What multiswitch?

DIESELind

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

First post and it may be a complicated question so I do apologise. I also would like to thank everybody in advance for their input and advice.

I've done a little research and can't find an answer which meets exactly what I want to do. Im quite switched on but no master electrician so if you could keep trade terms and acronyms to a minimum. That would be a great help in simplifying it for me.

I'm looking to install a Quattro LNB onto a Sky minidish and running it to a multiswitch.

From there I want to run feeds to 6 rooms for sky. (I'm not currently putting in 6 boxes. I'm just future proofing because I've bought a house and I'm gutting it. So when all the walls are bare I may as well run everything just in case)

Also, from the main living room Sky+HD I want to run coax to the multiswitch and then distribute that to the other remaining 5 rooms.

I'd also like to run a DAB aerial to the multiswitch and then distribute that to the 6 rooms as well.

I'm looking to put one of these ( http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=190882896125 ) in each of the six rooms. Running the sky to the sky outputs, the dab to the dab output and the RF2 output via the multiswitch to the TV socket. Could somebody also tell me what the return socket is for please?

Is this all possible with one multiswitch or would I need a separate booster for like this ( http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151663770997 ) for the watching of th living room Sky+HD box in the other rooms?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Your first problem is that a Quattro lnb will not fit a Sky dish without a bodge. The collar size on a lnb designed for a Skydish is smaller than the standard 40mm. That's because the feedhorn shape is designed to work with oval sky dish. You can though get multiswitches that will work with a standard quad lnb. The return socket is to allow the use of a magic eye distribution system with a sky box so you can watch the sky box elsewhere and use magic eyes to control it. The box you linked to is designed to connect to the return cable which connects to rf2 out, basically it's a way of connecting your aerial and the one analogue channel a Sky box modulator creates to other TV's.

Thanks.

I've not bought the dish yet so what would be the best setup? Quattro on the proper dish (not a mini)? or would a quad on a mini work just as well? Can you point me in the direction of a multiswitch that will work with a quad LNB and would it also distribute all the signals that I have previously asked stated?

For optimom performance using a multiswitch requires uding a dish of the next size up than that used for standard installs in your area to compensate for the signal losses inherent in the multiswitch (so a 60 cm for you ideally a standard "circular" dish with a quattro lnb)

Thanks guys. I've got most of the info I need I think.

So a multiswitch will not distribute the feed from th RF2 output on my Sky+HD box? I will need a separate booster for that?

And

If I use a quadrplexor to combine the FM, DAB and UHF will all the feeds including the Satellite feed go through just two coax to the quad plate with the quad plate separating all of the above feeds into the right place?

Afaik a switch will take an input from Sky RF2 out, and the signals are "plexed" into one socket.

image.jpg
Thanks for your reply logiciel but could you simplfy that a little please. I don't really understand.

I've done a drawing of my plans too

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I've got most of the info I need I think.

So a multiswitch will not distribute the feed from th RF2 output on my Sky+HD box? I will need a separate booster for that?
A multiswitch will pass through the RF2 Sky output (if it has an RF input) but most will not allow use of "magic eyes" as they usually do not pass the remote control signals back through to the Sky box.
And

If I use a quadrplexor to combine the FM, DAB and UHF will all the feeds including the Satellite feed go through just two coax to the quad plate with the quad plate separating all of the above feeds into the right place?
Yes but if you wish to use magic eyes make sure that both the quadplexer and faceplates are "magic eye" compatible.

Hi.
The diagrams are great, though they look the same to me!
I was assuming that the switch would have input sockets for everything and would do the "plexing" of them all, but the more knowledgeable may correct me on that.
Logi

A tad puzzled, I assume that the square boxes are twin tuner Sky pvrs and that the rf2 output of the box is shown connected to the device you first linked to. What is it supposed to do with these signals ? It has one TV input (DVB) you can connect a single sky box rf2 out to, and multiple outputs, supposed to connect to a remote TV and magic eye using coax cable to the magic eye and then on to the TV aerial input. These TV's will be able to tune to Freeview and the single Sky box connected to the amp input using the TV's analogue tuner.

You appear to be trying to use the multiple outputs as multiple inputs.

It's one Sky box to multiple TV's with remote control of a single sky box.

