What movies have the best sound effects to play on new speaker set up?

Ricky1080

Standard Member
Reaction score
What movies do you guys recomend that has good sound effects and unexpected explosions lol :clap:? I've got a new speaker set up with sub and testing out the sound... thanks

subwoofer wise...

master and commander, the dvd version for the better subwoofer effects, the blu ray for superior pq obviously

watching war horse on blu ray the other day, some of the trenches bombardments, phewww!

For sound steering most Pixar films are pretty good. Cars has some great effects and sound moving around (especially the first track scene).

The Dark Knight - the tunnel sequence has both great sound steering effects and an LFE workout for your sub.

I've actually been wondering this very thing myself. We've discussed this before, and there is a war movie that was recommend by just about everyone for the opening scene of battle. And it is not just that the scene is loud, but that the sound quality is very crisp and detailed as well as powerful.

It was -

Saving Private Ryan

Or

Flags of Our Father

Or

Something similar.

But I can't remember what. Maybe some who remembers that old thread will come along an enlighten us both.

Myself, given my limited collection of videos, I always play the Voldemort/Dumbledore Ministry of Magic Duel from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. This scene has a lot of complex sounds in it, dialog, roaring flames, flowing water, tinkling glass, explosions, as well as the snap and crack of spells being thrown.

Still would like to know what that war movies is though. It was recommended by several people in the discussion, again, not just for its intensity, but for the absolute clarity of the sounds.

Steve/bluewizard

A good movie to check out to test your speakers would be " Letters from Iwo Jima" which has plenty of deep thunderous bass ( the air bombing when the Japanese forces are hiding in the caves and when the Americans assault the beach head ).

The film also is a good test for the rear surround speakers with bullet sounds whizzing around everywhere.

IMO one of Clint Eastwood best directed movies.

Mi4, battleship, super 8, underworld will all give your speakers including the sub a very dynamic workout

For subs -

First encounter of the monster in Cloverfield has pretty good LFE. Also if you have a laptop with HDMI out or 5.1 sound hook this up and listen to some of the Blue Man Group videos. Also the spaceship landing in Walle.

For others -

Avatar has some good bits and also the opening battle in Gladiator (sound of arrows and caterpults) and Finding Nemo generally.

I've actually been wondering this very thing myself. We've discussed this before, and there is a war movie that was recommend by just about everyone for the opening scene of battle. And it is not just that the scene is loud, but that the sound quality is very crisp and detailed as well as powerful.

It was -

Saving Private Ryan

Or

Flags of Our Father

Or

Something similar.

But I can't remember what. Maybe some who remembers that old thread will come along an enlighten us both.

Myself, given my limited collection of videos, I always play the Voldemort/Dumbledore Ministry of Magic Duel from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. This scene has a lot of complex sounds in it, dialog, roaring flames, flowing water, tinkling glass, explosions, as well as the snap and crack of spells being thrown.

Still would like to know what that war movies is though. It was recommended by several people in the discussion, again, not just for its intensity, but for the absolute clarity of the sounds.

Steve/bluewizard

From memory it was always the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan that was recommended.

I have to agree with the above, my shortlist of movies are:

Master & commander - great highs and subwoofer work out, those canons are heavenly and the bells ring stunning!
The dark knight - brilliant sound effects throughout, mainly the car and motor bike scene.
Avater - awesome 3D immersive sounds, especally when he first goes to jungle and also the music throughout.
Saving private ryan - crisp and sharp highs and great mid sub bass work out at the long gunfire fight scene

bit late of a reply bud what about Armageddon it gives your sub a great workout when the shuttle takes of or when they show the asteroid...

Back in the days of my very first home surround sound experience using an Akai Pro Logic VHS player (can't remember the model) I would have no hesitation in saying Top Gun. It was brilliant and had me completely hooked on surround sound.

I enjoy the crisp sound and contrast of sound in Gravity

Oblivion,Pacific Rim,Skyfall,World War Z,Kung fu Panda or any Pixar movie, Lone Survivor,Transformer movies and a whole load more including all teh above already mentioned.

I enjoy the crisp sound and contrast of sound in Gravity

I must have been watching this around the time you posted. :) Finally got round to watching itl ast night and was impressed with the sound in particular the bass: There were some parts that must have been well below 20Hz as I could just feel my trousers flapping and general sense of unease. Probably helps having subs that go flat down to 10Hz I guess, but it's moments like that which make the effort building them worthwhile. The surround effects were good too, giving that 'out of the room' effect, which helps with the impression of space.

I won't rush to watch it again though; kind of a 'nothing' film for me, which is why I generally rent discs.

Inclined to agree with most of these ,my top 3 in terms of what I've listed to would be Super 8 ,absolutely phenomenal ,World War Z and last but not least at The thin red line. A very honourable mention to master and commander ,there's plenty going on in that soundtrack .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom