What makes Sky worth it for YOU?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by G Canavan, Aug 6, 2005.

1. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having Just got rid of Sky+ because I found it harder to find something worth watching for the money, perhaps one or two programs a week I just wondered what makes it worth it for you, is it the sports or is it just to keep the kids happy.
    And what would it take for you to say thats it, no more?

2. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I find myself in this situation right now. I do want to give it up as there is nothing I now watch. But to go back to five channel TV horrifies me.

The other two Sky threads make me realise that a lot of people despise Sky but still keep it.

Maybe they are brainwashing us.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    From day1 SKY has offered programming that I could not get from the "free" broadcasters, to this day that is still the case.

Unfortunately the current market and business models means that PAY telly is still more attractive to most broadcasters than FTA/FTV so if I want to watch what I want I have to pay, so I do.
    In that regard PAY telly is no different anyother form of entertainment be it cinema, theatre, parks and just basic days out and taken further jsut another use for your money as smoking, drinking and other products/services that are not essential to living:)

I can not see a time when PAY telly is not the major source of my inhome entertainment although it may not be coming from SKY and may not even be via satellite.

4. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Starburst

What is it you watch though? Is it ten programs a week or just one, I found it was just one or two programs a week on Sky1 for me, seen the movies and dont watch sport so what is it you just can't do without.

5. TrevP

TrevP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being with Sky since it's early inception, and SKY Digital from day it launched, and now with Sky+ (well box is now faulty but that another thread !!!), personally, can't be without it.
    For personal reasons, recently had to do without for 5 months, and was it just crazy having only 5 channels. Most of my TV is SKY Sports, esp footie, (no suprise there), ATR (Racing Channel), plus plenty of stuff on all of Discovery channels..and I will always find something to watch if none of those grab my fancy. Most of my watching habits are not available on FTA. I don't movie watch much though, so that is the only exclusion I have. Also have 'multiroom', for my 8yr old. Once again, stuff he watches is not available FTA.

I do not begrudge 1 penny I have paid over the past 10years+. It costs money to provide the infrastructure to provide me with the entertainment that I would otherwise miss out on, so I expect to pay for it.

I can understand if you are not a Footie fan or Documentary/factual programme watcher then SKY is not really gone be worth it, but to me as said, worth every penny.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

You want me to list every program:)

Entertainment wise I watch a lot of SKY1, Hallmark, Scifi, FX with bits and bob from a dozen other broadcasters.
    ITV2 and 3 have some half decent US dramas along with Five.
    MotorsTV has a lot of stuff I watch (V8's, Brutes, DTM) along with the Champ Car and ETTC on Eurosport and never forget the documentary channels which are both entertaining and educational.

SKY Sports...
    Prem and League footy, 20/20 Cricket, Speedway, boxing and IRL. Will also be watching the upcoming A1GP.

Don't currently have SKYmovies.

Of course my viewing pattern has altered thanks to downloading a lot of stuff and since I work a three pattern shift rotation I rely on SKY+ to get everything I want leaving the rest of the family to do their own thing when I am at work or asleep at any hour of the day:)

Basically there is little I like on the PSB's with the exception of Top Gear(BBC), F1 (ITV) and the handful of US crime dramas on FIVE.

So for me the £33 a month (£36 in September) is excellent value.

7. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Had sky for years, got the full package, multi room and sky + and whilst I think the support that goes with it is shocking I still wouldn't be without it. I watch a variety of channels and programmes - comedy, drama, sport, music, movies and as Starburst says I don't consider it any different from paying to go to the pics or buying an album, DVD or book. I record all the programmes I want to see and then watch as and when I want to - I love the freedom that it gives me.

For all the hassle that I sometimes get with the hardware and support I still think its worth it :smashin:

8. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I found Sky a bit like going for a meal and being asked to pay for everything on the menu when all you had was the starter.
    Sky would be great if you paid for what you watch and not for all you dont.

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    stargate SG1
    Stargate atlantis.
    The simposons.

NEW BATTLESTAR.

All on sky one.

Boston leagal on living tv.

WWE on skysports.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

So would the BBC.

11. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll give you that one.

12. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    We're almost certainly cancelling our Sky subscription very soon. It just doesn't seem worth paying the fee for something which doesn't get used that often anymore.

Can you still use the Sky box as a freeview box?

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Freeview is the marketing term for non subscription DTT broadcasts so satellite hardware is not compatible with DTT broadcasts.

You can use the SKY hardware (with ex-sub smartcard) to view the FTA and FTV channels on Dsat. Not the same lineup as Freeview, some extra and some missing so you'll have to decide which line up suits you best.

Freeview

Freesat

14. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I live in Switzerland ... so no UK TV for me otherwise (ok, except the BBC FTA satellite channels).

Good things - choice of many channels, generally good picture and sound quality, all regular UK channels available, Sky+ means perfect recordings, Dolby Digital on many movies (with Sky+).

Bad things - ridiculously expensive for what you get, inflexible package options, very restricted range of hardware because it's a proprietary encryption system.

I'd consider dumping it anyway and going to the 'Freesat' lineup, but Sky+ is pretty cool and I can afford it, so why not? Mind you, if I was in the UK again and had a Freeview PVR/DVD recorder combo I would probably drop Sky.

Gav

15. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats what I did ,got rid of sky and bought a Topfield PVR.
    Once you've had Sky+ it's hard to go back to a VCR.

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

On the flipside I have looked at the Toppy and consider it a ridiculously overpriced piece of hardware for a service which has a very limited channel lineup.

At the end of the day the important thing is whatever works for the individual:)

17. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could not agree more.

18. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been a Sky+ subscriber for a while and I would not be without it. The subscription is less that a meal out for the two of us each month, and I'll stump up for HD when the time comes :clap: :clap: :clap: .

As for the content

Lots of sports, particually the US sports
    Films in DD5.1
    Dicovery channels / History channels
    Kids channels (I have a 1 + 4 year old), a life saver on wet winter days
    BBC 3+4, ITV 2+3 (my wife watches soaps)
    Sky one (24, Enterprise)
    Channel five in a watchable state

I'm just hooked :devil:

19. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It looks like sports and kids are the main reasons for sky as most of the prog's people list are avalible on freeview or they will end up on it.
    It must be cheaper to rent a DVD than use the PPV and see them 12 months before sky.

20. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Personally, I find I prefer to go to the pub for big sports events so hardly ever watch Sky Sports. Like you say, with the profileration of DVD rentals (especially by post) you could likely do better than the movie channels for less cost. And most good shows make it to terrestrial FTV sooner or later.

Really, at the end of the day Sky is a pure luxury item. It's amazing that it's done as well as it has. But pointless trying to put a 'fair value' on it since it's worth whatever people will pay.

Gav

21. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dont know about you but by the time ive flicked through the channles and found something worth watching its just gone into adverts or finished, which is why sky+ is very useful

there are only a handfull of programmes i watch.

TOP GEAR (they make me laugh!)
    bbc news 24
    crimefighters
    street crime uk

22. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There seems to be a small minority that "despise Sky" but they are very vocal, and they never seem to make much sense. You say there is nothing to watch, but don't want to give it up. Maybe it's just the paying bit that you want to give up ? :)

23. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I've had Sky for 14 years or so and before that BSB and the "squarial". I now have Sky+ and will probably go for HD when available.

Even though I have been "loyal" for so long I was thinking about giving it up but two reasons kept me subscribing

1/. The kids would have lynched me

2/. Sky +. I work away a lot and it has really come into it's own. I don't watch that much but I do watch the Premiership, SPL, Sopranos, Discovery, BBC3/4 and Simpsons

Even though we've got the full package we very rarely watch a movie

24. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes Kenny, it was the ease of Sky+ that kept me on for so long not the programs I watched.
    As more and more PVR's come on the market I wonder how many will switch from Sky+.

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not many. Sky+ is one of the few PVR's that people can actually work without consulting their kids :)

26. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How long before a PVR with the ease of Sky+ (Adult Friendly) turns up.

27. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I imagine there's lots of people despise SKY; they just don't subscribe. But surely it isn't hard to despise a supplier that puts out 'quality' stuff such as babestation, poker games, sales channels and a wealth of other crap. In our case the only reasons for having Sky were that the Freeview checker said we couldn't get reception and it was good for the kids (I know what you mean Kenny Glasgow!). It turns out that a decent aerial does pick up freeview so we have ditched SKY. With a HDD freeview box you can record programmes OK and the picture/audio seem to be better than most SKY channels. And for me there is zero point having movie channels that only get films after they have been out a year, when Amazon rentals will send you 6 per month for £10.

There are still relatively few quality programmes out there but at least I am not paying daft money for the service and having to trawl through dozens of channels of garbage every night. Anyway, rant over! In the end of the day it really is personal choice and I can see that sports fans are left with fewer options.

28. ctcrm

ctcrm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive only had bad experiences with sky themselves, but its still the best the product is still the best choice at the moment.

ive had sky+ for a few days now and so far Im very impressed.

29. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Ease of use for Sky+ is its biggest selling point

My 73 year old mother can work Sky+ with no problems recording her soaps and Murder, Mystery, Death programmes when she's at the bingo :rotfl:

In the past she could never get to grips with video timers or the code thing a few years back

Even my 3 year old can watch her progs from it, so long as you don't delete anything and change the order :eek:

30. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky don't put out these programmes. They accept payments from these companies to include the programmes on the EPG. That is their total involvement. If you are in business, you don't turn down any extra business that's legal, so I don't despise Sky for doing this. Maybe you should despise the people who subscribe to these channels ? A lot of the blame has to be placed on parents who allow their kids to watch TV unsupervised in their bedrooms.