WHAT !! - No stereo sound from SKY box???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Davidedwards, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Davidedwards

Davidedwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two stereo TVs connected to my PACE digibox, one via SCART and the other in another room via coax cable from the digibox RF out.

The SCART connected TV gives stereo sound, but the coax connected one only gives mono on the SKY channel despite the same coax cable carrying terrestrial signals from the digibox's RF out which ARE in stereo.

I rang SKY and they said that a TV must be connected via a SCART lead to give stereo sound. Why is this when a coax cable is good enough for terrestrial stereo? Is there any way around it apart from using a second (very long!) SCART, or getting a second SKY box?

Your assistance is most appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RF can can only carry mono or oncoded stereo (nicam) as STB has not got a Nicam encoder you will only get mono. A stereo video sender might work see Argos or similar for them.£60-£80 composite only but so is RF.

3. Davidedwards

Davidedwards

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is 'oncoded stereo'?
    If I get a video sender, presumably the transmitter would need a SCART connection from the digibox?
    Thanks for your help with this.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    What sky told you is correct.

The only way to get stereo into an aerial cable is if you have a NICAM transmitter module - and AFAIK nobody makes one for retail sale.

The only way to get stereo into a TV without using an aerial cable is with an AV connection (such as SCART).

If you got a video sender, it would need to be connected to the digibox (at the 'send' end) via SCART or other AV connection. And the 'receive' end would also need to be connected to the TV using SCART etc,.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Not strictly true Channel+ do a Nicam encoder module for their Video distribution systems.