Question What media streaming box should I get?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by angelboy, Aug 12, 2019.

1. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I've had hit'n'miss expierence with a few different streaming boxes/sticks and I'm thinking it's close to upgrading.

I have an Acer Revo running Linux & Kodi which up until recently had been faultless but I broke the keyboard dongle so set up the Kodi app to use as a remote - trouble is it keeps dropping out and I have to reboot the entire router to get it to work, so that doesn't go down well with the family every time I switch off the router!

I also had a WeTek Play 1 (or 2 can't remember) Kodi box running LibreElec but since the last update it's crashing all the time and I can't downgrade the software no matter how many time I try. Their site says the download is broken and clearly they're not doing anthing to rectify it.

My Dad gave me his old Amazon Fire Stick gen 2 which worked fine for a while then it randomly drops the Wifi connection and now even the ethernet! I've had a right pain getting it to even open the home page.

I'm sick of crap streaming/software issues so wondered what the next/best step would be.

Any ideas?

2. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    What kodi box do you have? You might be able to install CoreElec,

3. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    WeTek Play 1

4. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
  5. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155

Yes, this is the one I'm having issues with

6. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    if you are having network problems with the fire stick & the revo, are you sure the router/network aren't the problem?

Anyway, I think it much depends on you budget.

There are loads of cheap android boxes around. In my opinion, kodi has better playback. But plex is flexible enough to play & share media remotely.

A nvidia shield is not cheap, but you can install plex server on to it. (I have one)

If you want plex, then something you can install plex server to

https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/

NAS's to transcode, are very expensive. But a small pc with windows might be a solution, again not particularly cheap. You can also install Kodi.

Full Android Box Chart 2019

shows a list of android boxes

miniPC2019

this shows a list of mini pc's, not cheap, & I'm not sure how well plex would run.

what is your budget?

7. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I'm not having any other issues with any connected device on the network. The Firestick worked fine, I then plugged it into another TV whilst on holiday and the wifi signal was so poor it wouldn't connect. When I came home and plugged it back in it kept saying it could see the router but that the router wasn't connected to the internet - which was clearly wrong as everything else was connected to the internet. Cue a week long load of problems until it just miraculously started to work. Then the same day it dropped the connection so I had to reboot everything again. I can't be arsed with this type of system if it's going to be so unreliable. When it worked initially I thought about replacing my Revo in the bedroom but now I'm not so sure!

Well, I'd rather buy some decent 2nd hand gear than new full price. The Revo has been faultess and I paid about £100 6 years ago. As tech moves on and items wear out then replacing bits become more hassle and less attractive.

I don't need a ton of features - I don't have a 4K TV - I don't have a massive library of media on drives/DVDs/etc - I don't usually download or store anything on the devices - I don't subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sky blah blah blah - I'm happy to stream via apps or Kodi add-ons.

Those links look great.

What's important is for me to be able to update the devices easily.

The Firestick should be easy enough as it's linked to Amazon, so I'd assume they'd be updating regularly until they want to sell you a new device - which is what I'm afraid of (and wonder if that's why people are noticing connection issues!?)

The Revo and the WeTek were both accessable via my Mac so I could drop update files on them via the network and they'd update on reboot - nice and easy until the software developers screw up the lastest release and have no idea how to fix my issues.

8. JimboH

JimboH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I have a osmc vero 4k+ I'm thinking of posting on here for sale, that might work for you and its an excellent box.

Vero - OSMC

Let me know if that might be of interest and I'll get a sale thread made up.

9. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Have you been running Kodi on it?

I'm unfamiler with the OSMC system but it looks interesting.

What were you thinking?

10. JimboH

JimboH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    OSMC is a Linux operating system, where essentially kodi is your os. That's one of the reasons why I thought it might be good for you, from what you said about using kodi. You don't have to exit out of kodi as everything is contained within it, it's one of the best choices to run kodi and is recommended on their own forums.

START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2019)

In terms of price we would need to create the sale thread to discuss that as per the forum rules, but to give an idea I'd be happy within the the budget you said you spent on the revo last time.

11. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I think good support is a must.

Most android box company's bring out a new box frequently, & don't bother to update the one's they have.

I have heard, the Vero is a good box, with good support. I don't know if you can install kodi addons. I don't think it can act as a plex server if you were interested.

12. JimboH

JimboH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    That's a good point actually, their support is first class. Their forums are great and the lead dev even posts on here as well.

Kodi addons, skins etc can all be used as usual. You wouldn't really know the difference between osmc and kodi to be honest.

As for plex it isn't something I use so I wouldn't like to say.

13. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    At that price level I could pretty much buy a new one with 12 months warranty (£107 from the official website)

Cheapest sold on eBay was £56 whilst there's one advertised for offers at £75.

There's no point in creating a thread for me unless we're somewhere inbetween those prices really.

14. JimboH

JimboH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Like I said we can't speak about price, as per the forum rules, outside of a sale thread. I wasn't saying I wanted £100 for it I was trying to give you an idea without discussing it directly, as it seemed like you hadn't heard of the box before.

I think I'll leave it as I don't want to break any rules here, good luck finding what you are looking for.

15. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155

That's fine.

I don't think we were breaking any rules though. All we were doing was establishing interest and intent, to which you'd have the option to give me first refusal. Unless we're in the same ball park then there's little point in moving forward. You did say that you'd be happy to think around the price I paid for my Revo so I could determine where you're coming from but you don't know where I'm coming from unless I tell you - which I did. I didn't want you to set up a thread and then for me to then let you know my position because if we're miles apart I didn't want you to think I was wasting your time.

But like I said, I'm happy either way and thanks for your advice regardless :)

16. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    You could go budget

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_736120.html?wid=1433363#anchorGoodsReviews

If you Kodi add-on, try Android apps for direct. Google Cinema HD, Tea.TV , Pluto TV, PlanetKnowledge.

Lime Player, MX Player.

Just a few thoughts

17. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Nvidia shield TV. With Kodi. The daddy.

18. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    It looks good but if I'm paying good money I want a totally stable platform.

I've learnt to not only search for 'reviews' to see what people think but all search for 'issues, crashes, freezes etc' to realise that there's really no streaming device that isn't riddled with stability and performance issues.

I'm wondering if it's better to buy a piece of chinese crap for £20 and run it for 6 months and once there's no updates or it starts to pl;ya up just replace it with whatever is the latest piece of crap.

My general outlook has always been to buy good quality and then it'll last (which has worked with the Revo for 6+ years) but I'm thinking that logic doesn't apply to the world of media streaming devices!

What to do.......?

19. JabbaNut

JabbaNut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288

IPhone made in China
    Nvidia shield TV made in China.

Yeah Chinese crap you say.

20. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155

If you're going to try and quote me don't forget the important part of my comment - 'Chinese cra.....FOR £20'

Please, show me where I can buy either of what you mentioned for £20 and I'll buy 'em.....

21. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I would buy a cheap box, & change it as & when you feel it's not good enough.

I would suggest Amlogic 32GB storage 2-3GB RAM & gigabit LAN, (but not essential) most cheap boxes have 100Mbit

Aren't Apple & Nvidia American company's?

Most hardware is made in China.

https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-c_12313/price_range-4/

22. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155

I think I'm edging towards this way becuase when searching there's not 1 device where people don't complain of issues. So why spend a fortune if I'm going to be tearing my hair out with it at some point when the manufacturer has done a software update or they have a new unit coming out so they clow down your connection or whatever.

I found this thread interesting: Is there a media player that isn't rubbish?

23. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,486
    But if the major manufacturers with their pricey units and big R&D budgets can't get it 100% right what makes you think you might be better off with cheap no name brands? Only obvious advantage to me that they give is that they can be binned without too much of a loss.

24. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Business.

The big companies, with all their R&D budgets, DON'T get it 100% right not becuase they CAN'T get it right becuase then why would you buy their next mutli-billion pound device that's already ready in the warehouse to be shipped if the current one does eveything you need?

Amazon - the biggest company in the world owned by the richest man in the world yet they can't design, develop, manufacture and maintain a product that works 100% of the time.

I'm leaning towards this logic.

25. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,486
    I think it is ridiculous to suggest that Apple or Nvidia purposely produce devices that are substandard so you will buy next years models. Their media players are not even on a yearly refresh cycle like AV receivers or TVs.

You never know you might get lucky with a 40 quid no name box off Amazon from an unknown manufacturer but I suspect we would all know about it if there were really any gems out there.

26. Xanderzdad

Xanderzdad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Vero 4k+ is the newest model (I have this and their older model) and is rock solid in its performance and support. As it can play practically any file including 4K videos with full surround sound then you have no need to install PLEX or anything else. It just works out of the box. Store - OSMC is the place to look.

27. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Of course they do. Right now both companies will have technology already developed to roll out into future products but their current products haven't reached their maximum selling cycle. They design in pre-planned upgrades from the off so that people that aren't early adopters might be tempted with the next release that includes this slightly better incremental addition or benefit. Most companies do this to take maximum advantage of the market. Do you honestly think that both companies will just bin millions of ready made products because they've developed something new or alternatively, stop developing because they have a few hundred million units left to shift?!?!

Car companies already ship brand new cars that the manufacturers already now there are issues with and recalls are commonplace and factored into the sales of new models.

It was commonly known that Bang & Oulsen repackaged Philips internals and stuck a huge mark-up for the design/brand value.

I'm sure others can give many more examples of how businesses don't fully let the consumers know the truth behind their products becuase business is there to make profits.

It's your choice to think it's ridiculous but that's the way it is - this is business!

So the point is there are no gems, irrespective of price point or brand quality becuase not one device is without issues.

Go figure....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  28. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,486
    OK have it your own way, I'm eating my lunch :)

29. angelboy

angelboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Enjoy!

30. Will I Aint

Will I Aint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    +1 for the shield, I might be old but Nvidia a still dropping updates on the shield experience around a month back. Mine has been rock solid apart from kodi issues but that's software not hardware. Don't touch the Pro versions noisy disks and problematic but 16gb version is safe. Currently using MRMC which Koying moved from Kodi to work on.