1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What MP3 Player???????

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Toxic Twin, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Toxic Twin

Toxic Twin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Just joined these forums after browsing a loooong time.
    I am at a loss as to which MP3 player I should buy next I currently own a IPOD mini which I would love except for one cripppling feature which is now starting to REALLY annoy me battery life which is about 3 - 4 hours it simply isn't enough so going to upgrade and give my mini to my gf.
    I am considering 3 options 20gig IPOD colour, Sony 20 gig HD5, or one of the Irivers.
    The only thing that might put me off the IPOD is again battery life I have read that the new 20 gig colour IPOD's get 15 hours although mine was suppossed to get 8! And in 2 - 3 years when it dies I have to apple to replace it which I would imagine wouldn't be cheap!

The sony sounds like it has an AWESOME battery life but have been put off by SS I actually quite like ITunes actually it's quite easy for me to use. I have read a couple of posts on here saying u can use itunes on the HD5.
    To give you a breakdown of what I use my mp3 player for is mostly commuting to work which is about and hour a day to and from and also walking around town on the weekends and flights it's in these two areas that my mini lets me down as they oftn go over 3 hours!
    My music is about 70% from my own albums which I have converetd and 30% from the net and friends collections etc.
    So big questions I have
    1. for owners of the new IPOD 20 gig photo does that battery consistanty last 15 hours I read a rview I think it was on Ilounge saying it lastd for 17!!
    2. For owners of the HD5 are any successfully using itunes to rip and create playlists etc..
    3 Was also considering Irivr and they seem like great players but I don't really need all the extras lik fm tuner etc etc
    Thanks all
    A

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Toxic Twin

Toxic Twin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But won't that just give me the same life??
    It's not like my mini is that old when I first bought it I took it back as I brought something was wrong with the battery!!
    Full kudos to apple they replaced with a new mini altogther then I realsied that 3 - 4 hours was the battery life!
    I assume other mini owners get the same charge?

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The new iPods really do have the battery lives they claim. I managed over 14 hours out of a claimed 15 hours using a mixed range of high-bitrate files. The Sony's life is based on the very lowest bitrate, and that life goes down by quite a large margin once you start using higher quality music... as much as half the claimed life.

The newer iPod Minis have a 'real' 20-hour battery life. Now that the Nanos have been released, you might be able to get a used one being unloaded cheap.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's true that the HD5 battery life figures are somewhat 'inflated', because, as dodgy says, they're based on you using 48kbps bitrates. I use 64kbps (with which I'm very happy, by the way), and I get around 28-35hrs out of my HD5 battery ...

As for SS, it's really not the hassle it seems. I know some have had problems (and I don't doubt these are very real for them), but you also shouldn't believe everything you read - here, or elsewhere. Every user's experience of any hardware or software differs; and you never know how many of these reported problems might well have been down to human error.

Good luck choosing your new player, and welcome to the forum!

6. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    You can't use itunes to make smart playlists and then transfer them over to a Sony. itunes will only recognise the following devices:-

ipod 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, ipod color screen models, ipod shuffle, ipod mini 1G, 2G, ipod nano and the Motorola ROKR phone.

7. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest sake - how would you actually fit it? I thought the Mini was all sealed up and had no screws or things.. :confused:

8. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony do have good batteries and would last longer than the Ipods in most devices, but yes they are exaggerated and you will probably half the life on the HD5 at a high quality but even still thats heaps more than the ipods equivalent.

THe old minis have crap as batteries....they are so bad that many people got replacements, so get your hands on the newer mini's battery which lasts 18 hours and you should have no problems with that.

But yeah I own a HD5 and I am happy with it since it sounds decent, has gapless playback and its tiny. The controls are a little harder to use but i think its advantages outweigh that. Ipods a heavy chunky beast but is still good, it has a colour screen if thats important (isnt to me, just means less battery runtime).

Just get hold of each and test it yourself....its the best way......I recommend the HD5 if that helps you though.

Oh yeah SS is fine...and new software is coming soon anyway.

9. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most places that sell batteries provide instructions - although the example I gave doesn't seem to... :oops:

However, here's another:

http://www.ipodminibattery.com/mini_ipod_battery_replacement_instructions.html

It's just a question of prying open (carefully, obviously) a few clips.

10. KiNeL

KiNeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hateful though it is SS does the job of putting the music on the device so don't let that be your sole reason not to buy. Hopefully the new Connect software promised will be more pleasant to use.

As for battery life, Sony quote 40 hours for ATRAC and 30 for MP3 although they don't specify the bitrate. All my music is 128k MP3 and when I first got mine I specifically tested the battery life under what I believe are the most arduous conditions i.e. total random play. This means that the HD has to fire up and seek each and every track and even doing this a fully charged battery lasted just under 25 hours.

Don't forget also that, expensive that it is (£29.99), the HD5's battery is instantly replaceable.

BTW, if you hate your GF that much get another one !...lol :D

11. Toxic Twin

Toxic Twin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guy's thanks for the replies ... Have one last question as silly as it may seem if I purchase a new battery from one the places you have listed even that my mini is first gen and has an advertised life of 8 hours I can expect the new one to last 18 hours??
    thx!!

12. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you won't get 18 hours, but you should get more than before. It's the electronics inside as much as the battery capacity that define battery life between recharges. All HD DAP batteries are Li-Ion, so all have the same limits, except that developments in Li-Ion batteries do occur to provide higher capacity for the same size. So, a new battery for your iPod could well be of a higher capacity specification than your old battery is, so will give better performance.

Li-Ion batteries decrease significantly in capacity over time, so that's another reason why a new battery will give better performance than an old battery.

13. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    You can't do that Sas, it doesn't work that way. It's not a new battery in the 2nd gen mini, it's a new less power hungry chipset from portal player that gives the extended life. Sticking a battery from a 2G mini into a 1G mini will still give you crap battery life.

14. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a bit of research, I think I've found that the original iPod mini battery was 400 mAh.

Replacements for the iPod mini these days seem to be between 600-720 mAh (simply because the battery technology has improved, manufacturers can stick more capacity into the same sized battery), so in theory your iPod mini should play for between around 150% to 180% as long as your existing battery allowed it to when new.

The result is that you should get a significant improvement in your iPod mini's current battery life.

16. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The 2G has a very different set of electronics to the 1G Mini, so increasing the battery capacity will be the only way to improve battery life of the original Mini. Even then the 1G Minis will not approach the 2G Mini's life.

17. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok fair enough, but a newer battery should have more capacity anyway so it will increase over the original battery, and its overall life might be better too.

THe HD5's battery states 880 mAh, which is pretty good i suppose.

Does anyone know what mAh the Nano's battery is....

18. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Not sure but it's a real low mah annoyingly, they had to sacrifice some of the battery life in order to have that form factor.