1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What minimum spec should I go for, for my new desktop?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by steve 111, Jan 25, 2005.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Getting a new desktop in the near future that I want to use for basic video editing. Can anyone recommend what sort of spec I should be looking for in terms of the following:-

Hard Drive Size
    RAM size
    Graphics Card
    Processor Speed

Thanks.

2. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Steve,
    If I was you, I would make memory my first priority. I would have at least 1gb RAM and two hard disks, a 60gb for software and a 160+gb for capture. I think it works out at about 1gb for 5 mins of captured video. You then need to double that as you would want space to save your project whilst working on it. You 'can' get away with a 2.6mhz chip. If you are a PC user, try to ensure it has hyper threading technology, as this helps in the calculations when redrawing the screen. I don't think a graphics card is as important unless you go for a very high spec that has on board processing.
    DVD writer is also an item that should be high up on your list.
    HTH.
    Brum

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I'll second Brum's recommendations. Well I would have to as they are exactly what I have recommended to a fair few others on this forum that have ask the 'min specof a PC' question.
    I do my editing on a now fairly old P4 1.8Ghz processor with 1Gb of RIMM RAM and this is plenty good enough. A faster CPU will help, but more memory is going to be a bigger benedfit IMO. 2 HDD's is also a big advantage as it helps to spread the load for the PC during capture and file conversion. And yes, you must get a DVD burner on any new PC as it is the only way to do your video masterpiece justice. VHS will make it look poor in comparison.

Mark.

4. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Mark,
    I'm just after a laptop for being the 2 millionth poster :D I pretty well ripped these specs from one of you many other postings!!! :devil: (except the HT bit which I read up on myself :smashin: )

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Brum, can't say I noticed :devil:

Well that's what we are all here for. To pass on our little bit of knowledge that others have been good enough to pass on to us in the first place. In the past couple of years since joining this forum I have learnt loads about AV that I now spend my nightshifts at work passing on to others :D - well I need to do something worth while when at work.

Mark.

6. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Thanks for your help on this. What sort of budget will I need for the spec you've recommneded, and do you know of any good retailers/suppliers I should look at to get it?

Steve

7. ketank

ketank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey steve,

I just bought a new PC for Editing...

Dell 5000 series.
    P4 3.0G HT
    512RamDDR2
    160GSataHdd
    15"TFT

£577. Del+VAt

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you already have a screen etc and therefore only need the base unit you should be able to get a good editing PC for a fair bit under £500.
    My advise on where to buy would be to go to a computer fair and talk to a trader who will build the PC to your exact specs. Failing that then buy a PC mag such as Micro Mart and go through the adverts in there, you should still find a few companies that will build to your own specs/budget. IMO you should steer clear of 'badged makers' as upgrades can often be a real pain as they often use their own design of parts. This means you need to buy their own parts at their prices.

Mark.

9. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had a custom built PC last October, pretty much using the above stats. It cost me £850 incl.
    The conponnants which I researched and hand picked come to about £700. Then the shop charged their markup.