What Next ? ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by the mechanic, Aug 24, 2005.

1. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi there,
    I am after some advice as to what DVD player to get next ?
    At present I have a Toshiba SD340, but am missing SACD and DVD-A replay (I did have a Pioneer dv565).
    I had almost decided on a Pioneer dv585, but was put off by some negative reports on it. So the question is, do I go for a Pioneer dv575 or a Samsung dvd-hd950 ?
    Both do SACD/DVD-A and prog scan (will be connecting to a Toshiba 32ZP48 TV) using component leads as the telly accepts PAL/NTSC prog scan.
    Has anyone got any views/comments on either of these players as I wish to buy one or the other by the weekend, and need my mind "making up" for me.

Thanx,

Graham.

2. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...the Pioneer !!

I had to make this decision recently too. I finally decided on the Pioneer DV-575a for a few reasons:

Firstly the analogue outputs give better results that the Samsung 950 - in both RGB and Component flavours.

The Pioneer has slightly better build quality and the dealer said they have more Samsung returns than Pioneer by a country mile.

I dont need HDMI yet and wont for some time - and this is the only thing the 950 has going for it.

The 575a also has a better GUI and firmware too imho.

I just watched 'Hostage' (superb film) on my new 575a and it was nothing short of stunning. Being a 'dark' movie (in all senses) the Pioneer simply made everything look gorgeous. Blacks are jet black, colours rich and natural. The sound output is so good i cant quite believe it either. This is because the Pioneer has a dedicated processor for the each of individual formats - unlike certain other DVD players I could mention!!

As you can see i am a big fan of my newly acquired DV-575a.

I'm sure you will be too. :thumbsup:

3. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Cheers Media_Man,
    I was leaning towards the Pioneer, but just needed that little "push" to help me make my mind up. I only got the Tosh as it was easily M/R hackable (pioneer was R2 only), plus the Tosh is PAL and NTSC prog-scan (Pioneer NTSC only :confused: ).
    So it looks like a trip to Richersounds is on the cards this Friday (£99 quid for a M/R DV575).... :smashin: .... Unless anyone else has any views on the Samsung ? I dont really need HDMI as yet, but may sometime in the future, and am thinking maybe its better to wait until I need the features of the Sammy hopeing that Pioneer brings a HDMI enabled player out at a reasonable price, or bite the bullet and future-proof myself now ?

Thanks,
    Graham

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Right my minds made up now. Have got Richersounds in Stockport to reserve a 575 for me for collection on Saturday, (R/S in Chester are out of stock till Tuesday :mad: ).
    Cant wait to give it a try out over the bank-holiday w/e.... :thumbsup: ....

TTFN,
    Graham.

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Did you try it out then and how is it?

Is there a layer change?

6. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Two words...CHUFFING BRILLIANT....
    I cannot praise this player enough for the price. Picture is excellent using prog-scan thru component, even RGB scart is good. Sound is also great, DVD soundtracks are awash with detail, SACD playback War Of The Worlds in 5.1 is great, better than my old DV-565.
    TBH, I haven't noticed the layer change as badly as with some players. It is better than the DV-565 and the Tosh SD-340 I borrowed off a mate. There is a slight "pause" in the sound, but I think it is mostly down to where the DVD producer decides to put the layer change. Some DVD's I've seen put the layer change between scenes so its not as noticable, others seem to forget they are running out of space on the first layer, and just change mid-scene so its more noticable.
    In all honesty though, I am more than happy with it. For the price IMHO you cannot go wrong. Plays multi-region discs no problem (admittedly I only have a few R1 discs but they play without a hitch), CD playback to my ears, is good enough, SACD discs sound great (haven't tried any DVD-AUDIO yet), and I have also yet to try DIVX, Xvid, WMA playback.
    In summary then, to me the Pioneer DV-575 is a great machine. There are cheaper players out there that can offer better handling of DIVX / Xvid files, most budget players now offer prog-scan, multi-region playback etc etc, BUT what happens if something goes wrong with, say a supermarket special player ? what if it needs repairing, where does a repairer get parts to fix it ? Sure if its under guarantee you should be able to get it replaced, but once out of guarantee what then ? With the Pioneer you get IMO better build and reliability than some of the "cheapies" out there, plus there are enough dealers/repairers to help when/if things go wrong.
    Buy one in complete confidence, you won't be disappointed.

All the best,

Graham.

7. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How may DVD's have you tried and have you seen any pic/sound drop outs?

8. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have watched about 6 full movies and countless "test scenes" since Saturday, and have not yet seen any pic or sound dropouts.
    There is also no flickering of the picture as some people have reported, I am using the component out in prog-scan to my Toshiba 32zp48 CRT TV with a quality set of leads (QED P-CV1).
    As I have said, for me this Pioneer is one of the best performing DVD players I have owned given the price. Doubtless there will be other people who will say there are better players to be had, but for me and what I have it connected to (CRT TV), I feel I am getting the best performance to pound value I can get. If I had the money / space etc to have a dedicated home cinema room, (I envy the people who do), then maybe my perceptions would be different. But as it is my "home cinema" room unfortunately has to double as the main sitting room / lounge, so compromises have to be made.
    I don't think I could justify spending thousands (hell even hundreds), on a top-of-the-range, all singing / dancing hi-end DVD player with the kit I have now. Who knows, If my six numbers on the lottery come up.... :rolleyes: .... then I would be in a position to buy all that I wanted, and house it all in a dedicated, professionally designed / built room. Until that day arrives, I will have to stick with what I have now.
    Sorry about rambling on there for a bit.... :rolleyes: .... All I really wanted to say was, GO AND BUY ONE ASAP. If you are unsure it may not be for you, see if your local Richersounds has one connected up on display, take some of your fave discs along, and try one out. Unless you have got yourself a multi thousand pound set up at home (in which case whatta ya doing in a RS store ? ?), I bet you will come out with one under your arm.

ALL THE BEST,

Graham.

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm just double checking it's all ok and I'm not so bothered about the layer change as much as all the drop outs and glitches I've been getting.

I should of done more research on the Denon.

I'll probably knip into to Richer, or ring them up first, to see if they have stock.

Is it ok with Philips tellies, as I've read probs with Panasonic tellies in the older Pioneer players?

:)

10. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Wayne,
    I had exactly the same telly as you (Philips 32pw6506), for three years and had a 565 connected to it, so I think you'll have NO probs.

TTFN,
    Graham.

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cheers for that, but I've already bought one today from Richer Sounds.

No probs so far.

Plays my R1 DTS of Virus with no drop outs.

Pic and sound fine.

Well made, light, compact and a very very quick layer change. It also changes chapters very very quick, which might have something to do with it.

It's nice to have the bitrate counter back that I had on my Sony 725.

:)