What next generation tvs need

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by GAZBEROTTEN, Feb 23, 2013.

1. GAZBEROTTEN

GAZBEROTTEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Heres somethings that need to be included as standard with next generation tvs

• USB Ports. With these people can easily update the tvs firmware from the manufacturers website which can be updated to add additional features and to also keep the firmware update. This would allow manufacturers to allow there customers to also insert the usb drive with the official firmware which could also include an application that would detect any problems with the tv and explain to the customer how to fix the problem if possible or if the tv needed repaired

• Built in hard drives. I know this sounds silly but with most tvs offering a built in tv recorder this would be very handy for storing programs or movies recorded and would allow people to not have to always rely on having to go out and by tv recorders or boxes and could also be used for other purposes as well with the current tvs supporting online access.

• Built in cameras. Although this is doubtful there is still the chance that in the future skype will evolve to the point where tvs will end up going the skype software route since both video and audio can be supported. Technology advances and doing this with the next gen tvs will practically give them social media ready status since some of them will be able to stream media of the router and even go online.

• Internet browser- With next gen tvs being online may as well have a built in browser since it would be handy to alot of people.
    Thanks for reading and may i wish you all a pleasant week

2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,387
    1. Been there for years, my 2009 Samsung ccan do this.
    2. Since only one TV thaat I know of (ZT60) has tow tuners people can't record on thing and watch another.
    3. In some from 2012.
    4. In for the past couple of years.

3. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,829
    I had to check the date on the OP just to see if this was a bump! Most, if not all, of those have been implemented in many TV's, as Trollslayer points out.

What TV's actually need, are IPv6 ports, 802.11n wifi, and more comprehensive codec support for file-based media (either streaming over network or direct from USB content)

4. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,387
    A big increase in CPU power would make smart functions (particularly browsing) much more usable.
    IPV6 is, I believe, a software only function at layer 3.

5. celsius

celsius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    All the features are already in many TVs.
    But most of them are not far from useless.
    1. Not many manufacurers bother or want to update the firware to give you newer/better features. They give you new models instead. Otherwise no one will buy new models.
    2. How big a harddisk do you want/expect? If it is built do you want it to be upgradable? Why not just connect external harddisk so you can move the files in/out and use the biggest to your hearts contend?
    3. a camera is not really useful/needed, at least to me or many.
    4. For a browser to work well, it need good hardware/software. You cannot expect the CPU processing power in a TV any better than the slowest modern PC. And to work well with video, a browser may need external add-ons. You cannot get all these in the TV browser. Therefore, browser in TV do not work well.

6. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I think having an internal hard drive is one of the worst ideas. Just imagine the hassle of losing your TV for the night purely down to drive failure :mad:.

An external swappable drive (or other external media), as most modern sets already support, is far better in my view :smashin:

7. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,829
    I don't think you'd lose the use of the TV or the night because the drive failed. You'd just lose the function of playing back programmes you've recorded on it. You'd still be able to use the Freeview/Freesat tuner, and all the other inputs; such as BluRay player, AppleTV/other media player, etc.

I nearly bought an LG plasma that had a 750gb HDD in it, which would have been quite useful for the odd programmes I record, and meant I'd have been able to get rid of my ageing Freeview PVR

Now, a terrabyte SSD drive in a TV, that's another story! Would push the price up pretty high though :(

8. ovbg

ovbg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    1: USB ports are there, but these are not needed for firmware updates. This can be done in many cases simply over the internet. Every now and again, my TV requests an update, and the new firmware arrives automatically through the internet connection.

2: This is a good idea. The only reason you don't see them is that TV companies are desperately trying to keep costs down. Believe it or not, one of the largest criteria for choice is price. TV's spend quite a bit on technology for the screen, but want to keep everything else down. This is why the computer inside, which is effectively what all modern TV's are, is so basic and outdated (and sluggish), and why they don't want to add a hard drive. If they did, and it increased the cost of their TV only a couple of pounds above the competition, many people would still choose the cheaper one.

3: This is there on some TV's. But is the TV really the best Skype box? Most people sit in front of the TV on their sofa, with their crotch basically at camera level. Fine for looking at your partner, but speaking to your mum may not be so appropriate ;O) Still, outside of that, it could still be fun.

4: This is indeed included on most if not all Smart TV's. The problem is the UI is horrible. Think about it, on a computer or tablet, you use a mouse or touch pad. On a TV, the browser is a painful experience at best. That, and since most TV's run a frontend over a linux box, proper Flash is a problem. What good is a browser on a TV if it can't play most catch-up services.

What you are suggesting is standard on a modern Smart TV, which is quickly becoming the standard for TV's anyway. The only exception is the hard drive, and don't expect this outside of high end systems where price is not a major factor.

9. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Depends a lot on the firmware. I've come across many FreeView PVRs which actually shut down if HD failure is detected (even for quite minor errors) and don't forget a HDD would be the only moving part of the system and therefore prone to failure.

...but really I was referring to the annoyance of perhaps having the set taken away for repair.

On the other hand, an external drive could be replaced on the spot or simply substituted with other media.

10. Wolf159

Wolf159
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Some single tuner TVs will allow you to record one channel and watch another as long as its on the same multiplex. My Samsung allows this.

11. Wolf159

Wolf159
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    1. USB? Most smart TVs have had USB for years.
    2. Built in hard disk? Unnecessary. USB hard disks are cheap and easy to connect.
    3/4. Camera/Video calls & Internet Browser? Why on earth would you want these on your TV? Most people have computers, smartphones or tablets at home which perform these functions beautifully. Have you actually tried a browser on a smart TV? Its an awful experience.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013