1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What next as an upgrade? Advice sought

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pcavelle, Nov 13, 2001.

1. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I fairly recently set up a front room projection system with a Denon 2800 DVD & a Sim2 HT200DM, which is pretty good as a starter system. I've no major complaints about the picture at all although the projector I feel is a little noisy!

At the moment there is no possibility of a dedicated HC room, but how could I upgrade what I have?

My thoughts so far were:

1) Change of screen to something tab tensioned and 'grey-er' - either a Grayhawk or the Da Lite equivalent

2) Upgrade of exisiting component cable from Van Damme to something from Transparent Cable - will this make a difference?

3) Addition of some kind of processor - given that the projector is SVGA only I don't think I need a scaler. And given that the DVD player is PAL/NTSC progressive already I don't know if an iScan Pro will make an improvement, plus I think you have to manually switch it from PAL to NTSC. What else is there?

4) Sell remaining kidney, flog the HT200DM & buy an HT300 - greater contrast & resolution but still the same brightness. The Sim2 HT200DM is pretty dim really, not that that's a problem in the dark of course!

Any suggestions gratefully received but I don't have the room for a CRT!

Thanks - Paul

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    This could be a worthwhile upgrade. If you manage to get a comparative demo between a Grayhawk and normal screen I'd be interested to hear your findings.
    Probably not - I believe that the professional installers just use standard cable specified for the job.
    This might be worthwhile. See if you can take something like a Quadscan Elite home to demo. The internal scaler of the HT200DM can definitely be improved on. Try it with the opening scene of Star Trek: Insurrection.
    I prefered the HT200DM to the HT300 - but then the 300 has a much, much worse rainbow effect than the 200DM (which I barely noticed once during about 5 minutes of viewing).

Cheers,
    Liam

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Source material?, the HT300 should be better than the HT200DM with regard to rainbow since it has a faster colour wheel (2.5x vs 2x).

Jeff

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    My mistake, I should have said that the HT200DM was much better than the HT250 (not 300) for Rainbow. Source material was a NTSC DVD from an Arcam FMJ at The Event in Glasgow.

Cheers,
    Liam