What modern dvd players have good usb compatability and rgb scart?

cherrcherryball

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one I got from a car boot sale for a fiver last year but any modern mkvs dont work, older ones do so it must be the codec and it doesnt play mp4s and even some older avi's play but have interlacing problems.

I bought a blu ray player intending it for my plasma and crt which are side by side, so I could watch sd encodes on my crt and hd on plasma but it doesnt have scart only composite which is nowhere near as goo.d

To be honest my current dvd player is good enough I just need a good way to play any video files so even a basic media player would be fine but again I think finding one with rgb scart and not composite will be near impossible.

I am incredulous that there have been any DVD players produced that do NOT have RGB output available.

I would expect any of the even mediocre brands to have such a facility.

Playability of various filetypes via USB is a much taller order.
Such capability has been leaked out gradually over the years so you may have to go to recent players to get all the capability you want.

Well I dont mind what it is, be it a blu ray player or dvd or a media player but modern dvd players seem to have hdmi only and the ones that have usb seem to not play mkvs.

Mine does play older mkvs and recognise newer ones just doesnt have the raw power to play them.

And my brand new blu ray player doesnt have scart.

I dont mind paying a bit for one, even if it costs similar to a blu ray player its just my xbox 1 is showing its age not being able to play newer stuff.

Well I dont mind what it is, be it a blu ray player or dvd or a media player but modern dvd players seem to have hdmi only and the ones that have usb seem to not play mkvs.

Mine does play older mkvs and recognise newer ones just doesnt have the raw power to play them.

And my brand new blu ray player doesnt have scart.

I dont mind paying a bit for one, even if it costs similar to a blu ray player its just my xbox 1 is showing its age not being able to play newer stuff.

Ah I see. I was misunderstanding.

I thought you were looking back to very old machines.

Indeed this will be a problem and I doubt you will have success.

There has been a seven year long campaign by the industry to 'close the analogue hole.' ... the long term aim of which has been to strictly control the movement of digital files.
Any manufacturer wanting to include a DVD drive will have been limited by the restrictions imposed by the licensing which will have prevented allowing the play of certain filetypes as long as analogue connectors were present ( Degraded composite may be a partial and time-limited exception.)

It is only when controlled digital connections (HDMI) were the sole high quality outputs on devices that the [play ability of these filetypes has been permitted.

Designed to stop you doing exactly what you are trying to do - unfortunately.

I do see some out there that support mpeg 4 but dont know if I should risk buying as that doesnt mean they play mkv.

Ironically my blu ray player is going to get next to no usage now as wanted it for my sdtv as it can play files.

Do you know any blu ray players with scart that can handle mkv?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom