1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What MP3 player?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Tipsy, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, can anyone help me? Ive been searching the web for a new MP3 player with a 20-40gb capacity for the last month or so. Ive looked at several places like Amazon and mp3player.co.uk to check out whats on the market and look at reviews but haven’t really come to any conclusion. I really like the look of the Sony NW-HD3 but im apprehensive that it does not have complete package. Im open to any suggestions of mp3 players in the memory bracket, can anyone offer some advice? However im not sure about the ipod as i think its too common/commercial for my liking!

Also, does anyone know of any plans of new Mp3 players with this memory capacity being released in the near future?

Thanx

2. img

img

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  3. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about one of the iriver's how do they fair?

4. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm i went into Dixons today and looked at the NW-HD3 and the 320SE, they happened to be next to each other in the display case. The Sony is by far the most attractive however ive heard the package provided by the 320SE is considerable for the price. Its going to be a hard decision!

5. roseda.y00

roseda.y00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well you could get a 60G Creative Zen Xtra for much less than a 40G ipod or other popular players. i got 1 almost a year ago for £284.99 so it should be reduced by now. try www.amazon.co.uk also it takes all files inc. mp3 WMA and it can back up your computer's harddrive if u need to

6. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure i realy like the creative Zen, bit bulky! im looking for something for a player that will fit nicely in your pocket and not be bulky

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I've recently had the same quandry, after two months of studying product specs and reviewing user opinions I came to the judgement that no player currently on the market meets all of my criteria. Therefore, I am going to buy a 20GB ipod as a stop gap till the next generation of platers is released, then sell it to m brother.

8. Tipsy

Tipsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm that worth a thought! Has anyone else got any thoughts about what mini disc player, currently available, is the best? :lease:

9. MStarkey

MStarkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    For what it's worth Tipsy, I've had a 20Gb Iriver IHP-120 for 6 months now & it is one of the best gadgets I've ever bought - don't be fooled into getting an IPod I personally know people who have taken them back when they realise how inferior they are to the IRiver - for several well doumented reasons.
    Regards,

10. Terry101

Terry101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe you can find some suitable mp3 players in this website>>igearbox.com<<
    If you are thinking to buy a mini disc player, you should go for Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD MiniDisc Recorder, since it can record up to 13 hours of music in one disc and 13 hours of music is almost as much as 13 CDs. This md-player functions exactly the same as a mp3 player, but it has mini-disc instead of built-in-headdrive.

If i were you i would just get a mp3 player, since mini disc is kind of outdated. :thumbsup:

11. Kart

Kart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Archos Gmini 400 a few months ago, and have been extremely pleased with it. I purchased it for £215, i guess it might be cheaper now.
    It has a 20 GB hardrive which i can store important documents on as a backup in case my computer fails.
    It has a compact flash reader, (My digital camera also uses one so this was the main reason why I opted for this one). So if I'm on holiday I can save my pictures on it, view them and edit them if I want, and reuse my memory card.
    You can also play games and watch videos on it, but I would not recommend you buy it for this reason as the screen is way too small.
    It's small, easy to use, solid and easily fits in your pocket.
    I use it dailly to listen to Mp3s, they sound very good.
    I can reccomend this one, particularly if a compact flash reader would be useful to you. If you want more details on this one then go to the Archos website.

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    Sounds like that is ideal for you :thumbsup: What's the battery life like as a mate of mine may be looking for something similar ?

13. Kart

Kart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John G,
    The battery life is very much dependent on how much you make use of the screen, so I have my screen set to close after 20 seconds of none use, to save battery life.
    I've never timed the battery life for normal music listening, I just charge it up about once a week. I've never thought that it has a poor battery life. However, I have used the screen when i was into playing one of the games and I did notice the battery life was seriously reduced to only a few hours.

Sorry I can't give you precise figures. Any other queries ?