• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

What new amp?

Gspight

Novice Member
My trusted old Marantz sr4200 has died on me keeps switching off etc.

I have been more than happy with the way it has performed over the years. I had in connected to a samsung tv via a optical out to the av receiver and the cable box run into the tv with a hdmi.

I also use the samsung media server bit on the tv quite a lot.

So I am looking for a new receiver I don't understand what the dlna parts do? does that stream my media instead of the tv or is that only for music?

If I went basic would this be ok?

Yamaha RXV375 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

or should i add dlna

Yamaha RXV475 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds

I don't want to spend a huge amount as the wife is on maternity leave and I don't really get time to appreciate it.

Thank you for the help in advance

dante01

Distinguished Member
DLNA on AV receivers is restricted to audio and networked video streaming isn't supported by AV receivers apart from Sony who's top two high end models do support it.

You'd still need an external media player connected to an AV receiver in order to access video content over a network and to play it.

The RXV375 has no inbuilt networking capabilities of any kind. The RXV475 has DLNA and Airplay capabilities as well as net radio, but cannot deal with video accessed via its networking capabilities.

Gspight

Novice Member
so for me something like the 375 running the virgin box and then my tv as the streamer like it is now with an optical cable.

Is there a better option or is that as low budget you would recommend

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest using a dedicated media player or Blu-ray player with inbuilt media player capabilities, preferably one that can deal with MKV containers and HD audio via files as opposed to just via disc. Your TV will limit the audio to its own audio output capabilities. The most you can expect from it is DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1. A few media players allow you to play MKV container that include MDTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD audio. The Popcorn Hour A400 is a good option. You'd connect this to an AV receiver via HDMI and it would access the files stored elsewhere in your home over a local area network via DLNA.

Your TV is probablr ARC enabled? ARC allows TVs to send audio out over the HDMI connection ordinarilly used to input video from an AV receiver and thus does away with the need for a seperate audio connection between the TV and the receiver. More here:

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Audio Return Channel

HDMI ARC: What it is, how it works and why you should care | Digital Trends

I'd suggest connecting components directly to an HDMI equiped AV receiver as opposed to connecting them to the TV. The AV receiver would deal with the audio while passing the video on through to the TV via the receiver's HDMI output.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Onkyo receivers aren't such a good buy right now and are plagued with hardware issues, especially in relation to HDMI board failures.

The Denon AVRX2000 is probably the best deal for under £300 right now.

Gspight

Novice Member
I send audio out via an optical connector at the moment.

I don't have any problems playing mkv files etc from my all share server.

Not looking to really change the server side of things just yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom