'll get much of a deal on TCR, but worth a try. Also, Edgware Road has AV retailers, not to mention JL on Oxford Street

Alloneword

Standard Member
Well checked out local comets and PC World today tech advice was up to usual level (sarcasm coming across i hope) I do like the screen finish of the Sony's it's just there so damm expensive, I'm off to TCR Tue or Wed with an open mind and just look at what's on offer, I have to get matt (matte) screen these other ones are like looking in the bathroom mirror and the last thing i want to see in the middle of a flick is me sitting on the sofa in my "budgie smugglers" nuff to put anyone of the popcorn, will update when i come back from TCR this week just for the hell of it.

All1

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Well checked out local comets and PC World today tech advice was up to usual level (sarcasm coming across i hope) I do like the screen finish of the Sony's it's just there so damm expensive, I'm off to TCR Tue or Wed with an open mind and just look at what's on offer, I have to get matt (matte) screen these other ones are like looking in the bathroom mirror and the last thing i want to see in the middle of a flick is me sitting on the sofa in my "budgie smugglers" nuff to put anyone of the popcorn, will update when i come back from TCR this week just for the hell of it.

All1

The Panasonic GT30 and VT30 have very good filters, still reflect but not too bad.

vickster

Distinguished Member
But aren't the actual screens reflective with plasma, being made of glass and all? This is pretty standard now, my Samsung is rather reflective

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
But aren't the actual screens reflective with plasma, being made of glass and all? This is pretty standard now, my Samsung is rather reflective

Yes theyre glass so they reflect:p the reflection seems less apparent though. I have near white walls so when the sets off I can see them, my sofa and me, but its dark more a blury shadow than clear reflection, Ive seen worse, even when my rooms well lit. Glass fronted seems to be the way sets are going looking out and about. The point I was making is some sets are better than others.:)

Alloneword

Standard Member
Well dragged my sorry rear end up the west end today (TCR) and what a waste of time, been a long time since i last went up there and boy has it gone down the pan in a big way, decent Sony and Panasonic shop and that's it, anyway plumped for a Sony as it's screen seems best for me in my situation.
£949 for the 46EX524B plus £150 cashback making it £800 which i'm happy with I didn't go for the higher model KDL46EX723 as it came with 3D and to be honest i'll never need that, also internet will be piped to TV via cable not wi-fi?
Now am I being think by not going for the KDL46EX723 right now i can get it for the same £949 plus £150 again making it £800.

Off to read the owners thread now.

All1

Last edited:

AlandEi

Novice Member
Samsung 46D5520 seems the obvious option for a 2D SMART model

Buy Samsung UE46D5520 LED HD 1080p TV, 46 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

All TVs seem to have some sort of issue or other, best just to find one that meets your needs and don't go reading threads around issues and certainly not looking for them ;)

The Samsung 5520 series had a reasonable review from Digitalversus, who seem to be VERY critical of most sets reviewed normally, but the high gloss screen put me off the Samsungs.

Digitalversus were not impressed at all with my eventual choice, the Panasonic TX-L37E30B, although other reviewers indicated that any anomilies could be ovecome with adjustments in the menu.

Alan.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom