1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What New Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rick1486, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I'm looking for some guidance gang.

My Denon 2105 hasn't got enough optical inputs at the rear.

So I'm looking at potential replacements but need your advice. The new amp must have a minimum of 4 x optical inputs at the rear, be silver finish, be louder and clearer than the 2105.

The system is mainly used for TV viewing / watching DVD's as well as (roughly 30% of the time) for music.

I've demo'd the Arcam avr300 and the Denon 3805 and to be honest I personally couldn't hear enough difference to justify the extra money involved in those amps but at that time I wasn't in need of the extra optical inputs whereas now I am for purposes of connecting up all my other bits and pieces like the p.c., sky+, ps2 and xbox.

Any recommendations along with experience of use/ease of setting up/quality of equipment/supplied accessories/best deals at the moment will be much appreciated.

Please help.

Cheers
    Rick

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Might it be cheaper to invest in a soundcard for your PC with a coax output instead? Especially if you can't really hear the difference in the more expensive amps. Have you considered an optical splitter if you're really stuck?

3. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    didn't know you could get optical splitters mate and I'll have a look but I'd still appreciate anyone's thoughts re. the original question.
    Also, the coaxial input on the 2105 is already taken by the dvd player so I couldn't use that one anyway. Thanks all the same.

Cheers
    Rick