If you want to make all the sky boxes available to all remote TV's you would have to combine all the RF2 outputs into the single input (normally by chaining the rf2 out to the next box rf in and so on. Though you may struggle to find enough usable UHF channels for all the boxes you want to be able to view remotely on top of the ones used by your local transmitter (potentially 9 digital MUX and 6 analogue TV channels), and remote control would be a nightmare.

You would then need a extra coax from the amp to each TV in the system.

Last edited:
Sorry if it's confusing you all.

Logiciel, The diagrams are the same. It posted twice sorry.

Graham, the boxes are the rooms not pvrs so basically the rooms will all have these installed

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=190882896125

So I'm trying to get the multiswitch to send DAB, UHF, FM and Sat feeds to the relevant rooms.

Then on top of that I would like to mirror the living room Sky+HD feed to the other five rooms via the RF2 out using compatible magic eye amp to the return outlet on the above link.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=151663770997

Unless I can do the latter via the Multiswitch too?

Last edited:
Sorry if it's confusing you all.

Logiciel, The diagrams are the same. It posted twice sorry.

Graham, the boxes are the rooms not pvrs so basically the rooms will all have these installed

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=190882896125

So I'm trying to get the multiswitch to send DAB, UHF, FM and Sat feeds to the relevant rooms.

Then on top of that I would like to mirror the living room Sky+HD feed to the other five rooms via the RF2 out using compatible magic eye amp to the return outlet on the above link.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=15166377099

Unless I can do the latter via the Multiswitch too?

In that case you only need a return socket in the living room. The single return cable will send terrestrial Freeview and Sky analogue channel output to the other rooms. As already said, you may be able to incorporate the extra analogue TV channel into the multiswitch along with the terrestrial Freeview but at a guess the Magic Eyes won't work because a VHF return path from each magic eye is required to return the control signals to the Sky box. DM will be best placed to confirm this.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's OK and I've deleted the second diagram.
Do you really need so many Sky recorders, and their subscriptions?!

Like I said originally I just want to future proof the house because all the walls have been hacked off.

They don't have to be Sky boxes they could be freesat or it give me the option of moving the Sky box at any time n

OK, it wasn't entirely a serious question.:)
Hacked off about walls is new to me.

Like I said originally I just want to future proof the house because all the walls have been hacked off.

They don't have to be Sky boxes they could be freesat or it give me the option of moving the Sky box at any time n

In that case don't forget to wire CAt6 cabling to every point back to where you are likely to have a broadband router. Don't forget TV's, pvrs, blu-ray players . If you are thinking of a decent sound system incorporate loudspeaker cabling.

@logi. You don't get hacked off about walls, you hack the plaster off back to the brickwork ready for a first fit electrics etc. then re-plastering.:):facepalm:

Thanks TJT, I didn't know, not being a plasterer.
With apologies to OP I knew it only in the sense of being hacked off.

If you are hiding cables under the plaster for god's sake please put them in conduit of some sort (preferably large enough to allow inserting extra cables later and with a draw-string inside) to enable easy replacement of any cables that go faulty (drilled/nailed through etc) and to protect the cable from potententially corrosive action from the plaster contents.

Sorry Logiciel I thought you knew and were just making a joke.

Yes Dave I will be covering them. Although I'm dry lining so there's technically no plaster directly on top of the cables.

all new houses should have a network of conduit/trunking for media services,

Conduit/trunking doesn't need to be made of copper. :D

Personally I'd consider two dishes, rather than a multiswitch, feeding each room direct from the dish. I'd also run at least 3 cat 5/6 cables to each room, one for Ethernet network and two for HD video distribution or spares. More would be better. DAB sucks and internet radio or streaming services are better.

Conduit/trunking doesn't need to be made of copper. :D

Personally I'd consider two dishes, rather than a multiswitch, feeding each room direct from the dish. I'd also run at least 3 cat 5/6 cables to each room, one for Ethernet network and two for HD video distribution or spares. More would be better. DAB sucks and internet radio or streaming services are better.

Depending on what other antenna are fitted the OP may be restricted by planning regulations. He may want Terrestrial UHF, FM, DAB. Adding two dishes to this may require planning consent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom