1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what next?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by J.W, Mar 8, 2004.

1. J.W

J.W
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A year ago I bought a 32" Loewe Aventos TV and now it is time to add some home cinema kit and I could do with some advice from you guys. Here's a quick spec.

Budget = around £400-£500.
    Existing kit = Loewe Aventos TV, average Toshiba DVD player, Panasonic Video, old Sony HIFI system with decent JPW Sonata speakers.

The Sony HI-FI system is heading for the attic, so the new kit must have a tuner and playback CDs well. The JPW speakers are OK so could be used as part of the surround sound system. The DVD player is OK, but it could also be sent to the attic if not needed.

I would say audio quality (for CDs) is as at least as important as DVD picture quality. Also I don't want the speakers to be any larger than book-shelf style - ideally small remote speakers would be best - but I'm not sure how good the sound quality will be.

So, what do I do? I like the look of the Jamo DVR50 + A305 system and the Sony DAV-SC6 has good reviews but seems a little plasticky. Alternatively I could buy a separate AV receiver such as the Panasonic VSX-C301 and upgrade my DVD player later. I then have to choose the speaker kit - either a complete kit like the Tannoy FX5.1, Mission M3 or Elac Cinema One, or a selection of separate speakers (probably from Richer Sounds).

As you can tell I have done some research but I would appreciate some input, is it an all-in-one system or separates? - any recommendations would be appreciated.