1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what makes "depht"in a tele ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jeroenskie, Nov 16, 2003.

1. jeroenskie

jeroenskie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me the following.

Yesterday I was in a store that had 20 tele next to eachother .
    What was very strange was the following.

One tele had enormous depht in the picture and the one next to is (was 3 times more expensive) was flat as a paper?????

How can this be ,WHAT is the reason that you get depht in a picture ??

Hope I explaint it oke .

greeting jeroenskie

2. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    are you talking about pure flat screen compared to curved screen? The actual depth of the tv set? The depth of the picture itself meaning that some tvs give a 3d type display?

3. jeroenskie

jeroenskie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry ,I'm talking about the 3 d effect:blush:

kind regards Jeroen

4. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A TV image is 2D only and therfore cannot have any actual depth to the presentation. :lesson:

Over the life of CRT direct view TV we have become accustomed to the way in which images are presented and have learned to interpret the artificial edge which is evident between objects on standard 50 Hz screens as 'depth'. It has allowed us to distinguish the foreground from the background in an unnatural way even though the TV image is flat. Objects we see in real life don't have edges around them, we use (amongst other methods) the difference in the image being received via each eye to determine how far away something is. Film is, after all, only a series of still pictures shown in quick succession so that our brain is tricked into thinking that they are a moving image. Newer 100Hz TVs and other flat screen technologies aim to create a more film-like image without the artificial edgyness created by old-fasioned interlaced TV sets and in doing so produce a much smoother picture.

It does take a bit of getting used to. You can muck around with the settings on 'digital' displays to make them look a bit more like interlaced TVs, but that's kind of missing the point isn't it?

Please excuse/correct me if I'm talking crap(!)

5. jeroenskie

jeroenskie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what you are saying ,but do you not see differences in 3 d .
    I saw once a marantz plasma and the depht was out of this world ! I also saw a thompson and this 3d aspect was real flat.

can it be something with contrast and......?

kind regards jeroen

6. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know exactly what you mean. I saw a Sony crt once and my reaction was :eek: , what the fudge!!! Looks like I'm wearing 3d glasses!
    Have no idea however how that is possible.

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think its down to contrast and edge definition, the most 3D images seem to be produced by the displays that can create an image with very good contrast levels and can handle edges well, with no fuzzy, blurry, digital noise, digital artifacts present, and can display a stable non flickery image.

From what I've seen the Sony CRT's especially the older 50Hz models always seemed to give what I would call a very 3D image, I find a lot of the new 100Hz CRT's dont have nearly the depth of image as the old Sony's.

I havent had the chance to see many plasma displays, but the Panasonic's are often said to be very 3D in their presentation of an image and they also have a very good contrast and black level...