What material for building a box in the UK?

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by MemX, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Hey all :)

I have been reading up here and there, and on another large, USA based AV forum they seem to build boxes out of 'baltic birch' because they feel it is best.

I am gathering that this will either be impossible to get hold of in the UK, or very expensive if it is available, so what options do we have?

I have read about the usual MDF (and have previously built a car sub box out of it many moons ago!) but also the alternative MDF that is more waterproof and better to screw into (as mentioned in the CNC'd box thread on here), UK Birch Ply, normal plywood...

Which is best and/or most void-free?? And which is lightest but still good quality?!

If I am lucky enough to get hold of the box plans I am hoping for, any weight saving I can make would be very handy indeed! :laugh:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give! :)

2. roland seal

roland seal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    In the musical drum world birch is generally accepted as the second best plywood for drum making and north american maple plywood is regarded as the very best. Don't know if that helps or hinders. Good luck.

3. Ashmanuk

Ashmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    MDF or better still Medite is all you need to make a cabinet, But thickness of the walls is important and making the box structurally strong as you can make it.

I used 25mm + 18mm MDF for the front baffles with a castermite wood glue to bond those together plus wood screws as well :) so very strong.

Musical instruments are a very different thing as they will play much higher frequencies which would carry a tonal signature from what ever it's made from.

4. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    As Ashmanuk has said, mdf is great, just make sure its strong enough and braced if need, my 95l cab is made from 25mm mdf with a double think front baffle 50mm, and i can give my 15" ae driver 750w rms and place a cup on top of water and not a ripple, mind you the box and sub weigh like 50kg.

5. m4ccam

m4ccam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I built a box from 25mm mdf, glued and screwed it together, the glue was nothing special, just evo stick resin. When I built the pair iv'e just done I thought I could maybe take the old one to bits and use some of the mdf as bracing or something. I had to destroy it to dismantle it so I think plain old mdf will be plenty strong enough.
    I was going to use the same glue as Ash used for the new ones but after the performance of trying ttake the other to bits I just used the Evo again.

As for weight, mdf and saving weight don't really go together.

6. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I too have read that any slow grown birch wood is the best material to use. 25mm mdf equates to 19mm in slow grown birch which is down to the way the wood grows in cold climates.

Mdf is cheaper of course but a lot heavier.

7. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    lol

I hear what you're saying :laugh:

Thank you for the replies, all :)

I think it will have to be MDF if I build anything because I imagine Birch will be £££! I might have a dig around to see what I can find, though, so I'll let you know if I find anything good :)