1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what makes you see a film?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, Jun 1, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what is it that makes you go and see a film?

i trust certain critics and tend to stick to directors i like, i dont care about the "stars" or the genre and try to ignore hype.

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Word of mouth has to be the strongest reason that I'll buy a DVD.
    Never go to the cinema now.

Next it would have to be the star or director. Genre is in some way important, but not if the other elements all point to it being a film I might enjoy.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rarely go to the cinema either.

So what makes me want to buy a DVD is reviews from the critics (I'll read a few to try and compensate for biases), reviews from the public (posted on the web), trailers, word of mouth, synopses, etc. What my mates think of a film carries a lot of weight (when it's somebody who has similar tastes to mine in that particular genre).

In some rare cases, I'll just want to see a movie regardless of what anyone else says about it because it's a director I particularly like (e.g. David Lynch). But I'll rarely want to see something just because a particular actor/actress is in the movie, although this might be an initial motivation for checking out the reviews, trailers etc.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Macmillanbrush,
    For me it has to be originality. I read somewhere once that most movies are made up of 5 or 6 plot themes. I'll see the ones that don't fall into this catagory.

Turkish

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean plotlines, it's 20, as revealed in this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0898795958/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-1218288-5238063

And you'd be amazed how many films DO fit into those 20 plotlines - so if you only pick films that DON'T fit, then you're not leaving yourself too much to watch! :p

Analyse films too much and you lose the magic - that's my view :)

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    McAlpinebrush,
    Word of mouth has got to be it for me.

Big Ron

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I still enjoy going to the cinema, somtimes alone but usually with friends as a 'social occassion'.
    Personally I am into action/sci-fi movies - whatever I think looks interesting I will go and see.
    I use recommendations and reviews as a guideline but in the end I will make up my own mind to watch it or not. Which reminds me I just missed "High Crimes" ... :(

Minority Report looks promising and I think MiBII could be fun, as well Matrix 2 (and 3) is on my "must-see" list.
    Blade II will be out here next week and though the reviews suggest it isn't that great (another failed sequel?) I probably will watch it.
    And whatever else comes along and looks promising.

There is no rational reason behind why I choose those movies, just my "feelings" ...

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matrix 2 and 3 will be the first reason I have had in years to go to the cinema. I really can't wait. :)

9. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Last film I went to see at the cinema was LOTR. It was just before Christmas. I had had my projector system just over a month. I swore I would never go to the cinema again after LOTR. The cinema was great, seating, picture, sound, were all first class. But I clearly cannot cope with audiences. Cinema is for mass audiences, so a cinema should clearly cater for the majority approach to cinema going...... which it does. The conversations, rustling of paper, frequent movement in the auditorium is clearly now the norm. I have no problems with that, I just don't want to be part of it, and fortunately, all things taken into account, I can now get a much better experience at home.

To come back to the original question, I am attracted to films by actors, directors, sex, friends, reviews, and strange towns (if I am away from home and want to kill time).

I buy about 12 dvds a month, so I am happy that I am still supporting a medium that I love.

10. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Alan.

Over the past 10 years I have had one bad experieince after another in cinemas. That is why i have got into home cinema with such enthusiasm.
    I went to see Vanilla Sky because I like Cameron Crowe but the place was full of giggling school girls who were there to look at Tom Cruise.
    I have visited cinemas three times in the past six years and like Alan I buy the DVD if i want to see something

11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I cannot understand "the problems" you have at the cinema. Naturally due to the amount of people it won't be totally quiet (yeah, I know in the Opera it works but that's another kind of people) and I am too annoyed by handphones ringings but that doesn't happen too often - and the rest of the noise floor like munching popcorn is just part of it. Haven't had any experience with giggling girls or people shouting etc.

Well, I do like it but also watch my DVDs and will surely go for a projector when I settle down one day, but I don't think it will stop going to the cinema because of that. I just love the huge screen and flair of such an "event".

12. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Show me the cinema where i can gain experience with giggling girls and i'll be there !:devil: