Answered What moderate priced receiver should I buy for use w/CXN Network Player & Aeromax Tower speakers?

groovalicious

Novice Member
Reaction score
What modest/moderate priced receiver should I buy for use w/CXN Network Player & Aeromax Tower speakers?

i have a 1980's Harmon Kardon receiver that has seen better days. Right now, it's not giving me enough inputs (thanks to avforums members helping me get my CXN up and running <3 ), so I'm thinking of getting something else. Also, the HK is just 30 watts per channel and perhaps some higher wattage would assist the speakers?

How I, a person of modest means, ended up with a Cambridge CXN and Aeromax tower speakers (both purchases were floor models, but still)... it was just a quirky moment in time when I was bestowed with extra cash. But that's not representative of my budget at all. I would like to keep this in the "under $300" range, yet good quality and reliability are essential. "Intuitive": a plus.

Not only am I not a tech person, but specifically, the technology has become much more sophisticated for someone who has held on to old school equipment quite happily over the decades.

So now I have no idea if these new receivers that have all these digital aspects to them, as well as many extra features, could be in conflict with the CXN network player. For just one example: some have built in DACs, whereas the CXN already has built in DACs. That one just happened to jump out at me, but the question is a general one about things I know pretty much nothing about that could conflict between the components.

I don't want to mix my music system with my television. I would only ever want that for watching concerts on TV and used to do so many years ago, but now the present configuration puts my stereo system in a separate room from the TV.

I figure I'd be safe and maybe happier if I could get something analog and call it a day. This option is becoming difficult to find and may be an impractical goal. Furthermore, it may not even be the best choice. But all I feel I need is a minimum of 3 inputs plus phono. Whatever is an appropriate amount of wattage to be a good companion for the Aeromax speakers, and a good companion to the CXN. If there are a couple of other features, like Bluetooth or HDMI, or USB, that's fine, as long as they don't cause problems for my components. And speaking of components, I will continue to be plugging in an old school CD player -- Yamaha carousel (well, actually I might have to replace that in a while), a tape deck and a turntable. While recommendations of specific units would be great, I suppose the most important thing is the clarification about possible conflicts between components, or less than ideal pairings.

Also interesting, is someone pointing out with foresight, what I might not be considering about recent and near-future technology and what I might be missing in terms of features if I don't include them in my choice.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like you got some nice kit. It would be a shame to go to cheap on an amp. if they are the CA aeromax speakers they are efficient and wont need massive power to drive them.

I'd probably look at a yamaha as301 or AS501. Price wise seems you are in the states so its hard to know. A second hand good condition Pioneer A400 or similar might also be a runner.

(my mistake- you say receiver and I suggested amps, but maybe you dont actually need a radio with the cxn)

This may fit your bill though only 2 rca other than the phona and a little over budget but well reviewed model
TA-100

Actually, yes, I do want a radio/receiver. And I really need at least three RCA inputs besides the phono. Thank you for your response, muljao!

You don't need to worry about "conflicts".

As I said on your other thread, a simple switch box will solve the lack of inputs, something like this maybe. Although it also has composite video you can just ignore it. A quick search didn't show any that were audio only over there.

Where you may hit a problem with a new amp is if you still record to tape. Very few have a tape loop. Stereo receivers have always been more popular on your side of the pond & very few are sold over here, so difficult to make recommendations. But as has already been suggested, do you really need a tuner when you have Internet radio in the CXN?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi RBZ5416! I appreciate the box suggestion. I thought about it and actually decided that for the time being, I'm going to use my tape input, because I rarely play my cassettes. But the receiver has some problems that I've been living with for a long time, so I would like to get another one. If I could get around to converting my cassettes (some are very special and irreplaceable) to CD or (heaven forbid!) media files, I could let go of the cassette player, I suppose. But that would involve yet another post to avforums wherein I ask, "What's the best way of converting ....?"

We have a terrific community radio station here that I listen to a lot. I suppose I could stream it, but I prefer to stay with analog as much as possible, as long as I have a choice!

That you don't have a lot of stereo receivers over there is something I find so curious! How, historically (last 50 years), have your countrymen gotten their radio broadcasts? Something like this? ;)

Off to sleep. Good morning to you and thanks!

Attachments

• old time radio.jpg
    old time radio.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Oh by the way, I guess there could be some confusion with why someone with a CXN would be so dedicated to analog at the same time. I'm just wanting to hold on to analog, and at the same time, trying to find a practical way to cope with the alternative, so I've got a mix of things going on. Just because I have the CXN doesn't mean I want to give up everything else. Although, give me a while with that CXN and we'll see. :D

As many people are selling their analogue tuners, often very cheaply. Why not also look at amplifiers, which will give you better bang for your buck, and a good second hand analogue tuner.

Most radio in the U.K. is migrating to digital broadcast. Broadcast licensing is very different in the U.K. compared to the US where AM is non existent, and the FM spectrum is very narrow and is getting very hard to get analogue licensing which with a small footprint makes financial viability restrictive. Most U.K. radio is also available via streaming services which is often more convenient and better quality (higher bit rate) than the broadcast version, so it is becoming a more popular choice. It’s easier to plug an Echo Dot into your amp and listen to the radio compared to messing around with a tuner and aerials.

How, historically (last 50 years), have your countrymen gotten their radio broadcasts?
Separate tuners although AV folk for some reason generally got a tuner in the box too.

I guess best bang for your buck will be used but as I said, we don't have the product knowledge of receivers for actual recommendations. Anything by Marantz, Rotel or Yamaha that isn't too old & has the inputs you desire should do the job.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Doh, sorry, mental note to self to check op status before replying!

Also forgot even though this is predominantly a U.K. forum we do have foreign speaking nationals on her from the USA.:devil::D

Anyway, if you wait a couple of year bestest buddies May and Trump will let you import them tariff free!;)

You won’t do better than this fine receiver for your cash.

Cambridge Audio TOPAZ SR20 Stereo Amplifier & Receiver - Black - Hardly used | eBay

A good dac section to plug your CD player into.

A fine phono stage indeed.

And three additional analogue inputs.

Enough power for your speakers and plenty of headroom too.

The Aeromax speakers are very well thought of so a decent amp is important if you want to get them playing at their best.

The SR will sound like magic compared to the HK.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
What modest/moderate priced receiver should I buy for use w/CXN Network Player & Aeromax Tower speakers?

i have a 1980's Harmon Kardon receiver that has seen better days. Right now, it's not giving me enough inputs (thanks to avforums members helping me get my CXN up and running <3 ), so I'm thinking of getting something else. Also, the HK is just 30 watts per channel and perhaps some higher wattage would assist the speakers?

How I, a person of modest means, ended up with a Cambridge CXN and Aeromax tower speakers (both purchases were floor models, but still)... it was just a quirky moment in time when I was bestowed with extra cash. But that's not representative of my budget at all. I would like to keep this in the "under $300" range, yet good quality and reliability are essential. "Intuitive": a plus.

Not only am I not a tech person, but specifically, the technology has become much more sophisticated for someone who has held on to old school equipment quite happily over the decades.

So now I have no idea if these new receivers that have all these digital aspects to them, as well as many extra features, could be in conflict with the CXN network player. For just one example: some have built in DACs, whereas the CXN already has built in DACs. That one just happened to jump out at me, but the question is a general one about things I know pretty much nothing about that could conflict between the components.

I don't want to mix my music system with my television. I would only ever want that for watching concerts on TV and used to do so many years ago, but now the present configuration puts my stereo system in a separate room from the TV.

I figure I'd be safe and maybe happier if I could get something analog and call it a day. This option is becoming difficult to find and may be an impractical goal. Furthermore, it may not even be the best choice. But all I feel I need is a minimum of 3 inputs plus phono. Whatever is an appropriate amount of wattage to be a good companion for the Aeromax speakers, and a good companion to the CXN. If there are a couple of other features, like Bluetooth or HDMI, or USB, that's fine, as long as they don't cause problems for my components. And speaking of components, I will continue to be plugging in an old school CD player -- Yamaha carousel (well, actually I might have to replace that in a while), a tape deck and a turntable. While recommendations of specific units would be great, I suppose the most important thing is the clarification about possible conflicts between components, or less than ideal pairings.

Also interesting, is someone pointing out with foresight, what I might not be considering about recent and near-future technology and what I might be missing in terms of features if I don't include them in my choice.

Thanks!
. Most of the current contributors ,with a few honourable exceptions are from the East side of the pond, as we call the Atlantic..So there will be a dudifferen between what is available.
There are differences between what passes for radio on both sides of the pond. In particular the UK , and also my part of Ireland, are able to receive the excellent transmissions of the BBC , a state run service paid from a compulsory licence fee. I am also capable of getting the local equivalent RTE. .. . These services are available as FM radio broadcasts in the 98 to 108mhz range, as DAB Digital radio transmissions and as co channels with the normal terrestrial TV system. In addition they are also broadcast via satellites. ... These are listed in order of increasing signal quality... They are also generally available on web broadcasts, at close to satellite quality.
If I were going into a radio reciever now, and money important I would purchase , (and have recently), a second hand good quality AVR with FM for local stations , probably without HDMI inputs, as these will be viewed by home cinema types as obsolete. Brands differ but Sony ,Yamaha, etc would be good bets. They are premium products of a decade ago, are built like tanks and have a lifetime of use ahead of them.
I would get one with an internal DAC, so that any CD player or DVD player could be used . I would suggest 80watt RMS per channel power output. And the more inputs the better. .. the Yamaha for instance has 7 including the internal tuner. I would get a chromecast audio, to pickup music channels on the web, and maybe a TV set top box to get nationally broadcast radio.. do they do that in USA? . But your CX might fulfil that need for you.
It is unlikely that the kind of AVR i have in mind will have a phono or turntable input, as they would predate the Vinyl revival, so if that is important you will need a preamp.
With one of these you will not have the latest gadget, with the smartest future proofing, but you will have a machine into which everything can plug in, and if set top boxes become obsolete, then they can be junked.

Last edited:
What do you mean by RECEIVER? Do you mean an Amp in general, or do you specifically mean a Stereo amp with a Radio in it? And, do you actually use the Radio? And do you need DAB/DAB+ or would simply AM/FM do?

Bearing in mind, unless I'm mistaken, they are going to cut off all analog broadcast of AM/FM in the near future.

Or perhaps you are referring to an AV Receiver. Though given that you are in the HiFI (meaning Stereo) Forum, an AVR seems unlikely.

Next, BUDGET? How much money do you have to spend?

Next, what other equipment do you need to connect? TV? Turntable (do you have a Phono Pre-Amp)? CD Player? Network Player (obviously)? Other?

The most logical choices would be the Cambridge Audio CXA-60 (60w/ch) and the Cambridge CXA-80 (80w/ch) Amps. Have you looked at these?

CXA60

CXA80

Cambridge CXA60 (Silver) and Cambridge Audio BT100 DAC+ Dongle

Cambridge Audio CXA-80 Stereo Amplifier

Yes? ... No? ... Maybe?

Start with your working budget.

Then are there any special features you need? If you have Network Streaming do you really need Radio? I don't care one way or the other, but we need to know. Phono In? Sub-Out? Additional Digital Inputs? USB-PC Input? Other?

But absolutely we need a working Price Range.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Yet another thread you haven’t bothered to read.
TL;DR

Though I did scan through the entire thread looking for the information I requested.

It seems he does want Radio, but he didn't say what KIND of Radio - DAB/DAB+ or AM/FM or Shortwave? He has a local radio station he likes, but is that Radio Station also broadcasting into the Internet? That would be worth finding out. If so, he can pick it up on Network Streaming ... so, in that case, no real need for a Radio.

Also how is that local radio station broadcasting now - Analog or DAB/DAB+, and if analog, how long before it switches to DAB/DAB+? Does anyone know the cut-off date when all analog broadcast are going to stop?

Assuming it actually meets his requirement and fits his budget, the Cambridge SR20 Receiver (£350) with DAC is a choice well worth considering -

Cambridge Audio Stereo Receiver

It appears to be AM/FM ... is that going to work, and for how much longer is it going to work?

Radio Tuner are fading because no one is really listening. The Big Stations are digital and also broadcasting into the Internet. So, little actual over-the-air broadcasts going on, and the quality has dropped with the switch to DAB/DAB+.

Not sure of the Sensitivity, but here is a stand alone Tuner with DAB/DAB+/FM priced at £120 -

TIBO TI435 DAB/AB+/FM Tuner - Superfi

That should cover all the bases for a very long time to come.

Other Stand Alone Tuners -

Onkyo T4030 DAB/DAB+/FM Tuner - £199 - Superfi

Yamaha TD500 DAB/DAB+/FM/AM Tuner - £279 - Superfi

I'm also asking for clear concise itemized statements, not long cluttered paragraphs. The easier it is for us, the better it is for him.

I stand by the questions I asked. Especially BUDGET?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
I am in the US, and sorry I didn't realize this is mostly a British site. The way things are over here, I wish I were on your side of the pond! Not to mention it would be a lot easier for me to have that sweet Cambridge SR20 shipped to me, Paul7777x, or one of the Rotels, Ugg10!

As mentioned in original post, I said that I would like to keep this in the "under $300" range, but really with you folks being across the pond, I wouldn't expect you to get too specific. The ones you suggested will be good for me to study and ultimately help me decide.

I don't think I have emphasized enough how little I know about the technical aspects of AV equipment. Prior to tonight, I hadn't heard of DAB, but I looked it up! Oh, OK, duh. There are a few other things some of you mentioned that I would have to look up, too.

I wasn't sure if I should post to the hi-fi forum, since I was looking for a modestly-priced component, but I did so because of the involvement with the Cambridge speakers and network player. I'm glad I did, because you have given me a lot of good feedback.

Original intention was an analog receiver with a radio, with inputs for CD, CXN, cassette tape player, and phono. I'm just ambling out of the stone age -- reluctantly!

I'm not interested in an AV receiver, or at least I wasn't. Nowadays, that's what receivers seem to have become -- or most of them, anyway. I was looking for an analog receiver, with a radio, but now that you've sent all this valuable perspective my way, I'm not sure what I'll end up with. But I feel I've been well-armed! I think this amount of information and perspective will do nicely for now. While I can't comment on each and every suggestion you've given, I do appreciate them all.

Ugg10, in regard to your comment: Ha! Maybe I should be checking into Russian receivers! :(

Oh, and the "he" is a "she." ;)

ps We have National Public Radio, but it doesn't broadcast all the same programming to the whole nation 24/7. Just parts of the day.

The CXN, being British, has a lot of BBC pre-programmed into it and I can listen over here. Haven't delved into it yet, though, but I find listening to British news less depressing than American news. Must be the fab accent. ;)

I am in the US, and sorry I didn't realize this is mostly a British site. The way things are over here, I wish I were on your side of the pond! Not to mention it would be a lot easier for me to have that sweet Cambridge SR20 shipped to me, Paul7777x, or one of the Rotels, Ugg10!

As mentioned in original post, I said that I would like to keep this in the "under $300" range, but really with you folks being across the pond, I wouldn't expect you to get too specific. The ones you suggested will be good for me to study and ultimately help me decide.

I don't think I have emphasized enough how little I know about the technical aspects of AV equipment. Prior to tonight, I hadn't heard of DAB, but I looked it up! Oh, OK, duh. There are a few other things some of you mentioned that I would have to look up, too.

I wasn't sure if I should post to the hi-fi forum, since I was looking for a modestly-priced component, but I did so because of the involvement with the Cambridge speakers and network player. I'm glad I did, because you have given me a lot of good feedback.

Original intention was an analog receiver with a radio, with inputs for CD, CXN, cassette tape player, and phono. I'm just ambling out of the stone age -- reluctantly!

I'm not interested in an AV receiver, or at least I wasn't. Nowadays, that's what receivers seem to have become -- or most of them, anyway. I was looking for an analog receiver, with a radio, but now that you've sent all this valuable perspective my way, I'm not sure what I'll end up with. But I feel I've been well-armed! I think this amount of information and perspective will do nicely for now. While I can't comment on each and every suggestion you've given, I do appreciate them all.

Ugg10, in regard to your comment: Ha! Maybe I should be checking into Russian receivers! :(

You might try here for any advice or special offers.

Hi-Fi | Cambridge Audio

And these are well thought of. I’m sure there’ll be a few used ones flying about in the US.

TA-100

Thank you very much! Excellent suggestions. I was looking at the Cambridge you mentioned last night. Either way, I'll have to save up. Maybe later this year. Much appreciate your input. :)

I am in the US, and sorry I didn't realize this is mostly a British site.....

If you are in the USA, check these two sites -

CRUTCHFIELD -

Stereo Receivers, 2-channel Receivers, Bluetooth Home Stereo Receivers

ACCESSORIES4LESS -

Stereo Receivers | Accessories4less

Accessories4Less sells B-Stock, but it typically comes with a limited Manufacturer's Warranty.

If you are trying to maximize your money, YAMAHA is always a good choice.

Other places in the USA -

AudioAdvisor.com
MusicDirect.com
Frys.com
NewEgg.com
BestBuy.com
ABT.com

And many others.

As mentioned in original post, I said that I would like to keep this in the "under $300" range, but really with you folks being across the pond, I wouldn't expect you to get too specific. ...

We actually get people from around the world here - USA, AU, EU, New Zealand, Asia, Middle East, so many of us are familiar with markets around the world. I'm probably the go to guy for USA products and prices.

US$300 is a little lean, especially given the quality of the other equipment you have. But we do the best we can with what we have.

Accessories4Less will give you the most value for the money, but they are limited to an ever changing stock level.

Next, you might want to give some thought to what FEATURES you want and need. For example, you mention not wanting to mix TV and Audio, then in the next breath, you mention when you would want to do this. If there is remotely a chance that the TV will be connected to the Sound System, then you need a DAC (digital to analog converter). Most Yamaha, not all but many, come with a DAC built in. As to buying an external DAC, these can range from $25 up to about $5000. Though the common DAC tend to be in the roughly $200 to $400 range.

In a very basic straight forward Receiver with 50w/ch, this Yamaha RS300 Stereo Receiver is a bargain at a modest $180 -

YAMAHA R-S300 2-Ch x 50 Watts Natural Sound Stereo Receiver

This Yamaha RN303 Network Receiver has Network Streaming and Digital Inputs (DAC). Price at a still modest $220 -

YAMAHA R-N303 2-Ch x 100 Watts Networking Stereo Receiver

... I hadn't heard of DAB, but I looked it up! ...

The USA has switched to Digital Broadcast of over-the-air Television. The UK/EU have also done this, but in the UK they also switched Radio Broadcast to Digital. DAB (digital audio broadcast) and DAB+ is a slightly improved version of DAB. Nothing you need to worry about since the USA still uses standard analog AM/FM.

I wasn't sure if I should post to the hi-fi forum, ...

If you are interested, here is a similar forum in the USA.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/88-audio/

I'm in that forum too under the same username.

We all do the best we can with what we have. Many who come here are truly looking for Entry Level systems and are seeking advise from more experienced users. We do the best we can to help people with all budgets in all situations.

So ... you are a SHE?

If you can at all raise your budget, then that opens the field to many better Amps with more features. But likely you would need to be in roughly the $500 range.

This is considered a very good Receiver with Network Streaming and 2xOptical and 2xCoaxail inputs

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver - $399 - Accessories4Less -

YAMAHA R-N602 2-Ch x 80 Watts Networking Stereo Receiver

Here is at the A-Stock price, just to show you that you are getting a pretty substantial discount -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver - $599 - CRUTCHFIELD -

Yamaha R-N602

The Yamaha RN602 is probably the best amp for the money - Lots of Features, Network Streaming, DAC, 80w/ch.

That (RN602) would be my recommendation if you can raise the Money.

Here is a long discussion thread on the Yamaha RN602 -

NEW: Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver!!!

The main complaint, as you will see in the Thread, is related to Internet Radio. Some thought the implementation was a little clumsy. But most common Internet Streaming Services like Spotify and Pandora are built in and easy to access. Keep in mind the are something like 20,000 Internet Radio Stations, that's a bit difficult to manage.

However most are very pleased with the sound quality of the Yamaha RN602 for the money. Given that you are getting a $200 discount, a bit fiddly Internet Radio is a small price to pay for an otherwise good amp.

For reference, here are the full specs on the Yamaha RN602, and at the same site you can find specs on other Yamaha Amps/Receivers -

R-N602 - Overview - Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - United States

Here are Yamaha HiFi/Stereo Components in general -

Hi-Fi Components - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - United States

I would not say that Yamaha makes the best amps, but they make good quality High-Value amps, and yes, for the record, I do have a Yamaha Receiver (RX-797 100w/ch Stereo Receiver).

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom