What no wood !

P

Paulo88

Hi all,
just come to mount the 37" plasma on the wall only to find that because its a new house there is no wooden beems behind plaster boards. Its put up with whats called "dot & dab". In other words huge great big sploges of plaster.

Theres about a 1" gab between the plaster board and the breeze block behind. Any ideas how the hell I'm gonna get the plasma to stay up. Apart from building a false fire place.

Ooo... nasty!

Sign of times mate - all as quick and as cheap as you can with little pride in the job in the building game these days!

So... (sharp intake of breath!)... that's gonna cost ya mate... ;)

Nah, my suggestion would be big, and I mean big, screws & plugs. Check out some 'frame fixings' from Builders Merchant with 4" Pozidrive screws. Make the hole just the right size - not too tight cos that'll just make you mad while trying to get the plugs & screws in, and not so loose that they just fall out the wall towards you!

Length is the key - you have nothing of any real substance for the first inch or so. Also remember that with lightweight blocks in the wall, your masonry bit will very quickly rip a huge hole in them! Maybe start a little smaller than the diameter marked on the plugs - oh and watch out for cables running up the wall directly above sockets

Hope this helps! If not, a Viera & it's lovely Cabinet Stand sure will :)

Ouch ! :censored:
luckily my brother in law is a dab hand with a drill and saw. But I didn't really want to start pulling walls to bits just to put up a plasma.
Oh well, better safe then plasma on floor !

I was in the same position as you mate, my house is only a few years old and built with cardboard and crisp packets! I bought a bracket from Curry's (yuk but I'm impatient and had to have it that day) and it came with everything you could need to attach along with some of the biggest bolts I've ever worked with. In the end I was less worried about it holding the weight,(it could hang a volvo) but whether next door had discovered six new coat hooks!! If you use big bolts into the breeze block, it ain't coming down. On the down side it means there is little space to cut into the plaster to feed the cables etc. Good luck.

Bigfatsi :thumbsup:

Paulo88 said:
Hi all,
just come to mount the 37" plasma on the wall only to find that because its a new house there is no wooden beems behind plaster boards. Its put up with whats called "dot & dab". In other words huge great big sploges of plaster.

Theres about a 1" gab between the plaster board and the breeze block behind. Any ideas how the hell I'm gonna get the plasma to stay up. Apart from building a false fire place.

You may be lucky and discover that they are not breezeblocks ,but concrete blocks :smashin: . I did.
Still used 10 plugs and coachbolts ( easier to tighten than screws) though :laugh:
Js

I used these anchor bolts from B&Q for my plasma install. I've got the same type of walls as you. The hole is drilled through the plasterboard and into the thermalite block behind. As the bolt is tightened the anchor expands into the block & with 6 of them holding up the mount, it's going to take a JCB to pull it off the wall.

See this thread for a few pics.

Cover'd said:
Ooo... nasty!

Length is the key - you have nothing of any real substance for the first inch or so.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Would it not be possible to cut small squares of plasterboard out at appropriate points and fix direct to the blocks using suitable spacers?

This topic has been been covered in great detail many many times (I posted in detail what I did as I have the exact same type of walls as you) - do some searches on "plasterboard" and similar and you will get a wealth of information on your options.

codlord said:
This topic has been been covered in great detail many many times (I posted in detail what I did as I have the exact same type of walls as you) - do some searches on "plasterboard" and similar and you will get a wealth of information on your options.

Search for posts by Jasonjo iirc . He created an excellent website with all the info you will need
atb
JS

I had this exact same problem I used 4 inch wall plugs straight through the board and into the wall.And for all those oh dont do that it will fall off a load of bull I got in contact with Wallplug company cause I like you did not want the thing falling off,The tech guy said that just one wall plug I was using can handle 100 kgs! divide you plasma buy six and there is no problem with the weight I hung my 42' panny still there solid as a rock.

Similar to mine Paulo.......................i have block party wall which is strapped and lined with p'board.....................so about 38mm from wall to line of p'board.

i cut a square section of the plasterboard away ........enough to take the bracket..........................then fixed an 18mm plywood section to block wall with 90mm frame fixings (for doors, windows etc) then fixed another 18mm section to that one and the block with the same fixings....................this brought me out flush with the p'board..............................bracket then screwed to both ply sections with large wood screws...............it ain't coming down.

Hopefully.......if i move...........................i just skim coat over the board to hide the panel.

Thought about recessing it slightly..................but more p'board cuttng.........and think needs room to disapate heat.

hope this helps, cheers, tam

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom