What Movie Should I Watch? - A project I've been working on for the past year.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Fectom, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Fectom

Fectom
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello!

When one has a large variety of movies to pick from and no idea which one to watch, nor wanting to pick randomly (like my girlfriend, who's picking process is longer than the run-time of the movie itself), I came up with a website to make choosing shorter and easier.

WMSIW.com is a filtering system, which asks you questions, trying to figure out what movie suits you the best. As a work in progress, the website is currently free to use and completely ad-free. What I am looking for is feedback and suggestions where to go, what is wrong or missing.

Thank you for your time!

2. tommitch

tommitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    I like the idea.

It looks like there is only the highest rated films on IMDB? would be good to get a much wider choice e.g. including Netlix's library of films (not sure that would be possible) as there a lot of unknown films on there that you would never have even heard of normally, instead of the most well known films.

3. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    I also like the idea and well done for getting the website up.

Initial thoughts echo above, that I would find it useful to see a wider range of films particularly foreign films / hidden gems.

Or is the intention to input your library and select a title from that range?

It'd be nice to perhaps reset the questionaire, without having to leave the website. If the film range was to include (hypothetically) the entire imdb library then perhaps some user defined pre-settings (I.e. Score higher than 5, minimum revenue... Etc) to narrow down the range, would be useful.

Rather than select one film, its it possible to perhaps narrow it down to three? And then provide a percentage recommendation? I.e. Film recommendations :

1. Alien (88% - because you chose female lead)
    2. Wonder woman (91% - Because you chose action)
    3. Resident Evil (93% - Because you chose zombies / horror)

Just some ideas to flesh this out. But I think it's a great idea. Wish you luck.

4. Fectom

Fectom
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Adding films is currently 100% manual, because I don't trust most of the input someone else has put up on e.g. IMDb. That means, that I add about 10 films per hour and I keep on doing that on my free time. The rare gems are coming and I am open to (movie) suggestions at some point when some of the priority features are done. One of those priority features would be to limit or excluding titles depending on inputted IMDb list (for example, exclude all my rated movies).

The pre-setting thing is a good idea, which will most probably be implemented as well at some point. The required data is already scraped from IMDb so adding the feature isn't quite hard.

For the percentage scale, I have though about that (something like Netflix does). I would need to reinput all the data on a scale from 0-5 instead of current 0/1, as in whether the movie is not violent at all, a bit violent or... Tarantino. Also I would need a huge amount of feedback whether people actually enjoyed the recommended movie or not. I wish I could implement that and if this thing turns out to be successful, it would be a great place for using my Mathematical Statistics degree, but as it takes too much time it is not a priority. More of a wish...