Question What next ? Amp upgrade ..

andybond

Established Member
Reaction score
I have what I consider to be a fairly capable system setup.

I have :

Yamaha AX3030
B&W CM10S2 *2
B&W CM2 S2 center * 1
b&w m1 rears * 2
BK Electronics Monolith + sub.

I am quite happy with the sound , but in the never end quest for "more" I feel I might need / want to upgrade my amp.

Any suggestions for a better sound ? I realise that we are on the sliding scale of diminishing returns here

Let me know if you sell the 3030 pls mate ;)

Looks like you have a 5.1 set-up. You could add some height / presence / atmos speakers - might be a nice upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could do that , but my 3030 doe not support the atmos.

I havent the space really for presence ( rear )

I think the upgrade could come from the amp, but unsure what ..

I could do that , but my 3030 doe not support the atmos.

I havent the space really for presence ( rear )

I think the upgrade could come from the amp, but unsure what ..
In that case count me out for the 3030.

I was specifically looking for amp suggestions.

I was specifically looking for amp suggestions.

Well, yes, but you said you were happy with how it sounded, and that you were confused with how you could make it sound better. As you don't want to add more speakers, or room treatment, I suppose the only thing left is more power. The Cambridge Audio CXR 200 is currently the most powerful, current model AVR. Or you could add power amps to the pre-outs of your Yamaha.

Or, are you looking for something else?

Why do you want to upgrade your amp if you are happy with how it sounds?

Its the quest for a better sound.

You dont know what you are missing till you have it , right ?

I am not confused how I can make it better. I could add better speakers , amps , power amps , sound deadening , more speakers , better power isolation , better cables , different room positioning etc.

I just wanted to know a recommended amp upgrade from my very competent AX3030. Thats all.

Its the quest for a better sound.

You dont know what you are missing till you have it , right ?

I am not confused how I can make it better. I could add better speakers , amps , power amps , sound deadening , more speakers , better power isolation , better cables , different room positioning etc.

I just wanted to know a recommended amp upgrade from my very competent AX3030. Thats all.

Well then I suppose you would be looking at Cambridge Audio, Anthem or Arcam if you want a one box solution. Or you could go for separates - a pre amp / processor and power amps.

I am looking for specifics. I could google any of this so far , but it tells me a generic trait and not a recommended solution ( s )

Depending on your budget I Think the next step up would be Anthem and Arcam as the room correction offered by both is better and both are also good for music. Above that you are taking processor +Power amp combos in the £10000+ price braket.

Ok, thats useful info.

Is there anything worth doing to my current amp - IE adding power amp ?

When you mention Anthem/Arcam any specific models ?

I am looking for specifics. I could google any of this so far , but it tells me a generic trait and not a recommended solution ( s )
Perhaps if you had a specific problem, I could help you identify a specific solution. If you are looking at going up to the next tier in terms of cost (and therefore presumed better quality) in an AVR then you have been given the answers.

However, I think that from what all that will cost, you would be more likely to enjoy a much better sound quality improvement by adding additional speakers and /or additional power, and measuring and treating your room.

I can't find a bench test for the Yamaha A3030, but other similar Yamaha's have a power limiting issue when all channels are driven. So adding more power could offer you additional headroom and you may enjoy a cleaner, less distorted sound, especially during dynamic peaks.

If your happy with the sound characteristics of the Yamaha then adding power amps will supply more watts and make it sound more dynamic if thats what your after.

I personally dont like bright sounding systems and prefer a warmer sound so My Anthem MRX 720 and my previous 300 paired with my B&W speakers sound great to me but others may prefer a different combo. The 720 has alot more watts per channel than my old 300 and this is very noticable in the sound being more dynamic.

Your best bet is to find a dealer that offers a choice of amps and arrange some demos really to see if they have anything that makes you want to upgrade.

You could also look at the next level or above for your sub.....

Ok, thats useful info.

Is there anything worth doing to my current amp - IE adding power amp ?

When you mention Anthem/Arcam any specific models ?

With Anthems the models match how many speakers you can drive so 520 is 5.1 or 5.2 and 720 is 7.1, 7.2 or 5.2.1, 5.2.2 and 1120 is 7.4.1 or 7.4.2 the 720 and 1120 both have pre outs for the full 7.4.2 Im not current with info for the arcams as they are way out my price range as I got lucky with finding a ex demo MRX 720 at a very good price.

You could also look at the next level or above for your sub.....
i am really happy with my sub tbh at the mo. I dont feel I need much more from it .

I'm going to do +1 for the Atmos.

My AVR is the Marantz SR7010 (so half the price of your yammy) but adding Atmos (upfiring speakers) cost £240 (the ELAC A4's) and was a great upgrade.

I actually downgraded from a more expensive Pioneer AVR in order to get the Atmos support and the sound is WAY better.

Depends on what you are looking for but before spending several grand on a better AVR I'd give atmos some serious thought as the soundstage just has far more dimension.

Personally I love the sound of Arcam and B&W and have used that combination many times over the years ... given the price bracket of your Yamaha 3030 you could do a lot worse than the Arcam FMJ AVR550 (which has Atmos and Dirac room correction) ... and there's one up in the classifieds too - For Sale - Arcam FMJ 550 ;)

Ill have a look at reviews of the Arcam , thanks. It wasnt on my radar.

Ill have a look at reviews of the Arcam , thanks. It wasnt on my radar.
What hi fi are a good guide for forming opinions on products, they have no hidden agenda and are not there to give any biased views, just honest ones.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom