1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What next?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Orbital, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Everyone,

I've had my Barco Data 800 for close to three years now and it's given me an enormous amount pleasure over that time and apart from a small problem on the amplifier board on the green tube has run without a hitch. But change is as good as a rest as they say and I'm wondering where I should go next? After looking at LCD's and DLP's I know these aren't for me and I'm going to stick with CRT, but which one?

I'd love to own a Barco 808s, but they still pull quite a premium and are more than my budget, which is around £1000. I've seen some Barco 701s and 801s but I'm unsure of how they stack up against the BD800 I already have. Some of the older Sony and Seleco CRT's come up now and again on eBay which look quite interesting but again I'm unsure of which ones would give me an improvement over my current CRT.

Any help in what direction I should be heading in would be much appreciated.

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,193
    I have just changed from a BD800 to a Graphics 808. Have a look around because there are some real bargains where CRT are concerned at the moment as DLP and LCD push prices down. I paid £1k for my 808 which is clean as a whistle inside and out and the tubes are in good nick. Why not put a wanted ad in the classifieds?

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Phil,

When I'm closer to puchasing I may wel put a wanted add up.

How do you find the 808 to the 800? Is it a day and night thing or is it a lot more subtle than that? I'll be sorry to see the 800 go as it's been a fantastic PJ and a great way of getting into this CRT lark.

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,193
    Dave,
    It has yet to be installed, will let you know once it's up and running. I am expecting a great deal of difference in terms of focus and sharpness.

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,193
    Install has been done at very short notice by James from www.crtprojectors.co.uk and just one word can describe it. Awesome!

Full thread with pics on the way soon.

Orbital, the difference between the 800 and the 808 is night and day.