What new recorder would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Deggsy, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Deggsy

Deggsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to purchase a new DVD recorder which can be made multi-region. :thumbsup: I have a Toshiba 36ZP18Q TV and Sky digital. I started off with the Philips DVDR70 (a gift, not my first choice) but despite following the hack, it would only change to single-region and not multi. :suicide: I'm looking for something that will let me transfer my video collection to good quality as well as normal copying from TV.
    Any recommendations gratefully received!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Most DVD recorders can be purchased multi-region from online stockists or places such as Richer Sounds. As for your requirements most DVD recorders will do a good job of archiving from VHS - just avoid ones without a Time Base Corrector (the Philips is one of these). Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, JVC, Toshiba - all these and others all have TBCs.

As for recording from 'normal TV' (I assume you mean Sky) then look for models with RGB input. Again all brands listed have this apart from JVC models - ironically the ones best suited to archiving from VHS. So a decision for you there: JVC for VHS or highest quality Sky recordings. :rolleyes:

Have a look through the 'Which DVD Recorder' link in my signature for some outline advice and a list of the current favourites.

3. Deggsy

Deggsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak

I've just pushed the boat out a bit and gone for the Toshiba RDXS32. Lots of good info in the forum on it with lots of good feedback. Here's hoping!!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Very good choice and I think you'll probably be amazed at the power and flexibility when compared to the Philips DVDR70 model.